Dealer melted my C4S bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 11:32 AM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Dealer melted my C4S bumper

Hi everyone.

As the title would suggest, I got a text from the service center of my Porsche dealer saying that during the course of my 992 C4S being worked on, its bumper got melted (see pics).

It was my first time using this specific dealer, and it was in for a cylinder misfire which has (allegedly) been taken care of. They say their exhaust fume extractor must have transferred the heat to the bumper.

It seems the entire rear bumper and the exhaust tips will need replaced as their coating got burned off. I haven’t gotten much of an apology but they have offered to have their body shop handle this work for free.

My question is, what would you do/request in this circumstance? My biggest concerns are that the paint won’t match and that this will show up on my carfax/affect the value of the car in the long run.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Yikes, that is my biggest fear with dealership service. I can only assume the repair work will appear on a Carfax…which isn’t all that bad. The beauty of this forum is transparency when having to document the history of your car. If you list it for sale in a few years on Rennlist everyone will be able to see exactly what the Carfax is indicating. Fixed correctly it wouldn’t stop me from buying nor would I expect a discount from you because of it. The key there is fixed correctly. Be very persistent with them and make sure they replace every damaged part and not try to repair the damaged plastic. Paint match is never perfect but your car is quite new and that location probably hasn’t seen much fade from the elements. I’m guessing. I would ask them to CPO the car for your troubles. Or something of equal value. But they will most likely fix the car for free and not charge you for your next service as compensation. But I doubt you will return to this dealership. Good luck with this.
The following users liked this post:
DButcher (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 01:07 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Life happens, a bumper cover replacement is no big deal. But here's the bonus for you - as they are going to have to buy new parts, have them paint the matte black plastic the body color for you - I see you have already blacked out your reflectors - so have a fully painted bumper on the dealer and you won't have to deal with oxidized black plastic over the years. It will look much better and that can be a little extra they can do for you.

CarFax misses about half of all work, I take their reports with a grain of salt, personally.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
DButcher (10-29-2022), doug_999 (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 02:02 PM
Mig888
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

**** happens. I would be happy they pointed it out to you, accepted responsibility and are repairing it at their expense. Many people would have claimed the damage was there to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mig888:
cota.kitty (10-29-2022), Dgags (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:04 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

It’s a bummer, but should be pretty easily fixed and unlikely to appear on a CarFax. Hopefully, they’ll be quick on the turnaround.

There are worse things that can happen at a dealer. I recently had a car totaled while it was in for service thanks to a dealer employee that was driving a truck and not paying attention. Yes, total nightmare, but the dealer was quick to resolve the situation. I dropped off the title and was handed a check.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
DButcher (10-29-2022), OMTarga4S (12-14-2023)
Old 10-29-2022, 03:07 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

The tips seem way off center?
Old 10-29-2022, 03:10 PM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

Like most are saying, I would be okay as long as they fix this properly and quickly.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:40 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

I doubt it will show up on carfax, but ask the body shop specifically and see what they have to say about their reporting policies. I'm assuming the dealer's body shop is Porsche-certified – if they aren't, I would personally insist on taking it to a Porsche certified shop of my own choice.

I had the aerokit painted and installed and the paint match (shark blue for me) was excellent. No issues whatsoever. Inspect it closely when you get the car back and make sure you're happy with it, but I wouldn't expect any issues.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:40 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
I doubt it will show up on carfax, but ask the body shop specifically and see what they have to say about their reporting policies. I'm assuming the dealer's body shop is Porsche-certified – if they aren't, I would personally insist on taking it to a Porsche certified shop of my own choice.

I had the aerokit painted and installed and the paint match (shark blue for me) was excellent. No issues whatsoever. Inspect it closely when you get the car back and make sure you're happy with it, but I wouldn't expect any issues.
White-Allen Porsche is a very tiny dealer in the Dayton, OH area. While White-Allen is a large VW family group dealer, they don’t have a Porsche Certified Collision center in Dayton. Closest one is in Columbus, OH at Rife’s Autobody.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Happy to check in on it if it ends up in Columbus. 👍
DButcher (10-30-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 11:04 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes bumper is easy to fix but would it match the rest of the panels probably not and that's where I would be stressing at? Yes I agree things happens but these type of over sights is unacceptable and that's why one goes to dealer to begin with, less stress not more.
DButcher (10-29-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 11:41 PM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
White-Allen Porsche is a very tiny dealer in the Dayton, OH area. While White-Allen is a large VW family group dealer, they don’t have a Porsche Certified Collision center in Dayton. Closest one is in Columbus, OH at Rife’s Autobody.
This is actually at Porsche of the Village in Mariemont (Cincinnati), not White Allen.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:44 PM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
The tips seem way off center?
I’ve had quite a few people mention this but I think it’s normal. There’s two exhaust exits behind the tips.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:45 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by DButcher
This is actually at Porsche of the Village in Mariemont (Cincinnati), not White Allen.
I forget what color your 911 is, but being newer and since they are replacing the full bumper, you likely will not notice any color deviation once replaced with a new freshly painted bumper.

Also - I do not think it will show up in CARFAX as a collision repair (you should ask them).

Just a side note, having been in the Cincy area with porsches over the past few decades, Kings is a better service center IMO, larger, more techs, and the service manager is a die hard porsche guy that knows his stuff. Might, in the future take it there.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:28 PM
tonyalexander
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I forget what color your 911 is, but being newer and since they are replacing the full bumper, you likely will not notice any color deviation once replaced with a new freshly painted bumper.

Also - I do not think it will show up in CARFAX as a collision repair (you should ask them).

Just a side note, having been in the Cincy area with porsches over the past few decades, Kings is a better service center IMO, larger, more techs, and the service manager is a die hard porsche guy that knows his stuff. Might, in the future take it there.
+1 for Vince and his team at Kings.

Quick Reply: Dealer melted my C4S bumper