White
Leather - no deviated stitching
Race tex wheel
7 speed
Carrera S wheels
Decal delete
911 logo
Exclusive design tail lights
  • I not very excited about the 992 T. I really want a 991 with the right options but I live in Mexico and there are very few here. I may cancel this order but I'm considering building it, maybe doing Euro delivery, driving it for a few months to a year and selling it or keeping it if I manage to fall in love with it. I'm also trying to get an allocation for a Dakar and if I get one, this would for sure be sold. Therefore, this spec takes into account my wants but also considers building a marketable car.
  • I chose white rather than spend on Chalk because it will cost me $5k to get a liquid wrap and I prefer to do that in my favorite PTS flavor rather than spend on a cost color that I like but I'm not crazy about. White also seems like a sellable color for a Carrera.
  • I want to build a car in keeping with the T philosophy: as basic and driver focused as possible. I did add leather because cars without come across to me like $100k Toyotas.
  • I personally don't want RAS but I know a lot of people want it. Should I order if I'm committed to selling it within the year?
TIA everyone!
Old 12-26-2022, 12:00 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

You can’t import a used 991.2 T to Mexico? Seems a shame to take a coveted 992 T allocation when you don’t even desire the car.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:10 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
You can’t import a used 991.2 T to Mexico? Seems a shame to take a coveted 992 T allocation when you don’t even desire the car.
No, importing is not an option. I found the right car here but the owner is undecided on selling. The other Ts I've found here have sunroofs and PDKs. Not for me.

I don't like having to settle either but such is life. I do hope I grow to like it but I feel the 992 tipped the scales too much on the side of the big, gizmo-heavy grand tourer at the expense of the small analog sports car.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:28 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
No, importing is not an option. I found the right car here but the owner is undecided on selling. The other Ts I've found here have sunroofs and PDKs. Not for me.

I don't like having to settle either but such is life. I do hope I grow to like it but I feel the 992 tipped the scales too much on the side of the big, gizmo-heavy grand tourer at the expense of the small analog sports car.
I couldn’t imagine buying a car I don’t want. Best of luck.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:58 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FORENN
I couldn’t imagine buying a car I don’t want. Best of luck.
I asked for opinions on my build in the context of my plans. I didn't ask for opinions on my plans. And yes, it sucks that 911s have become the type of car that drives you more so than a car you drive. That's why I own a 997. But clearly I have a desire for a newer 911 and it's perfectly logical and sensible for me to buy my second choice while I find my first choice and to give myself a chance at falling in love with the second choice.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

May I ask why you prefer the 991 T over the 992 T?
Old 12-26-2022, 03:34 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts

To me a 992 T makes sense when lightly optioned. I like your build, I'd lose the exclusive design tail lights and the alcantara steering wheel. I can take or leave RAS...Nick Murray tells a funny story where he went on a Porsche track day event and all the participants driving the press cars were praising how great RAS felt after their drive. later to find out the press cars didn't have it....
The following users liked this post:
TD Pcar (12-30-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 04:48 AM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

Well if you really look for advice: I would then keep the T as original as possible. So don’t get rid of the decals. You might as well buy a S if you don’t like them. Take out the rear seats. Add race Tex rooflining and sun visors. I would add the armcrest as well. Lightest roof. For the rest the build seems perfect.

About RAS: I wrote a lot about it why I would not order it. And it keeps the car lighter. But it’s depending on what kind of driver you are. But you are asking for the new buyer. I would just never buy something for the next buyer because you don’t know what kind of driver it is. To me on the T no RAS.
Ethos_of_the_T (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 06:19 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
May I ask why you prefer the 991 T over the 992 T?
It has more to do with the series than the model. The 992 is bigger, heavier, and has more nannies. It's good looking but to me it's the model that turned the sports car into a grand tourer, right down to the interior. Seinfeld's words about the 993 and prior 911s as having "density of thought" always ring true to me. It was about focus, purpose, and less is more. Now it's about which shade of pepita. As for the model, making the new T heavier and deleting the buckets (my SA said rule them out) defeat the philosophy of the T and even details like the door straps, which are silly, added something special to the 991 that the 992 lacks. The 991 T was accused of being a parts bin special. If there's any truth to that, it applies more so to the 992 T.

Originally Posted by remington
To me a 992 T makes sense when lightly optioned. I like your build, I'd lose the exclusive design tail lights and the alcantara steering wheel. I can take or leave RAS...Nick Murray tells a funny story where he went on a Porsche track day event and all the participants driving the press cars were praising how great RAS felt after their drive. later to find out the press cars didn't have it....
Hilarious story. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, tail lights and wheel are personal taste items but unnecessary.

Originally Posted by Macboy
Well if you really look for advice: I would then keep the T as original as possible. So don’t get rid of the decals. You might as well buy a S if you don’t like them. Take out the rear seats. Add race Tex rooflining and sun visors. I would add the armcrest as well. Lightest roof. For the rest the build seems perfect.

About RAS: I wrote a lot about it why I would not order it. And it keeps the car lighter. But it’s depending on what kind of driver you are. But you are asking for the new buyer. I would just never buy something for the next buyer because you don’t know what kind of driver it is. To me on the T no RAS.
Thank you. The only reason for deleting the decals is because I'm thinking of putting a liquid wrap (peelable paint) in Brewster Green. Rear seats already deleted. I didn't add more race tex because they add cost I won't get back if I sell. The carbon roof is expensive at $5k for a 2lb savings that I also won't get back. The roof and race tex bits were debated items.

This is the first time that I'm considering the marketability of a car I'm building and it's not easy. I have to think about what I want in case I keep it and also what makes sense for resale. Beyond not being as excited as I should be about building a new 911, this makes it worse, which is why cancelling my order is sadly an option.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:17 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

I don’t like the feel of Racetech/Alcantara, but that’s personal.
Also not much of a decal guy, so I would delete them as well. But if you’re doing that, I would also then just delete the rear model designation rather than change to 911. Most people will know it’s a 911.

I had a 991.2 Targa 4S and a 991.2 C4 cab before this C4S cab (and I only ordered the S to get MT). I’ll be surprised if you don’t like the 992. To me, it drives smaller than it feels if that makes any sense. And I loved the C4 cab - I just couldn’t turn down the offer my dealer made for the trade.
Macboy (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Notes below:

White
Leather - no deviated stitching
Race tex wheel
7 speed
Carrera S wheels
Decal delete
911 logo
Exclusive design tail lights
  • I not very excited about the 992 T. I really want a 991 with the right options but I live in Mexico and there are very few here. I may cancel this order but I'm considering building it, maybe doing Euro delivery, driving it for a few months to a year and selling it or keeping it if I manage to fall in love with it. I'm also trying to get an allocation for a Dakar and if I get one, this would for sure be sold. Therefore, this spec takes into account my wants but also considers building a marketable car.
  • I chose white rather than spend on Chalk because it will cost me $5k to get a liquid wrap and I prefer to do that in my favorite PTS flavor rather than spend on a cost color that I like but I'm not crazy about. White also seems like a sellable color for a Carrera.
  • I want to build a car in keeping with the T philosophy: as basic and driver focused as possible. I did add leather because cars without come across to me like $100k Toyotas.
  • I personally don't want RAS but I know a lot of people want it. Should I order if I'm committed to selling it within the year?
TIA everyone!
I would not de-badge. I doubt you'll "lose" money on a de-badge, but the T is a unique model and nearly impossible to differentiate otherwise. Better to keep the badge on there if you're thinking resale - might make it quicker to move.

Carrera S wheels - I'm not a fan, but if you like the design then that's all that matters. Wheels are not the place to cheap out - they make the car. If you love the Carrera S wheels, then get them.

White vs Chalk - both sell fine.

Exclusive tail-lights - whatever floats your boat.

Leather - resale is likely better with a leather interior. It takes a particular kind of person to go full strip on a 911 build.

I despise Race-tex steering wheels and would pass on cars that have them. At best, if I found a car with a Race-Tex wheel that I otherwise loved, I'd budget to have the wheel replaced. I'd get rid of that option if you're thinking resale. I doubt anyone would buy your car because of Race-tex, but there are definitely some who'd pass because of it.

I do agree with your general sentiments on 991 vs 992. The lack of buckets and silly little things like the strap door handle is a bummer.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:48 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

RAS is not going to effect resale. Before you buy it, you might want to research this forum for lithium battery issues then make your own decision.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:03 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
RAS is not going to effect resale. Before you buy it, you might want to research this forum for lithium battery issues then make your own decision.
Only reason I might disagree with you on this is because the T has such a short option list compared to base or S... this rear steer is unique to it as an option available compared to a base car, and I think most T owners will option it. Its kind of like how people get a GT3RS and option the comfort seats... people will still buy it but there are a lot of guys/girls who look at it and say oh why doesnt it have the bucket seats?? I think future T buyers will assume that most people optioned the RAS and might be "disappointed" if its not there.... I could be wrong, but since its not available on the base, and is on the T, its just another box that can be checked to make this a very special car. PLUS on the track and in the canyons I really enjoy the added confidence it gives you and amazing feel
rasetsu (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

I asked for opinions on my build in the context of my plans. I didn't ask for opinions on my plans. .
delete

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 12-26-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:29 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
Only reason I might disagree with you on this is because the T has such a short option list compared to base or S... this rear steer is unique to it as an option available compared to a base car, and I think most T owners will option it. Its kind of like how people get a GT3RS and option the comfort seats... people will still buy it but there are a lot of guys/girls who look at it and say oh why doesnt it have the bucket seats?? I think future T buyers will assume that most people optioned the RAS and might be "disappointed" if its not there.... I could be wrong, but since its not available on the base, and is on the T, its just another box that can be checked to make this a very special car. PLUS on the track and in the canyons I really enjoy the added confidence it gives you and amazing feel
Well, the market research for used Porsches disagrees with you. The point is not directed at RAS in particular but to most all options other than possibly leather, MT or maybe SC on a PDK. Most other options are just irrelevant to resale. Like PSE, RAS will not make or break a resale in the used market. Why? The supply in the used market is just not sufficient to allow anyone to buy or reject a used car based on a detailed desired option list. Here, the OP cannot even find one acceptable 991.2T for sale in the entire country! You will never find that perfect desired option list on any used car. You are not being practical or realistic with your argument. There is no “configurator” for used cars. When you combine that fact with all the lithium battery problems documented here, RAS would be no bueno for me if buying new. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze. If you are looking for a used 992T or 991.2T with MT you will have very limited choices so you have to seriously consider any vehicle you find regardless color and regardless of RAS. So, why pay for it when it is problematic to begin with.

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-26-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Wilder (12-26-2022)