Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk Ceramic Pads - do they really reduce brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 04:50 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Hawk Ceramic Pads - do they really reduce brake dust?

I've seen reports here raving about how the Hawk ceramic pads reduce brake dust. I was all but ready to buy them, when some folks from the local Porsche club told me I would be disappointed. Now, when I see my wheels after about a week of driving, I'm wondering should I have taken the leap? I'd like to hear from those that have them. Do they really reduce brake dust? Any downsides to them, like increased stopping distance, less 'bite,' etc?
Old 12-20-2022, 08:38 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

FWIW Ceramic Pads do not reduce brake dust so much as the brake dust "color" generated by Ceramic Pads is not as visually objectionable as the traditional alternatives. Hence the (accurate) "perception" by most people, that Ceramic Pads are "Low Dust" brake pads.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:08 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Some experiences in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1157...ke-dust-4.html

I'll probably try the Hawk cermamic pads very soon. I have had excellent results w/ ceramic pads on my M3. The M3 stock iron rotors and brakes generate even more dust than my Porsche. I switched to cermaic brake pads with stock iron rotors and, without any hyperbole, the brake dust was reduced to maybe 5% as much as OEM pads. It went from a single drive around the block would cause noticeable brake dust to I could drive for a month and the rims still looked clean. Not brake dust free, but after a month of driving, it may have about the same amount of dust as driving around the block on stock pads. I'm hoping these Hawk pads would provide a similar benefit.
The following users liked this post:
AdamIsAdam (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 01:33 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Low dust "Ceramic" brake pads do help keep your wheels cleaner and looking better. You will get performance loss from them and increased stopping distances, but many are OK with that.

If you do a track day with your car, remove them and put your stock pads back in, the Ceramics do poorly when heat is built into the pads on lapping sessions and degrade rapidly when they get hot.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 09:20 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Only way to appreciably reduce brake dust is to have ordered ceramic brakes, PCB’s. Don’t waste your money on switching pads unless you track the car. Get the wheels ceramic coated, less dust sticks to wheel and oh so easy to clean.
The following 3 users liked this post by ohniner:
OnPole (12-21-2022), Overdraft (01-23-2023), Patriot (12-21-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 07:06 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I have Carbotech pads on my Cayman and Power Stop Z26 pads on my GT350. They both drastically reduce dust. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong. I clean my wheels after every drive so I'm not talking about how dusty they look, I'm telling you they are much less dusty. The Power Stop pads work great and if they made them for the Porsche that's what I'd use because stopping performance is almost as good as stock.. The Carbotech is good but not as good as the Power Stop, and adds stopping distance over stock. It's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend them. And every time I get to a cars and Coffee with clean rims, I'm very happy.

All of my rims are ceramic coated BTW.

OEM pads would go back on for a HPDE Day.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-22-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:08 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
Only way to appreciably reduce brake dust is to have ordered ceramic brakes, PCB’s. Don’t waste your money on switching pads unless you track the car. Get the wheels ceramic coated, less dust sticks to wheel and oh so easy to clean.
That's what I did. Definite improvement over stock and the turbo wheels on our car are a total PIA to clean. Which I knew from past experience.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 AM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

Endless MX72 is what you are looking for. It is the best street pad for spirited driving. They run clean, lasts forever and the operating temperature range is phenomenal. 50c to 700c. The pedal feel and consistency in friction are incredible. They cost more but can last more than twice as long as other pads. IMO the perfect tire type for it would be Michelin PS4S.

Quick Reply: Hawk Ceramic Pads - do they really reduce brake dust?