Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rate my final build! VIN is assigned woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 12:33 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Congrats and great color

Originally Posted by LaytonNYC
http://www.porschecode.com/PPCQBMU3

Coming from a C4S I knew exactly what I was missing option wise but perhaps went a bit crazy. I guess you could say I took advantage of finally getting my own built 992!

Curious to hear your thoughts..

Been a long time coming!

Old 01-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
Its a terrible build because its 15-20k over a regular 4S and its a basic color combo (even with the yellow interior bits its a grey/black) and doesnt have FAL, PDCC, burmester, glass roof or heritage design or PTS...the usual big ticket items (sans PCCBs). As you know Porsche has diminishing returns and sometimes it's easier to go a model up. Its a beautiful car. Lets just say its a strange way to get to 187.

For example I built a similar Base Turbo with deviated stitch and PCCBs for 207...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPA9FE43
No, it is not. It IS a terrible build for you. But since you are not the one buying it or enjoying it, it may be the perfect build for the OP. Its is not a perfect build for me - the perfect build for me is the one I bought. That doesn't make it a bad build for the OP. There is a not so subtle difference between offering constructive advice on particular choices in a build and being a zero-value-add judgmental pr!ck.

People here seem to have trouble distinguishing objective and subjective.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
BaxterPup (01-10-2023), R-M-C (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:56 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LaytonNYC
what is that? I never realized what it was lol
This option is for mounting a Roof Rack if needed.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:02 AM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kim9701
This option is for mounting a Roof Rack if needed.
I actually prefer sea sucker! I had the roof rack on my old 992... used the seersucker instead.. creates less noise while driving since its on the back half the 992 instead
Old 01-10-2023, 11:02 AM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
No, it is not. It IS a terrible build for you. But since you are not the one buying it or enjoying it, it may be the perfect build for the OP. Its is not a perfect build for me - the perfect build for me is the one I bought. That doesn't make it a bad build for the OP. There is a not so subtle difference between offering constructive advice on particular choices in a build and being a zero-value-add judgmental pr!ck.

This! Constructive criticism is always welcomed
Old 01-10-2023, 02:54 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

How am i being a zero value added *****? I actually took the time to build him two similar cars (4GTS, Turbo) and share the Porsche codes. It is monstrously overpriced while simultaneously not having anything that is befitting of that sticker (except PCCBs). In fact, I cant fathom how you can get that high without having PDCC, EM, painted aerokit, Burmester etc. Its kinda crazy for a standard color 4S with brakes to be 187. His money would be better spent trimming fat or doing something different for the same $ amount. Instagram is for likes. Forums are for actual discussions.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 03:12 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

How am i being a zero value added *****? I actually took the time to build him two similar cars (4GTS, Turbo) and share the Porsche codes. It is monstrously overpriced while simultaneously not having anything that is befitting of that sticker (except PCCBs). In fact, I cant fathom how you can get that high without having PDCC, EM, painted aerokit, Burmester etc. It's kinda crazy for a standard color 4S with brakes to be 187. His money would be better spent trimming fat or doing something different for the same $ amount. Instagram is for likes. Forums are for actual discussions.
Building similar cars that OP does not have an allocation for is pointless.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zachr
Building similar cars that OP does not have an allocation for is pointless.
And the GTS might be similar, but the Turbo isn't.
Old 01-10-2023, 05:54 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

His money would be better spent trimming fat or doing something different for the same $ amount.
That is your opinion and is value add when presented as such. Not so much when simply stating "It's a terrible build".
Old 01-10-2023, 07:02 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

How am i being a zero value added *****? I actually took the time to build him two similar cars (4GTS, Turbo) and share the Porsche codes. It is monstrously overpriced while simultaneously not having anything that is befitting of that sticker (except PCCBs). In fact, I cant fathom how you can get that high without having PDCC, EM, painted aerokit, Burmester etc. Its kinda crazy for a standard color 4S with brakes to be 187. His money would be better spent trimming fat or doing something different for the same $ amount. Instagram is for likes. Forums are for actual discussions.
so I get what you're saying but the fact of the matter is I cannot obtain and GTS or a turbo in 2023.

it's my second 992 and I know what I was missing personally for me to enjoy it even more. the big ticket items that I got was yellow deviated stitching, yellow ceramics, 930 leather package, premium package, sport 18 way seats, and sport design with side skirts. Anyone who loves a 911 would agree those are options that a lot of people appreciate every time they drive or look at their 911. maybe some don't but thats okay. its not for everyone

all in all what I think a few of us are saying is theres a difference between constructive criticism and telling your fellow forum bro his build is terrible and completely ****ting on it lol.. especially when your opinion seems more price driven then anything. I don't care about price I care about the allocation and enjoyment! all good man.

Last edited by LaytonNYC; 01-10-2023 at 07:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LaytonNYC:
Dan006 (01-11-2023), Mmade992 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 07:43 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brianja
It's a nice spec. If you will notice and enjoy all of the selections that you made then enjoy the heck out of it! I’ll keep an eye out for you around NYC.

ill weigh in on the high MSRP C4S vs GTS discussion a bit.

my C4S was a $185k MSRP for a '22, which is $190k in '23 pricing. It is tough not to check all of those boxes!

I had my allocation and my configuration set with my PTS color submitted and approved for my build slot when the GTS was announced in June/July '21. My dealer said that I could convert over to one of their first GTS slots if I wanted to. Pricing it out, it would have been a premium of about 4k to move to the GTS. The dollars weren’t the issue. The GTS lumps in with it a bunch of things I didn’t want. I wanted exclusive wheels, not the center locks or other GTS options. I didn’t want all of the black trim on the exterior…preferring silver and painted for my particular configuration. I didn’t like the GTS interiors with my paint color as much. I was making too many compromises on a built I had crafted for a long time to get into a new model that (at the time) nobody knew when cars would actually start to be built. I passed and kept my C4S slot and haven’t questioned it since.

great point!
Old 01-10-2023, 08:47 PM
R-M-C
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I think this is a key point. More than that, what is the "use case" for the car. I have a heavily optioned base 992 coming later this year; this is perfect for me as the car is for classic touring; the road trip. Since I have a Cayman GTS and a Macan Turbo, there are other cars for other types of driving (i.e. track and groceries). It's all about your needs and preferences.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:13 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

I think when reading text on a screen things can appear dichotomous and taken beyond context.

If I were the OP asking for feedback I would actually want people to help provide a perspective I may not have thought about myself, and wouldn't feel offended reading what protamine wrote... to me that feedback would have offered more substance than "great build enjoy" from people who didn't spend half the time delving into the build sheet in the first place

We are all here to support each other and of course I'm pretty sure all of us know that building a $180k car is subjective and ultimately we do what we care about. We are all constantly juggling decisions in life daily so while there may be a spread among the opinion about how to spec a $180k carrera, we are also the rare group of folks in the world that want to spend that much on a toy car to begin with. I'm sure there are plenty of people outside of our forum who'd think "oh boy you guys are splitting hairs about two porsches that look identical to us on the street? I wouldn't even spend the money on that thing to begin with lol".

Old 01-22-2023, 12:38 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
why no glass sunroof? curious to ask!
after having 2 911's with both glass sun roof I noticed I never use them and they leak so much noise on highway. instead I got full race tex interior and now the cabin will be more quiet and moody inside!
The following 2 users liked this post by LaytonNYC:
Nein Eleven (01-22-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:39 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

they built it! wow I'm so hyped haha. currently waiting at the shipment bay to get picked up. says ill have it in about 30 days or less..let's see!

The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Rate my final build! VIN is assigned woohoo!