Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rate my final build! VIN is assigned woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 07:34 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by R-M-C
I thought there was considerable restraint. No paint-to-sample nor a heritage interior. Overall, lovely build.
yeah it was either ceramics or heritage interior but the heritage interior with the white insights I was worried about plus I was going for something a bit more stealth...

I would of gotten PTS but the dealer wouldn't let me... That would be another super long wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaytonNYC:
C2heritage (01-07-2023), R-M-C (01-10-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 07:36 PM
C2heritage
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with the heritage, I’m on the boat and “waiting patiently”

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPVMBLS8
The following 2 users liked this post by C2heritage:
Smirnoff67 (01-08-2023), Ørjan (01-09-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 08:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Gotta love a zero discipline build. Enjoy and drive it!
Looking at your avatar -- did you switch back to a 991 911 targa?
Old 01-08-2023, 06:10 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

I think its an absolutely terrible build. At the end of the day its a 4S for well above average GTS pricing and its Grey/Black. I say this as someone who had your interior ordered on my GTS (but changed to fuzzy at the last minute, see my build) . I love 930 and fuzzy headliner.

For constructive criticism - I built your car as a 4 GTS and it came to 185k. Either get a 4GTS like that or trim some fat or do something to make it a bit different. You're getting killed on the sport package, sport design package and then deviated stitch
Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
I think its an absolutely terrible build. At the end of the day its a 4S for well above average GTS pricing and its Grey/Black. I say this as someone who had your interior ordered on my GTS (but changed to fuzzy at the last minute, see my build) . I love 930 and fuzzy headliner.

For constructive criticism - I built your car as a 4 GTS and it came to 185k. Either get a 4GTS like that or trim some fat or do something to make it a bit different. You're getting killed on the sport package, sport design package and then deviated stitch
This is great feedback. I've thought about that and battled back and forth with myself. My build is less costly than OP's, but still a highly spec'd S with sport pack, sport design, deviated stitch, FAL, RAS, burmester, which probably add to $20k.

Main problem I had was to spec an equivalent GTS it would be about $10k more, but the ADM at the time was $30k which amounts to $40k more so I couldn't justify it, even with the higher retention value in a GTS upon resale.
Life is short and I didn't want to keep waiting and waiting or wait for a 992.2 etc. The other battles for GTS vs. S are all a wash in my mind- center lock, stiffer ride, slightly higher power, louder cabin, S w/ sportier rear lip.

The following users liked this post:
Nein Eleven (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 07:01 PM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
This is great feedback. I've thought about that and battled back and forth with myself. My build is less costly than OP's, but still a highly spec'd S with sport pack, sport design, deviated stitch, FAL, RAS, burmester, which probably add to $20k.

Main problem I had was to spec an equivalent GTS it would be about $10k more, but the ADM at the time was $30k which amounts to $40k more so I couldn't justify it, even with the higher retention value in a GTS upon resale.
Life is short and I didn't want to keep waiting and waiting or wait for a 992.2 etc. The other battles for GTS vs. S are all a wash in my mind- center lock, stiffer ride, slightly higher power, louder cabin, S w/ sportier rear lip.
You make a point quite often that is ignored. Many are valuing an S vs GTS based on MSRP. “If you are going to get those options then you might as well get GTS”. Reality doesn’t follow such wisdom. Even still ADMs are higher on GTS…..
Old 01-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by LaytonNYC
http://www.porschecode.com/PPCQBMU3

Coming from a C4S I knew exactly what I was missing option wise but perhaps went a bit crazy. I guess you could say I took advantage of finally getting my own built 992!

Curious to hear your thoughts..

Been a long time coming!

She is superb….. buy
She is superb….. buy
Old 01-09-2023, 03:29 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Calling something a terrible build because its not a GTS is kinda silly no? Seems like your speculating mostly on the model and not the options/combination

my 2 key factors on no GTS for me..

GTS doesn't drive as smooth as lush as a 4S from previous experience.. (even though I been told you can add special options to make it more enjoyable on bumpy roads)

but more importantly... GTS won't be avail for me for at least another year. I rather be in a 992 next month with the spec I want then wait another year of joy.

FYI. if I was gonna go GTS.. I would just wait to get a turbo then. So probably gonna enjoy my 992 for the next 2 years until I get something more highly collectible to keep forever like a 992.2 turbo or something even more special like a sport classic/GT3 if I get the chance from my dealer to get one.

For now ill enjoy my optioned out 992

Last edited by LaytonNYC; 01-09-2023 at 03:33 PM.
BaxterPup (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Calling something a terrible build because its not a GTS is kinda silly no? Seems like your speculating mostly on the model and not the options/combination  my 2 key factors on no GTS for me.. GTS doesn't drive as smooth as lush as a 4S from previous experience.. (even though I been told you can add special options to make it more enjoyable on bumpy roads) but more importantly... GTS won't be avail for me for at least another year. I rather be in a 992 next month with the spec I want then wait another year of joy. FYI. if I was gonna go GTS.. I would just wait to get a turbo then. So probably gonna enjoy my 992 for the next 2 years until I get something more highly collectible to keep forever like a 992.2 turbo or something even more special like a sport classic/GT3 if I get the chance from my dealer to get one. For now ill enjoy my optioned out 992 
​​​​​​​God Bless you if you can get a Sport Classic. Those allocations have got to be long gone so forget about building one to your liking, and if you do find one for sale at a Dealership, it's gonna be stupid expensive. My guess​​​​​​​ is that they'll be at least the cost of two new 911's-minimum. But who knows right? Hope it all works out good for you one way or another.​​​​​​​
Old 01-09-2023, 04:23 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I prefer PDK.. Just my preference I suppose living in New York with all traffic etc.
PDK is a wonderful piece of technology that I never would have considered without driving one first, and the transmission most aligned with Porsche's current design and engineering ethos. I'm convinced that half of the manual advocates on this forum choose it because they want the approval of other 911 owners more than they love driving a manual. Gotta love the guys pushing the GTS model over the S because it's faster and then insisting that you get a manual with it. 🤔

And yes, apparently I woke up today and chose violence. Mondays after a long break are like that sometimes.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:33 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
God Bless you if you can get a Sport Classic. Those allocations have got to be long gone so forget about building one to your liking, and if you do find one for sale at a Dealership, it's gonna be stupid expensive. My guess​​​​​​​ is that they'll be at least the cost of two new 911's-minimum. But who knows right? Hope it all works out good for you one way or another.​​​​​​​
yeah chances of getting a sport classic is slim lol probably none. but I've done so much business with my dealer they said they got me on the list for everything. they actually secured me this 4S in little as 3/4 months.
Smirnoff67 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 06:00 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
PDK is a wonderful piece of technology that I never would have considered without driving one first, and the transmission most aligned with Porsche's current design and engineering ethos. I'm convinced that half of the manual advocates on this forum choose it because they want the approval of other 911 owners more than they love driving a manual. Gotta love the guys pushing the GTS model over the S because it's faster and then insisting that you get a manual with it. 🤔

And yes, apparently I woke up today and chose violence. Mondays after a long break are like that sometimes.
hahaha u didn't choose violence, you are speaking truth my man!
The following 3 users liked this post by LaytonNYC:
C2heritage (01-09-2023), Dan006 (01-09-2023), Nein Eleven (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 06:39 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

It's a nice spec. If you will notice and enjoy all of the selections that you made then enjoy the heck out of it! I’ll keep an eye out for you around NYC.

ill weigh in on the high MSRP C4S vs GTS discussion a bit.

my C4S was a $185k MSRP for a '22, which is $190k in '23 pricing. It is tough not to check all of those boxes!

I had my allocation and my configuration set with my PTS color submitted and approved for my build slot when the GTS was announced in June/July '21. My dealer said that I could convert over to one of their first GTS slots if I wanted to. Pricing it out, it would have been a premium of about 4k to move to the GTS. The dollars weren’t the issue. The GTS lumps in with it a bunch of things I didn’t want. I wanted exclusive wheels, not the center locks or other GTS options. I didn’t want all of the black trim on the exterior…preferring silver and painted for my particular configuration. I didn’t like the GTS interiors with my paint color as much. I was making too many compromises on a built I had crafted for a long time to get into a new model that (at the time) nobody knew when cars would actually start to be built. I passed and kept my C4S slot and haven’t questioned it since.

Last edited by brianja; 01-10-2023 at 10:40 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by brianja:
Mmade992 (01-09-2023), Nein Eleven (01-10-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 08:24 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

Calling something a terrible build because its not a GTS is kinda silly no? Seems like your speculating mostly on the model and not the options/combination

my 2 key factors on no GTS for me..

GTS doesn't drive as smooth as lush as a 4S from previous experience.. (even though I been told you can add special options to make it more enjoyable on bumpy roads)

but more importantly... GTS won't be avail for me for at least another year. I rather be in a 992 next month with the spec I want then wait another year of joy.

FYI. if I was gonna go GTS.. I would just wait to get a turbo then. So probably gonna enjoy my 992 for the next 2 years until I get something more highly collectible to keep forever like a 992.2 turbo or something even more special like a sport classic/GT3 if I get the chance from my dealer to get one.

For now ill enjoy my optioned out 992
Its a terrible build because its 15-20k over a regular 4S and its a basic color combo (even with the yellow interior bits its a grey/black) and doesnt have FAL, PDCC, burmester, glass roof or heritage design or PTS...the usual big ticket items (sans PCCBs). As you know Porsche has diminishing returns and sometimes it's easier to go a model up. Its a beautiful car. Lets just say its a strange way to get to 187.

For example I built a similar Base Turbo with deviated stitch and PCCBs for 207...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPA9FE43

Old 01-10-2023, 12:26 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Its a terrible build because its 15-20k over a regular 4S and its a basic color combo (even with the yellow interior bits its a grey/black) and doesnt have FAL, PDCC, burmester, glass roof or heritage design or PTS...the usual big ticket items (sans PCCBs). As you know Porsche has diminishing returns and sometimes it's easier to go a model up. Its a beautiful car. Lets just say its a strange way to get to 187.

For example I built a similar Base Turbo with deviated stitch and PCCBs for 207...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPA9FE43
I agree with this. I too think it's a beautiful build but missing many key things that one may tick in this price point- FAL, burmester, roof, RAS, etc. Since 930 leather pack is tick'd w/ GT steering, 18 way, deviated stitching, would have paired well by adding inside door panel in leather.

With the gear shift in aluminum @ $187k, would be great to have foot pedals in aluminum to match.

Surprised to not see the $160 exclusive fuel cap which I think would have looked great with the color theme. As one who loves puddle lights, I would have looked for the cap too : )

Last edited by Triathlonkid; 01-10-2023 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Rate my final build! VIN is assigned woohoo!