Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 09:42 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 70 Posts

Try this

Antigravity H6/Group-48 Lithium Car Battery

$659.99$949.99
  • H6/Group 48 OEM Automotive Case size (directly replace stock battery).
  • LxWxH: 10.75 x 7 x 7.5 inches.
  • Amp Hour Options: 24 Ah, 30 Ah, 40 Ah, or 60 Ah.
  • High Power: 24Ah=1000CA, 30Ah=1200CA, 40Ah=1500CA, 60Ah=1800 Cranking Amps.
  • Exclusive RE-START Technology: Wireless Jump-Starting built-in; just press the button on your Keyfob remote.
  • Complete Battery Management System built-in.
  • Ultra Lightweight: Drop up to 40 lbs instantly! 70% lighter than lead.
  • Safest Battery Technology using full BMS and Lifepo4 Lithium chemistry.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:47 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
All of the cars that are lighter than a 992 are either much slower or more expensive. Use common sense please.
A 718 GT4 or a Lotus isn’t common sense for a dedicated (lighter) track car? I think you need to use some
common sense. As said, you know the areas where all cars can shed weight. You just want to start fights as usual.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:13 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

I think the engine is pretty heavy. Start with that?
Old 01-19-2023, 11:03 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I'd like the three minutes I spent on this stupid, useless thread and OP back please.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
Dan006 (01-20-2023), Fullyield (01-20-2023), zachr (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:00 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

[Raises hand]

You know… you can own more than one car. There’s no way to lose 100lbs without compromising its utility as a daily driver.

If you really want to lose that weight, here’s how you do it at your own risk. To be clear, these suggestions will compromise the safety systems of the vehicle to save weight.

1. Remove/front and rear bumper beams. Don’t get in accident, because your insurance company won’t like this one bit.
2. Ditch the A/C compressor and condenser. Not necessary for most of the year.
3. Strip the interior bare. Get rid of the back seats and related hardware. Pull out the carpeting and insulation. Remove all plastic trim and the headliner. Door cards go as well.
4. Replace your OEM seat with a carbon fiber bucket. Ditch the seat rails and have a fixed bracket mount to the factory points. Don’t bother with a passenger seat, because your significant other won’t want to ride in this car when we are done.
5. Airbags are just dead weight. They all have to go. You’ll probably have to terminate them or use PIWIS to make the faults go away.
6. Under the hood, remove all of the plastic around the frunk and the tub. Your 911 will no longer be suitable for the rain, so you might as well pull the wiper motor and windshield washer hardware.
7. Replace your OEM battery with a lightweight battery. In the old days, I would say you could remove the alternator and run total loss electrics, but these modern ECUs and fuel injection systems don’t like that.
8. Your 992 will protest the PCM removal, but you can ditch all of the speakers. You don’t need them. If someone has a workaround, let the OP know.
9. Most aftermarket carbon fiber offers precious little weight savings, if you can find really lightweight dry carbon pieces, go for it, but don’t buy the stuff that uses fiberglass underneath. It’s really hard to get weight savings over the aluminum pieces with the cheap stuff.
10. Windows. Everything gets replaced with plastic. Astounding weight savings getting rid of that glass. With the wipers removed, you won’t be scratching anything up. Buy a case of plexus. You’ll learn why. Ditch the power window motors. Yeah, you might regret having 86’d the air conditioning, but you will be light.
11. I would normally suggest a lighter headlight fixture, but don’t know of many good alternatives. To pass state inspection, you will need lights. You can do everything that I mentioned so far and still pass inspection in many states.
12. If you’re not worried about state inspection, it’s time to ditch the cats and do a lightweight exhaust system.
13. You might be thinking “Why hasn’t he mentioned wheels yet?” Well, the OEM wheels aren’t much heavier than aftermarket DOT alternatives. So, might as well skip the DOT approved wheels and go for some carbon featherweights. You will have to change them out for DOT wheels for inspection depending upon the sophistication of your state inspection process.
14. You can potentially save weight by ditching the active rear spoiler, but pick your aftermarket alternatives carefully, because the cheap stuff is invariably heavy.
15. Cages add weight, aren’t a great idea on the street, and may even cause a car to fail inspection in some states. That being said, if you’re this far, you have stripped out all of the safety systems, so your call.
16. You can trim a few more pounds by ditching the PASM suspension for the aftermarket, but weigh them first. Lighter arms for a 992 will probably require fabrication.

There you go. If you do the above, you’ll save hundreds of pounds. The car will be quicker and absolutely miserable on the street. 😜

… and this is why it makes sense to own more than one car. 😁

If I missed anything, let me know. While I created this list tongue in cheek, I basically listed a bunch of things that I have done in the past when I was young and stupid. Lol

Last edited by detansinn; 01-20-2023 at 01:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
porsche1234 (01-20-2023), Scuderia WOT (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

If the OP is serious, he needs to speak to @Robert Linton and read through this thread to see Robert's work. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reduction.html

Impressive stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (01-20-2023), detansinn (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:24 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Thank you. Might also look at my Instagram page - @robertlinton1.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Linton:
detansinn (01-20-2023), pirahna (01-24-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:59 AM
asunnyhero
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Nailed it on the wheels and inconel exhaust. You can take it a step further and get lighter tires too.

On the TTS a full inconel exhaust equals to -70 pounds of weight savings.

Lighter battery can save you another 30-40 pounds.
Yikes, how heavy is the stock battery?
Old 01-20-2023, 07:41 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Buy a track prepped Miata.
The following 3 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
aggie57 (01-20-2023), detansinn (01-20-2023), Fullyield (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 07:54 AM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
Curb weight (Manual) 3,298 lb

Carrera T:
Curb weight (Manual) 3,254 lb
Why are these not further apart given that the T has a lighter battery (irrespective of RAS choice), no back seat and lighter glass? Is there anywhere that the S saves weight over the T?

As far as weight savings ideas -- base stereo perhaps? Subwoofers are heavy...

Last edited by RichJ_cars; 01-20-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:13 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Buy a track prepped Miata.
Driving a 992 with PDK on a track is like using cheat mode against a Miata.

I tracked a race prep Miata for a day and I was exponentially faster in my M2 Competition. If he's conditioned to a PDK 992, there is no way he'll want to go to a Miata.

Personally, I think most weight loss measures are going to be self indulgent. I went on a major weight loss plan in my 993. I removed the stereo, converted it to RWD, put in an RS steering wheel, lightweight flywheel and RS clutch, lighter weight mufflers and lighter weight wheels. I dropped about 200-300 lbs of weight. The two things that made the most meaningful difference were the lightweight flywheel and the wheels. Static weight loss is overrated, IMO, unless you are talking a few hundred pounds. Rotating weight and unsprung weight are the most impactful. Removing weight from the rear with an exhaust is worthwhile as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (01-20-2023), Wilder (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:17 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars
Why are these not further apart given that the T has a lighter battery (irrespective of RAS choice), no back seat and lighter glass? Is there anywhere that the S saves weight over the T?

It's hard to reduce the weight of these cars substantially, while maintaining streetability, without some serious cash outlay.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (01-20-2023), Fullyield (01-20-2023), rk-d (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:40 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,503 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars

Because most unneeded weight has already been engineered out of or removed from the same chassis and basic engine that is used by all 992 coupe options. Check out the weight of a Targa for comparison.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:47 AM
Dan006
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
Whenever I say something that's true on this forum many of the people get butt hurt and call me names. But they never address the true stuff I say and therefore, makes y'all look like you're turning to defense mechanisms because I said something you didn't like

It is better to be silent and look like a fool than to speak and leave no doubt on the subject.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan006:
icanthelpit (01-20-2023), Wilder (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 09:54 AM
Dan006
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
[Raises hand]

You know… you can own more than one car. There’s no way to lose 100lbs without compromising its utility as a daily driver.

If you really want to lose that weight, here’s how you do it at your own risk. To be clear, these suggestions will compromise the safety systems of the vehicle to save weight.

1. Remove/front and rear bumper beams. Don’t get in accident, because your insurance company won’t like this one bit.
2. Ditch the A/C compressor and condenser. Not necessary for most of the year.
3. Strip the interior bare. Get rid of the back seats and related hardware. Pull out the carpeting and insulation. Remove all plastic trim and the headliner. Door cards go as well.
4. Replace your OEM seat with a carbon fiber bucket. Ditch the seat rails and have a fixed bracket mount to the factory points. Don’t bother with a passenger seat, because your significant other won’t want to ride in this car when we are done.
5. Airbags are just dead weight. They all have to go. You’ll probably have to terminate them or use PIWIS to make the faults go away.
6. Under the hood, remove all of the plastic around the frunk and the tub. Your 911 will no longer be suitable for the rain, so you might as well pull the wiper motor and windshield washer hardware.
7. Replace your OEM battery with a lightweight battery. In the old days, I would say you could remove the alternator and run total loss electrics, but these modern ECUs and fuel injection systems don’t like that.
8. Your 992 will protest the PCM removal, but you can ditch all of the speakers. You don’t need them. If someone has a workaround, let the OP know.
9. Most aftermarket carbon fiber offers precious little weight savings, if you can find really lightweight dry carbon pieces, go for it, but don’t buy the stuff that uses fiberglass underneath. It’s really hard to get weight savings over the aluminum pieces with the cheap stuff.
10. Windows. Everything gets replaced with plastic. Astounding weight savings getting rid of that glass. With the wipers removed, you won’t be scratching anything up. Buy a case of plexus. You’ll learn why. Ditch the power window motors. Yeah, you might regret having 86’d the air conditioning, but you will be light.
11. I would normally suggest a lighter headlight fixture, but don’t know of many good alternatives. To pass state inspection, you will need lights. You can do everything that I mentioned so far and still pass inspection in many states.
12. If you’re not worried about state inspection, it’s time to ditch the cats and do a lightweight exhaust system.
13. You might be thinking “Why hasn’t he mentioned wheels yet?” Well, the OEM wheels aren’t much heavier than aftermarket DOT alternatives. So, might as well skip the DOT approved wheels and go for some carbon featherweights. You will have to change them out for DOT wheels for inspection depending upon the sophistication of your state inspection process.
14. You can potentially save weight by ditching the active rear spoiler, but pick your aftermarket alternatives carefully, because the cheap stuff is invariably heavy.
15. Cages add weight, aren’t a great idea on the street, and may even cause a car to fail inspection in some states. That being said, if you’re this far, you have stripped out all of the safety systems, so your call.
16. You can trim a few more pounds by ditching the PASM suspension for the aftermarket, but weigh them first. Lighter arms for a 992 will probably require fabrication.

There you go. If you do the above, you’ll save hundreds of pounds. The car will be quicker and absolutely miserable on the street. 😜

… and this is why it makes sense to own more than one car. 😁

If I missed anything, let me know. While I created this list tongue in cheek, I basically listed a bunch of things that I have done in the past when I was young and stupid. Lol

you forgot about the pilot's liposuction. :-)

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Weight savings ideas for 992?