Sponsored by:

Opinions on T build please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:41 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Well, the market research for used Porsches disagrees with you. The point is not directed at RAS in particular but to most all options other than possibly leather, MT or maybe SC on a PDK. Most other options are just irrelevant to resale. Like PSE, RAS will not make or break a resale in the used market. Why? The supply in the used market is just not sufficient to allow anyone to buy or reject a used car based on a detailed desired option list. Here, the OP cannot even find one acceptable 991.2T for sale in the entire country! You will never find that perfect desired option list on any used car. You are not being practical or realistic with your argument. There is no “configurator” for used cars. When you combine that fact with all the lithium battery problems documented here, RAS would be no bueno for me if buying new. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze. If you are looking for a used 992T or 991.2T with MT you will have very limited choices so you have to seriously consider any vehicle you find regardless color and regardless of RAS. So, why pay for it when it is problematic to begin with.
Since the OP started this conversation off with "I may not keep the car" I guess I was just trying to give him an answer that helps him understand what the second buyer would want/be excited to see as an option and MIGHT make a sale happen faster + at a higher price... We certainly live in a unique time with no inventory and plenty of people who will buy whatever they can get their hands on... OP, if you want to save the money and dont want the option yourself, and feel that you can flip the car without it, then no reason to option... but having said that, I think this is an option that will only increase your enjoyment and increase the desirability of the car on resale (which may not matter if inventory is still zero) but if things change and cars start becoming more accessible when you go to sell, I think this option will only help you. This is just my personal opinion as a buyer that would walk away from a car without PSE, and likely wouldnt want to spend the extra money for a T without the unique T options (I would not buy a used T with rear seats, with PDK, without RAS)... Again, this is just me personally providing some insight... since this is a brand new car to the market on the 992 platform, I think it is hard to know what the next buyer will and will not walk away from.
The following 3 users liked this post by toph4242:
rasetsu (12-26-2022), S S (12-26-2022), Wilder (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 10:50 AM
derpington
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, the market research for used Porsches disagrees with you. The point is not directed at RAS in particular but to most all options other than possibly leather, MT or maybe SC on a PDK. Most other options are just irrelevant to resale. Like PSE, RAS will not make or break a resale in the used market. Why? The supply in the used market is just not sufficient to allow anyone to buy or reject a used car based on a detailed desired option list. Here, the OP cannot even find one acceptable 991.2T for sale in the entire country! You will never find that perfect desired option list on any used car. You are not being practical or realistic with your argument. There is no “configurator” for used cars. When you combine that fact with all the lithium battery problems documented here, RAS would be no bueno for me if buying new. Juice ain’t worth the squeeze. If you are looking for a used 992T or 991.2T with MT you will have very limited choices so you have to seriously consider any vehicle you find regardless color and regardless of RAS. So, why pay for it when it is problematic to begin with.
Ts have lithium batteries regardless of whether they have RAS or not.
The following 4 users liked this post by derpington:
balucipher (12-26-2022), S S (12-26-2022), Scott P (12-27-2022), toph4242 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 11:48 AM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

RAS helps fix some of the heaviness in the feeling of the 992 vs the 991. I like picking all the performance options on a performance oriented trim when possible.

I'd add the extended range fuel tank too if you track, it's nice not having to refuel as often throughout a track day.
The following 2 users liked this post by balucipher:
S S (12-26-2022), Wilder (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 12:31 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I don’t like the feel of Racetech/Alcantara, but that’s personal.
Also not much of a decal guy, so I would delete them as well. But if you’re doing that, I would also then just delete the rear model designation rather than change to 911. Most people will know it’s a 911.

I had a 991.2 Targa 4S and a 991.2 C4 cab before this C4S cab (and I only ordered the S to get MT). I’ll be surprised if you don’t like the 992. To me, it drives smaller than it feels if that makes any sense. And I loved the C4 cab - I just couldn’t turn down the offer my dealer made for the trade.
I haven't lived with a race tex steering wheel long enough to take a position on it. As for decals and badge, I can go either way. I chose to add the 911 badge because otherwise it looks too naked but prefer minimal designation. Thank you for your thoughts on the 992. I hope you're right.

Originally Posted by rk-d
I would not de-badge. I doubt you'll "lose" money on a de-badge, but the T is a unique model and nearly impossible to differentiate otherwise. Better to keep the badge on there if you're thinking resale - might make it quicker to move.

Carrera S wheels - I'm not a fan, but if you like the design then that's all that matters. Wheels are not the place to cheap out - they make the car. If you love the Carrera S wheels, then get them.

White vs Chalk - both sell fine.

Exclusive tail-lights - whatever floats your boat.

Leather - resale is likely better with a leather interior. It takes a particular kind of person to go full strip on a 911 build.

I despise Race-tex steering wheels and would pass on cars that have them. At best, if I found a car with a Race-Tex wheel that I otherwise loved, I'd budget to have the wheel replaced. I'd get rid of that option if you're thinking resale. I doubt anyone would buy your car because of Race-tex, but there are definitely some who'd pass because of it.

I do agree with your general sentiments on 991 vs 992. The lack of buckets and silly little things like the strap door handle is a bummer.
Good point on the badge. It's something simple to change later if I decide to keep it.
I chose Carrera wheels because they're free and I don't like any of them. If I upgrade and sell, I won't get my money back. If I keep it, I'll spend my money on aftermarket.
Thanks for your input on the race tex wheel. Like I said above, very little seat time with one and just went on esthetics. I didn't know there were such strong feelings against it.

Regarding RAS:

I've decided to add it the basis of it being an option that is a) unique to the T and b) could help make the car feel like less of a pig based on comments here and other threads I've now read. Previously my position was to keep the 911 dynamics as pure as possible but when you really think about it, does that make sense when the car is now a mid engine and so large? I was sold when I read people who have aircooled cars and who drove 992s with and without RAS and mentioned that RAS made it feel more like their smaller aircooled cars.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 12:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Very good point. That said, I've just been offered a car that has everything I want but the seats and rather than jumping on it, it gave me pause. But perhaps I'm a bit more difficult with these things. At this stage in my life, because of my age and because of where ICE cars may be headed, every car I buy, I buy as if it's a dead man's car. But you do have a very, very good point about the current scarcity and not many people having the luxury to chose.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:12 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,301 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
The carbon roof is expensive at $5k for a 2lb savings that I also won't get back. The roof and race tex bits were debated items.
From what I have heard most 911 people like the sunroof more. Dealers seem to spec that option. But it goes against the T ethos. I ordered the sunroof myself because of the more interior light and because of the black look outside on the roof. Don’t care much about the ethos. We all create our own ethos. But it’s a bit heavier yes. But for resale a sunroof usually will do much better than a carbon roof.
Scott P (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 06:39 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 101 Posts

If you want a good resale, just keep it simple with classic T colors, price not too high and technically up to date with options which are in forum highly recommended.

Regarding the RAS - for me the "killer arguments" are that you ultimately have to steer less in tight corners - where you usually have to reach over the steering wheel without rear-axle steering, and a significantly smaller turning circle is a blessing in Europe.

Last edited by Zetta; 12-26-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:13 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I really like the "idea" behind the "T" but I absolutely hate and could never accept any Racetech/Alcantara in the car. In the (unlikely) event that it were possible to replace ALL of the Racetech/Alcantara with leather . . . here would be my $120,730 configuration: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYEUPN1
Old 12-27-2022, 02:21 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macboy
From what I have heard most 911 people like the sunroof more. Dealers seem to spec that option. But it goes against the T ethos. I ordered the sunroof myself because of the more interior light and because of the black look outside on the roof. Don’t care much about the ethos. We all create our own ethos. But it’s a bit heavier yes. But for resale a sunroof usually will do much better than a carbon roof.
I know. I like the black roof too but a T is a GTesque car to me and I couldn't bring myself to order it. I'll have to take the hit on resale if there is one. But I do respect your choice. Buy what makes you happy.

Originally Posted by Zetta
If you want a good resale, just keep it simple with classic T colors, price not too high and technically up to date with options which are in forum highly recommended.

Regarding the RAS - for me the "killer arguments" are that you ultimately have to steer less in tight corners - where you usually have to reach over the steering wheel without rear-axle steering, and a significantly smaller turning circle is a blessing in Europe.
Thank you for that. Good additional point on RAS. At this point I'm sold.

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I really like the "idea" behind the "T" but I absolutely hate and could never accept any Racetech/Alcantara in the car. In the (unlikely) event that it were possible to replace ALL of the Racetech/Alcantara with leather . . . here would be my $120,730 configuration: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYEUPN1
That's a great looking stripper. 👌
Old 12-27-2022, 02:52 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,880 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Nothing really controversial about your build....
  • Leather is always nice.
  • RAS is not a likely deal breaker for future buyers. It adds complexity to a model that is all about simplicity, go ahead and skip it particularly if you don't want it. I have RAS on one of my cars, not on the others. It wouldn't even make my top ten list of 'must have' or 'really want' options.
  • I personally *would* want carbon buckets in any T I purchased, and that would be a deal breaker, but those are NLA due to shortages, along with other options.
  • Black is usually the preferred color for wrapped cars because the door jams and other unwrapped (or un-liquid-wrapped) parts don't stand out as much.
Miles of difference between a T and a Dakar though. If your lucky enough to get a Dakar allocation with a huge ADM, any potential loss in selling the T will be kind of noise.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-27-2022 at 03:01 AM.
Macboy (12-28-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 03:39 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
Regarding RAS:

I've decided to add it the basis of it being an option that is a) unique to the T and b) could help make the car feel like less of a pig based on comments here and other threads I've now read. Previously my position was to keep the 911 dynamics as pure as possible but when you really think about it, does that make sense when the car is now a mid engine and so large? I was sold when I read people who have aircooled cars and who drove 992s with and without RAS and mentioned that RAS made it feel more like their smaller aircooled cars.
I have an air-cooled car and I wouldn't say RAS makes the 992 feel like an air-cooled car. That's massively overstating it, IMO.

What makes an air cooled car feel the way it does is its proportions, design, steering and rear engine bias. The 992, if anything, handles better than an air-cooled car, though the steering is worse (albeit very good for a modern car).

I think RAS cars do corner better, but this is really not a big deal either way. It's a good option - I'd pick it, but don't expect miracles. The car will feel like a 992 either way.

992 doesn't feel like a pig - I'm not sure if you've had some real seat time in one. It's a very good driving car and doesn't particularly drive "bigger" than the 991, though it definitely feels larger on the inside. The interior is wider and more spacious - you feel more wrapped up than in a 991.

I do think you seem down on the car, which is your prerogative, but you've already got one foot out the door - I'm still not entirely sure why you're bothering buying an expensive car that you're not excited about.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
Macboy (12-28-2022), minn19 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 06:55 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by balucipher
RAS helps fix some of the heaviness in the feeling of the 992 vs the 991. I like picking all the performance options on a performance oriented trim when possible.

I'd add the extended range fuel tank too if you track, it's nice not having to refuel as often throughout a track day.
Extended fuel tank for $200+ is a no brainer. Best value of all options on the configurator.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
balucipher (12-27-2022), Macboy (12-28-2022), Scott P (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:06 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

I have an air-cooled car and I wouldn't say RAS makes the 992 feel like an air-cooled car. That's massively overstating it, IMO.

What makes an air cooled car feel the way it does is its proportions, design, steering and rear engine bias. The 992, if anything, handles better than an air-cooled car, though the steering is worse (albeit very good for a modern car).

I think RAS cars do corner better, but this is really not a big deal either way. It's a good option - I'd pick it, but don't expect miracles. The car will feel like a 992 either way.

992 doesn't feel like a pig - I'm not sure if you've had some real seat time in one. It's a very good driving car and doesn't particularly drive "bigger" than the 991, though it definitely feels larger on the inside. The interior is wider and more spacious - you feel more wrapped up than in a 991.

I do think you seem down on the car, which is your prerogative, but you've already got one foot out the door - I'm still not entirely sure why you're bothering buying an expensive car that you're not excited about.
Agree with rk-d. I think you are over-estimating the difference in driving experience between 992T with MT and a similarly spec’d 992S with MT. Same body, chassis, suspension and brakes. Different turbos and tune. The T is 44 lbs. lighter (with no rear seats) but with 64 less HP. The difference for the two similarly spec’s cars (with my desired options) was only $6k even with full leather interior upgrade that is not available in the T. They both drive great and I think you will find the driving experience quite similar. Neither will feel like a pig. My 992 drives substantially better than my 991.1S ever did and both about same size and weight. Neither drove like my 997.2S or my 997.1S. If you are buying the T because you believe it drives differently than the other 992’s, you might consider flying to Atlanta PEC and drive both….hard…..on track, back-to-back. The PEC is next to the airport. Can do it in one, easy day. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-27-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:43 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Nothing really controversial about your build....
  • Leather is always nice.
  • RAS is not a likely deal breaker for future buyers. It adds complexity to a model that is all about simplicity, go ahead and skip it particularly if you don't want it. I have RAS on one of my cars, not on the others. It wouldn't even make my top ten list of 'must have' or 'really want' options.
  • I personally *would* want carbon buckets in any T I purchased, and that would be a deal breaker, but those are NLA due to shortages, along with other options.
  • Black is usually the preferred color for wrapped cars because the door jams and other unwrapped (or un-liquid-wrapped) parts don't stand out as much.
Miles of difference between a T and a Dakar though. If your lucky enough to get a Dakar allocation with a huge ADM, any potential loss in selling the T will be kind of noise.
RAS seems to be such a polarizing topic. Thank you for chiming in on it. I really need to drive cars with and without at speed back to back to understand what I'm dealing with. Beyond opinions shared here, I found a video comparing both on track and it seems to make a big difference driving flat out. But like you, my initial idea was to go with out to keep the original 911 dynamic. Agreed on the seats. I don't know if this is a supply issue but I'm very frustrated about it. To me, the T doesn't make sense without them. I'm also strongly considering going metallic black.

The comment I referenced regarding RAS was more in terms of the chasis feeling shorter. I don't know if that makes sense to you. That applied both at speed and maneuvering the car at low speeds for parking and such.

Thank you also for chiming in on the 992 platform in general. I'm sorry to feel so down about it and part of buying it is me hoping to change my mind with seat time. To answer your question as to why, it's because given the current market, I don't believe I will lose money on it or little if any should I decide to part ways with it sooner than expected.

Extended fuel tank for $200+ is a no brainer. Best value of all options on the configurator.
Yes, added, thank you.

Agree with rk-d. I think you are over-estimating the difference in driving experience between 992T with MT and a similarly spec’d 992S with MT. Same body, chassis, suspension and brakes. Different turbos and tune. The T is 44 lbs. lighter (with no rear seats) but with 64 less HP. The difference for the two similarly spec’s cars (with my desired options) was only $6k even with full leather interior upgrade that is not available in the T. They both drive great and I think you will find the driving experience quite similar. Neither will feel like a pig. My 992 drives substantially better than my 991.1S ever did and both about same size and weight. Neither drove like my 997.2S or my 997.1S. If you are buying the T because you believe it drives differently than the other 992’s, you might consider flying to Atlanta PEC and drive both….hard…..on track, back-to-back. The PEC is next to the airport. Can do it in one, easy day. Best wishes with whatever you decide.
I'm not comparing or cross shopping the T with an S. My feelings and comments are about the platform in general. I wouldn't expect a huge difference from the T to the S. I chose the T because of the unique options and the ethos. But I agree, driving both at PEC would be helpful. Thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited by Wilder; 12-27-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Zetta
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 101 Posts

If you click on extended leather + seat ventilation, you will get full leather interior.