Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to make the steering feel tighter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 01:13 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by kaylie
BMW has a button u can push to firm up steering.
Too bad we're talking about a Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
PBoxS986 (10-26-2022), Risley (06-21-2024), westcoastj (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:26 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
+1. I actually commented on this to my husband the other day, how relatively small wheel movements almost feel overrepresented at highway speeds. Two factors I suspect were at play: 1) I recently switched from the factory Goodyears to Michelin PS4S and 2) at the time I hadn't lowered my tire pressures back to the comfort pressure level, since the dealer filled them up to the door sill pressures.
Agree, but I think RAS also makes a huge difference

Originally Posted by kaylie
BMW has a button u can push to firm up steering.
Yeah, but I’ve owned 3 BMWs (Z4, 335, & 435) all with sport suspensions/packages, and the steering feel was just horrible in or out of Sport mode. Most people would have learned without having to buy 3 cars!
Old 10-26-2022, 06:16 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipFontaine22
Thank you. I meant just a heavier go-cart feel, more connected. Less steering wheel play.
Which power steering do you have? Plus or normal?
The following users liked this post:
Purekoryo (03-31-2024)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:50 PM
SkipFontaine22
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
Which power steering do you have? Plus or normal?
Normal.

It seems my tires are overfilled maybe I will release some air.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:57 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipFontaine22
Normal.

It seems my tires are overfilled maybe I will release some air.
What pressures are you running? There are three pressures settings you can choose from. I’d recommend trying the lowest “Comfort” setting first. Just make sure to set them in the morning, when the tires are completely cold.

Last edited by michaelp; 10-26-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:01 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Have the alignment checked.
To little, or even a positive Toe adjustment will make the steering feel twitchy. Useful for autocross but not so much for real world driving.
Caster angle will change the "On-Center" feel of the steering, which many owners will describe as being to heavy or to light. Increasing the Caster Angle will increase the "On-Center" feel and to make the steering heavier. To much Caster Angle and the outboard edges of the front tires will begin to develop a "cupping" wear pattern.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:18 PM
NYG1121
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts

The real answer is go drive a BMW and then get back into your porsche. Problem solved
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 07:54 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Have the alignment checked.
To little, or even a positive Toe adjustment will make the steering feel twitchy. Useful for autocross but not so much for real world driving.
Caster angle will change the "On-Center" feel of the steering, which many owners will describe as being to heavy or to light. Increasing the Caster Angle will increase the "On-Center" feel and to make the steering heavier. To much Caster Angle and the outboard edges of the front tires will begin to develop a "cupping" wear pattern.
please tell me how to adjust caster on the 992
Old 10-26-2022, 08:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
please tell me how to adjust caster on the 992
Front Suspension, Caster and Camber Angles are adjusted where the top of the McPherson Strut is bolted to the body. See the attached picture.
Porsche provides for a significant amount of range for the Camber Angle adjustment and very little for Caster Adjustment when stock. Notice the oblong shape of the holes that can be seen where the three Adjustment Studs/Nuts come through the frame/body of the car.
Now, the adjustment holes can be modified (within reason) in order to provide additional Caster Adjustment Angle Range. However, short of modifications for competition reasons, falling outside of the range specification Porsche specifies and not having sufficient Range within the original holes generally indicates frame damage and/or an Alignment Machine that is out of calibration or an inexperienced Technician operating the Alignment Machine.
For really serious competition there are aftermarket manufacturers that can supply what are typically called "Camber Adjustment Plates" which replace the section of the body that had the original mounting locations. Not something I would do on a street car.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:32 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

I managed to change the steering feel, with different effort between sport and sport+, by programming it using PIWIS. I no longer have the car to pinpoint which module but I left a screen capture and description on the "coding 992" thread. Sorry that one is a bit long.
It seems to make a difference, the steering became more direct and quite different in sport and sport+.

Edit - post on 9/21/21 on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1206...-992-a-25.html

Last edited by John Mclane; 10-27-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:16 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Front Suspension, Caster and Camber Angles are adjusted where the top of the McPherson Strut is bolted to the body. See the attached picture.
Porsche provides for a significant amount of range for the Camber Angle adjustment and very little for Caster Adjustment when stock. Notice the oblong shape of the holes that can be seen where the three Adjustment Studs/Nuts come through the frame/body of the car.
Now, the adjustment holes can be modified (within reason) in order to provide additional Caster Adjustment Angle Range. However, short of modifications for competition reasons, falling outside of the range specification Porsche specifies and not having sufficient Range within the original holes generally indicates frame damage and/or an Alignment Machine that is out of calibration or an inexperienced Technician operating the Alignment Machine.
For really serious competition there are aftermarket manufacturers that can supply what are typically called "Camber Adjustment Plates" which replace the section of the body that had the original mounting locations. Not something I would do on a street car.

Yes those slots only go left and right. Not forward and back. You would have to remove the strut and wallow out the mounting holes to "adjust" the caster. For practical purposes there is no caster adjustment on a stock 992 strut.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:28 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Maybe try this guy?

https://tarett.com/products/cup-seri...3&gad_source=1

Quick Reply: Is there a way to make the steering feel tighter?