992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight savings ideas for 992?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

I believe lightest configuration with PDK is going to be spider wheels (unconfirmed), 4 ways, carbon ceramics, carbon roof, base interior, aerokit
Old 01-19-2023, 03:58 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Forgive me for not wanting to scroll through a couple thousand posts in the T thread, but what does a T actually have that makes it more lightweight? My understanding was everything that is lighter about the T is available as an option on at least some other models (LiFePo battery, buckets / rear seat delete, lightweight glass etc). Is that incorrect?
I think his point is the T is a better starting point. No rear seats, lightweight glass, lithium battery, etc, etc, all as standard.

but OP is stuck on PDK so I’d actually recommend a used turbo or turbo s. Heavier, yes, but the power difference will more than make up for it. ( I owned a 991 turbo for a bit and found it super powerful but admittedly boring bc of the pdk. But if you must have PDK, it’s brilliant)
Old 01-19-2023, 03:59 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I believe lightest configuration with PDK is going to be spider wheels (unconfirmed), 4 ways, carbon ceramics, carbon roof, base interior, aerokit
wouldnt the Carrera exclusive design wheels be lighter because they are forged and have less material? There’s a lot to the spider wheels. Idk, just asking.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 04:22 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
wouldnt the Carrera exclusive design wheels be lighter because they are forged and have less material? There’s a lot to the spider wheels. Idk, just asking.
correct, the Spyders are heavier (don’t know exact weight), the Carrera exclusives are the lightest @ 22 and 28lbs according to someone who measured them.

Last edited by reddsektor; 01-19-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Maybe. I was just guessing. Not a lot of info out there on the wheels.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:26 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Removing the backseat under cushions/belt receptacles gives you 7.5lbs (very easy to do) and removing the back seat rests (which I haven’t been successful at) should probably total all that to about 20lbs.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:14 PM
Scuderia WOT
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
.......Since my car will be tracked every week......

Seriously? I have never met anyone who tracked their car every week. Do you live in some dedicated home community where there is a race track actually in with the homes like the one next to the BMW Performance complex in Thermal, California?

https://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...own/432851002/

If you ARE going to the track weekly, you should be buying a dedicated track car, not trying to get 100 lb out of a 992 while at the same time saying consumables are too expensive. Sorry, you come across as a person who has very limited real world track experience but perhaps a lot of dreams. Us Old Timers who have been doing track days since the 90's know the folly of using an expensive street car on a race track on a regular basis. What you are proposing is silly because you will wind up with a lousy track car and a crappy street car trying to do both with one vehicle.. 100lb is not going to make a bit of difference in your lap times. I have seen - more than once - professional factory race drivers like Bill Aubrlen and Hans Stuck put three other large men in four door M-cars (an extra 600 lb or more) and absolutely smoke everyone else on the track driving solo in the same model cars during demo days. That extra weight didn't matter.

You have much to learn, grasshoppa.
Pretty much what I was going to say. I've been down the lighter is better road many times; road bike, Mt. bike, snowmobile, 997 (did PCA time trials) and 911 race car. I think modifying machines is part of the fun for me. But the lesson I learned is heavily modifying and using a street car for extensive track use is very expensive, not only in the modification but in repair/maintenance cost and loss of resale value. Do you realize that tracking your car weekly would require frequent trips to the dealer or you race shop for inspection/service? You would be better off getting a GT3, even a used 991 GT3 would be better.

That said, if your set on it, real lightweight CF racing seats would be the biggest weight loss for the money and much better supporting you in high 'g' load corners.

Last edited by Scuderia WOT; 01-19-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:49 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

.......Since my car will be tracked every week......

Seriously? I have never met anyone who tracked their car every week. Do you live in some dedicated home community where there is a race track actually in with the homes like the one next to the BMW Performance complex in Thermal, California?

https://www.desertsun.com/story/mone...own/432851002/

If you ARE going to the track weekly, you should be buying a dedicated track car, not trying to get 100 lb out of a 992 while at the same time saying consumables are too expensive. Sorry, you come across as a person who has very limited real world track experience but perhaps a lot of dreams. Us Old Timers who have been doing track days since the 90's know the folly of using an expensive street car on a race track on a regular basis. What you are proposing is silly because you will wind up with a lousy track car and a crappy street car trying to do both with one vehicle.. 100lb is not going to make a bit of difference in your lap times. I have seen - more than once - professional factory race drivers like Bill Aubrlen and Hans Stuck put three other large men in four door M-cars (an extra 600 lb or more) and absolutely smoke everyone else on the track driving solo in the same model cars during demo days. That extra weight didn't matter.

You have much to learn, grasshoppa.
---

Last edited by porsche1234; 01-19-2023 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:07 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
with all due respect, when I race street cars I beat all of the “race cars” (outside of open wheel and gt3 cup cars) on the track. The Miata’s, spec boxters, tuned **** boxes etc are all slower than a stock 911 on the race track. I’ve been tracking my cars for years lol so I’d say I’m probably a better driver than you “grasshopper”. I want a do everything car and I’m always faster without a passenger around my local race track, so yeah weight ****ing matters. We have track days every week di** head. So yeah, I can drive every f***** week. Get your crap together and stop commenting nonsense. Go drive a Tesla that’s 600 lbs heavier since you don’t care about weight. Liberal
I was going to suggest Litespeed magnesium wheels that would give you a 40 lbs unsprung weight improvement, lithium battery for another 40 lbs and seats without motors. After the last comment, a better way to achieve weight reduction would be to get the foot out of your ***.
justcor (01-29-2024)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:11 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

with all due respect, when I race street cars I beat all of the “race cars” (outside of open wheel and gt3 cup cars) on the track. The Miata’s, spec boxters, tuned **** boxes etc are all slower than a stock 911 on the race track. I’ve been tracking my cars for years lol so I’d say I’m probably a better driver than you “grasshopper”. I want a do everything car and I’m always faster without a passenger around my local race track, so yeah weight ****ing matters. We have track days every week di** head. So yeah, I can drive every f***** week. Get your crap together and stop commenting nonsense. Go drive a Tesla that’s 600 lbs heavier since you don’t care about weight. Liberal
If weight ****ing matters so much to you then take the advice you asked for and start with a lighter ****ing car. If you really have tracked cars for years it should be no secret where to save weight on any car. It’s pretty universal.

Last edited by minn19; 01-19-2023 at 08:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
detansinn (01-20-2023), rk-d (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:20 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

See? I already knew you were a turd. Now you just showed everyone and erased all doubt.

zachr (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:27 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

See? I already knew you were a turd. Now you just showed everyone and erased all doubt.
Come on....he's a good guy because he said "with all due respect"....
detansinn (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by minn19
If weight ****ing matters so much to you then take the advice you asked for and start with a lighter ****ing car. If you really have tracked cars for years it should be no secret where to save weight on any car. It’s pretty universal.
All of the cars that are lighter than a 992 are either much slower or more expensive. Use common sense please.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:52 PM
porsche1234
Advanced

Whenever I say something that's true on this forum many of the people get butt hurt and call me names. But they never address the true stuff I say and therefore, makes y'all look like you're turning to defense mechanisms because I said something you didn't like
Old 01-19-2023, 09:40 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 914 Likes on 334 Posts

From PCNA website:

Carrera:
Curb weight 3,354 lb

Carrera S:
Curb weight (Manual) 3,298 lb
Curb weight (PDK ) 3,382 lb

Carrera T:
Curb weight (Manual) 3,254 lb
Curb weight (PDK ) 3,338 lb

Of course some variance depending on options selected, but based on this we can see Porsche claims to have saved around 44 lbs on a T from the S regardless of transmission, and only 16 lbs from a base Carrera if comparing the same transmission. They claim the weight saving comes from the lightweight glass, removal of the rear seats, and less sound insulation. I'm not sure why a C2S weighs 28 lbs more than a C2 but I'm assuming whatever it is adding that weight the T doesn't have it, since we can take from these quoted weights that the PDK adds about 84lbs.

What I'm getting at is you'll probably need to take drastic measures to remove 100lbs. Will it be worth it? In my opinion 100lbs should be enough to make a difference in how the car feels on track but definitely not night and day. My track experience is primarily with my 3850+lbs W204 C63 coupe. It's really too heavy to be on track but lots of fun to rev out that engine properly. I would love to remove some weight from it to improve the experience but to take out 100lbs based on what I've seen other do would require many things like stripping out all the sound deadening, back seat removal, deleting the panoramic roof, removing the power seats for fixed buckets, etc. Totally changing the car. Might be worth it but instead I decided to leave it alone and go for the Carrera T, the power to weight is similar but I think driving a 3250lbs car vs a 3850lbs car will be a totally different experience on track.

Last edited by adm63; 01-19-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Weight savings ideas for 992?