Sponsored by:

Door wind whistle solved!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 08:03 AM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 356 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vg247
Geeze this is pathetic to learn, I don’t have this issue on my 997 and 996, to think we have to tape our windshields and Porsche doesn’t have a solution by now in the 992. On my second windshield per dealer replacement and I still have the whistle noise at 40-65 or so mile, gave up.
@vg247 , indeed! Like you, my reference point is my 997, which did not have this issue at all, so I was quite surprised by it in the 992.

Yesterday, I tried taping the crevice at the top edge of the driver’s side view mirror, which some have said solves the problem, but that had no effect.

Do you think the issue is from the front windshield? Someone even suggested it could be from the hood?

Do you have PPF on your car?
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 01:54 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
@vg247 , indeed! Like you, my reference point is my 997, which did not have this issue at all, so I was quite surprised by it in the 992.

Yesterday, I tried taping the crevice at the top edge of the driver’s side view mirror, which some have said solves the problem, but that had no effect.

Do you think the issue is from the front windshield? Someone even suggested it could be from the hood?

Do you have PPF on your car?
Hi , I am noticing the whistling noise from the top horizontal edge along the windshield (near where the sunvisor is). When I test drove with the dealer foreman he confirmed the noise as well. This was when the car was from factory with no ppf.

Once they replaced the windshield the noise was still present even with replacement and I gave up. Now I do have ppf on the entire car.

In my case it is not along the hood or anywhere else because the noise is obviously along that very top edge.. I just try to enjoy the car now, had this been a luxury sedan I most likely would not let the issues go unresolved.

Last edited by vg247; 05-15-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:13 AM
PSPorsche
Pro

I took it the dealer yesterday and informed them about the whistling noise above 38 mph.

The trim at the base of the driver’s side window is misaligned on my car. I asked them to fix that, and I wonder if that is contributing to the whistling noise.

Let’s see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:40 AM
melhechi
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by blastoff992
Greetings! The wind whistle is truly solved for me following the above guidance and by making the strip very long. I purchased a 1/8" Buna-N foam strip from McMaster-Carr (linked below), and installed it in the well-cleaned groove and wrapped it below the mirror. I've been driving around like this for about ~700 miles with zero whistle. Pumped!

Foam Strip:
https://www.mcmaster.com/1488N603/

Bro questions are these the Classic Carrera Wheels painted in Black??? If so could you please post detailed pictures? How do they look in gloss black? Do you like it?
Old 05-27-2024, 03:24 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

I took it the dealer yesterday and informed them about the whistling noise above 38 mph.

The trim at the base of the driver’s side window is misaligned on my car. I asked them to fix that, and I wonder if that is contributing to the whistling noise.

Let’s see what they say.
FYI. Service Advisor informed me that the Tech took the car out for a drive and did not hear the whistle.

Figures.

I clearly hear this whistle.

Any way, they are waiting for the window base trim from Germany, and I will bring the car back once that arrives. May be replacing that will solve the problem. Otherwise I might just have to live with it.

(As a side note, the Tech tried to convince my Service Advisor that the trim piece under the window had been misaligned by my PPF installer while tucking the PPF under it. My Service Advisor told me he had handled it with the Tech, but I did inform him that I had pre-delivery photos showing the misalignment, if needed.)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:56 PM
vg247
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

FYI. Service Advisor informed me that the Tech took the car out for a drive and did not hear the whistle.

Figures.

I clearly hear this whistle.

Any way, they are waiting for the window base trim from Germany, and I will bring the car back once that arrives. May be replacing that will solve the problem. Otherwise I might just have to live with it.

(As a side note, the Tech tried to convince my Service Advisor that the trim piece under the window had been misaligned by my PPF installer while tucking the PPF under it. My Service Advisor told me he had handled it with the Tech, but I did inform him that I had pre-delivery photos showing the misalignment, if needed.)
what dealership is this? That tech is quite something ! Ask to do a test drive with the foreman when you come back for the other issue. Sometimes the techs are front line grunts advocating for the dealer so that you’d just walk away with the complaints, so push for it since you are going back anyway.
Old 05-27-2024, 07:15 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by melhechi
Bro questions are these the Classic Carrera Wheels painted in Black??? If so could you please post detailed pictures? How do they look in gloss black? Do you like it?
I looked at this car a few weeks ago...it has Carrera classics in black...

Used 2022 Porsche 911 For Sale at Mears Mazda Volvo | VIN: WP0AA2A97NS206065 (mearsmotors.com)

Last edited by sk911; 05-27-2024 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:51 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Originally Posted by vg247
what dealership is this? That tech is quite something ! Ask to do a test drive with the foreman when you come back for the other issue. Sometimes the techs are front line grunts advocating for the dealer so that you’d just walk away with the complaints, so push for it since you are going back anyway.
I get it. The Service Advisor did say I could go for a test drive with the Service Manager. And I do acknowledge that not everyone hears certain frequencies, so I may be more sensitive to the whistle than the person who tested my car.

The trade off is, do I want that same "grunt" disassembling my car to hunt down a difficult to find wind whistle? This may introduce more problems or rattles than what I started with.

As you suggested, I will look into this after the other issue is (hopefully) resolved.

Quick Reply: Door wind whistle solved!