Weight savings ideas for 992?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan006
you forgot about the pilot's liposuction. :-)
Yes, it's also advisable to do a cleanse like you're getting ready for a colonoscopy.
The following users liked this post:
Dan006 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:29 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I believe lightest configuration with PDK is going to be spider wheels (unconfirmed), 4 ways, carbon ceramics, carbon roof, base interior, aerokit
@22992
Do you know for sure if the Aero kit saves weight? If so, how much? I guess removing the spoiler mechanisms saves weight, but how much?

Some good info on the thread. Some silliness too. All taken in stride. 👍
Old 01-20-2023, 10:35 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Driving a 992 with PDK on a track is like using cheat mode against a Miata.

I tracked a race prep Miata for a day and I was exponentially faster in my M2 Competition. If he's conditioned to a PDK 992, there is no way he'll want to go to a Miata.

Personally, I think most weight loss measures are going to be self indulgent. I went on a major weight loss plan in my 993. I removed the stereo, converted it to RWD, put in an RS steering wheel, lightweight flywheel and RS clutch, lighter weight mufflers and lighter weight wheels. I dropped about 200-300 lbs of weight. The two things that made the most meaningful difference were the lightweight flywheel and the wheels. Static weight loss is overrated, IMO, unless you are talking a few hundred pounds. Rotating weight and unsprung weight are the most impactful. Removing weight from the rear with an exhaust is worthwhile as well.
I wasn't suggesting that a Miata is as fast (but pretty darn close on a tight track) but more practical for weekly tracking. Consumables of tires and brakes alone would be over $3,000 per month and a quarter of that for a Miata. Plus, the competition in the Miata class is hard to replicate elsewhere in the amateur world.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
@22992
Do you know for sure if the Aero kit saves weight? If so, how much? I guess removing the spoiler mechanisms saves weight, but how much?

Some good info on the thread. Some silliness too. All taken in stride. 👍
I'm sure that I read about it reducing weigh when I was configurating my car. I've never weighed it or heard of someone weighing it to determine the savings. My guess is that it's a marginal reduction just like everything else, for instance the 4lb savings of the carbon roof.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Well, I have a friend who ordered a T also, our cars even have the same build dates. His build is without Aero but with a little extra leather - not much. Both manual. So we'll take them both over to the town dump and weigh them. LOL. (And that's extra funny because he won't drive anywhere near that town dump! LOL).

Of course, my car is Python and his is Chalk, so we'll have to factor how heavy a loud paint color is.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I wasn't suggesting that a Miata is as fast (but pretty darn close on a tight track) but more practical for weekly tracking. Consumables of tires and brakes alone would be over $3,000 per month and a quarter of that for a Miata. Plus, the competition in the Miata class is hard to replicate elsewhere in the amateur world.
No question. I would not track a 992 weekly. The track insurance alone would kill me. I'd likely want to use track pads and those would be impractical for street driving. Better to own a car that you can self insure like a Miata or even a cheaper BMW - both of which you can optimize for track driving which is more than just weight loss. Totally get it. My point is it's going to be a big transition from a 992 to a Miata, which has SO much less torque. It's almost a completely different skillset at that point.

Naturally a talented driver in a Miata would probably kick my ***, even if I was in a 992.

I will say it's hard to believe OP is tracking a 992 weekly, but people do all kinds of things.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-20-2023 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
detansinn (01-20-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

After searching through another rennlist thread, another weight saving option is NOT getting PDCC. PDCC is said to weigh an extra 40-45 lbs. The aerokit should in theory be lighter too since there are no motor mechanisms to raise and lower the spoiler like in the non-aerokit cars.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche1234
After searching through another rennlist thread, another weight saving option is NOT getting PDCC. PDCC is said to weigh an extra 40-45 lbs. The aerokit should in theory be lighter too since there are no motor mechanisms to raise and lower the spoiler like in the non-aerokit cars.
Motors for the active aero up front are also gone with the AK
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:40 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche1234
I'm not sure that's right. I think it was half that weight.

More to the point - there are performance aspects to PDCC that can offset the weight penalty. PDCC corners much flatter and may allow high corner entry speeds. Depending on skill level, I suspect PDCC is likely a net positive for most people on the track.

I think the bigger question is whether it's actually worth the money and added complexity. If I had a dedicated 911 for track, I'd probably save that money and use it towards consumables and upgrades. PDCC is another thing that can break, particularly if you're hard core on track.

Last edited by rk-d; 01-20-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:46 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

I'm not sure that's right. I think it was half that weight.

More to the point - there are performance aspects to PDCC that can offset the weight penalty. PDCC corners much flatter and may allow high corner entry speeds. Depending on skill level, I suspect PDCC is likely a net positive for most people on the track.

I think the bigger question is whether it's actually worth the money and added complexity. If I had a dedicated 911 for track, I'd probably save that money and use it towards consumables and upgrades. PDCC is another thing that can break, particularly if you're hard core on track.
It said on two different threads the PDCC weighed 40-45 pounds. This makes sense because there are extra mechanical parts and fluids added to the car for PDCC to work.

yes the pdcc increased handling, however you can achieve what pdcc does by getting a track alignment and camber, which is why the GT3’s don’t come with it. Extra weight and essentially does what a track alignment does.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by 22992
I'm sure that I read about it reducing weigh when I was configurating my car. I've never weighed it or heard of someone weighing it to determine the savings. My guess is that it's a marginal reduction just like everything else, for instance the 4lb savings of the carbon roof.
After doing some research, I think the carbon roofs weight savings of 4 lbs is due to the fact that the aluminum standard roof is already pretty lightweight compared to most cars. If you’re comparing carbon roof vs sunroof, the weight savings are probably 20-30 lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by porsche1234:
22992 (01-20-2023), Fullyield (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:53 AM
porsche1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by srf409
There is really no better advice than this. Weight loss when indicated is a WIN on many levels. Tearing out back seats, sub woofers , etc is ridiculous.
I agree that deleting radio and ac is stupid for a street car that’s being tracked, however deleting back seats is not bad at all. The gt3’s come standard with rear seats removed and most two door sports cars only have two seats. If you remove the rear seats in a 911 you still have all the storage space but the downside being you can’t fit short girls or children in the back.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:15 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

No question. I would not track a 992 weekly. The track insurance alone would kill me. I'd likely want to use track pads and those would be impractical for street driving. Better to own a car that you can self insure like a Miata or even a cheaper BMW - both of which you can optimize for track driving which is more than just weight loss. Totally get it. My point is it's going to be a big transition from a 992 to a Miata, which has SO much less torque. It's almost a completely different skillset at that point.

Naturally a talented driver in a Miata would probably kick my ***, even if I was in a 992.

I will say it's hard to believe OP is tracking a 992 weekly, but people do all kinds of things.
I live near Sebring where we have many dedicated Miata racers. They have a great time…..and some of those guys are really, really fast!
Old 01-20-2023, 12:33 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,532 Posts

The OP (porsche1234) is a 'poser who does a little street racing, he showed everyone that and then tried to delete his post but it was copied in quotes, so its still there. He's just one more wannabe in a long list of idiots that will tell you how talented they are.

Anyone who has done a lot of track days knows the folly of taking expensive street cars out on a regular basis. You know the truth, rk-d, as do the other realists here.

I did HPDE Instructing for a very long time - over 20 years - and most people that tell you they are "excellent" track drivers can't even drive a 25-year-old BMW 328i Sedan on the track at 10/10ths and put down five consistent lap times in a car is "only" 220 hp. But if they stay at it long enough, and go do enough events, they will eventually learn from real factory race car drivers who will wring out a Miata and be two seconds faster per lap than you can ever hope to accomplish as an enthusiast. I still learn from the Pros when I go out to events, The BMW Center at Thermal CA is loaded with ex-professional factory race car drivers as instructors, for example. When you think you're good, go there and see that you still have a long ways to go...

The following 8 users liked this post by drcollie:
cwbrown (01-22-2023), detansinn (01-20-2023), IPA1 (01-21-2023), jlegelis (01-20-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023), rk-d (01-20-2023), Scuderia WOT (01-20-2023), Wilder (01-20-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:11 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
The OP (porsche1234) is a 'poser who does a little street racing, he showed everyone that and then tried to delete his post but it was copied in quotes, so its still there. He's just one more wannabe in a long list of idiots that will tell you how talented they are.

Anyone who has done a lot of track days knows the folly of taking expensive street cars out on a regular basis. You know the truth, rk-d, as do the other realists here.

I did HPDE Instructing for a very long time - over 20 years - and most people that tell you they are "excellent" track drivers can't even drive a 25-year-old BMW 328i Sedan on the track at 10/10ths and put down five consistent lap times in a car is "only" 220 hp. But if they stay at it long enough, and go do enough events, they will eventually learn from real factory race car drivers who will wring out a Miata and be two seconds faster per lap than you can ever hope to accomplish as an enthusiast. I still learn from the Pros when I go out to events, The BMW Center at Thermal CA is loaded with ex-professional factory race car drivers as instructors, for example. When you think you're good, go there and see that you still have a long ways to go...
Very true. Track driving is an exercise in humility. I’m well aware that I’m slow as sh*t and that’s ok. At this point, I’m more interested in competing against myself than beating anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
cwbrown (01-22-2023), minn19 (01-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Weight savings ideas for 992?