Sponsored by:

Dealer says changing options right before freeze deadline causes delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 10:59 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts
Default Dealer says changing options right before freeze deadline causes delay

I went to my dealer yesterday to change my white tach ring to red and add red seat belts-it was 1 day before freeze date. My dealer cautioned me about making the changes so close to the deadline saying that it will delay the order. Not wanting to disturb the apple cart with changes that were nice but not significant, I decided to pass on the changes. My SA is not a young kid just getting into the business-that was my rationale for listening to him.

What are your thoughts on this?
The following users liked this post:
johny221 (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:02 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

He gave you good guidance…
The following 2 users liked this post by NYCGT3:
johny221 (10-14-2022), TripleL (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:04 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

It could. It might not. Do what you want. A small delay vs. not getting something the way you want and then later wishing you had.
AlterZgo (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:15 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

It's a tossup. My GTS Aerokit car was accepted with a freeze and delivery date, but was told I could make changes and wouldn't lose the Aerokit build slot I had. I submitted changes (add burmester, center locks, deviated stitching) 3+ weeks from freeze, and lo and behold I couldn't get an Aerokit anymore AND my car ended up delayed ~2mo from original estimate.

YMMV, sometimes it doesn't make a difference and sometimes it does. The Porsche production gods do not care about your allocation and will do whatever works for them logistically.

That said, I ended up getting the aerokit installed later anyways and now I have exactly the car I wanted, just for a few extra racks since they increased the cost of the aerokit part bundle and I had to get it painted and installed. I would have made the change again knowing what I know now - the changes I made were significant and I'm glad I have those options. Except maybe matrix LEDs, which look nice but don't make a functional difference.

Last edited by zachr; 10-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
redbaron01 (10-15-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:28 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
It could. It might not. Do what you want. A small delay vs. not getting something the way you want and then later wishing you had.
I am too psyched and preoccupied with the countdown to delivery to want to incur delays and the possibility of a screwup with the change. In my eyes, although I followed your suggestion in an earlier post, the change is not significant enough to give me the dreaded buyer's remorse that a more significant option might.
3rdpedal (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:36 AM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

I made a change about a 2 weeks before freeze and schedule and build dates moved 3 days, delivery stayed the same. When they dropped Bose, I added the Burmester 3 days before freeze and dates did not move. Guess you don't know for sure until the change is made.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:47 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

It may or may not. Don't know in advance unless it is a documented issue such as aero kits. Exclusive Design (Manufacturer) items are more susceptible to a delay. Your SA is typically the best source of real-time information.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:02 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

I own a furniture store dealing in high-end goods (the Porsche of sofas) and when clients change the specs, especially right before it enters production, it really throws a wrench in the works. We do it, but typically it results into a 3 to 4 weeks additional delay. It's not as easy as entering something into a computer, it requires a revision to a Purchase Order, which has to be keyed in at the Manufacturer and a new Acknowledgement generated, which is then sent to me, the dealer for sign off. Once I sign off, then the producer has to go in and pull the production tags and generate new ones. That removes them from the sequencing and sets them back at the start of the line to be made. You basically lose your place in line, but still get to get in the line. Does that make sense? There are a lot of checks and balances to be sure no mistakes are made, because if they are - everyone is unhappy.

rouxeny (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 01:04 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Personally, I think it's a myth

Every order I've done, I've changed things at the very last minute. Even significant changes. Every car I ordered came early - even post-COVID. Made no difference.

Don't settle. If you want something, get it.
Icegrill (08-19-2023)
Old 10-14-2022, 03:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,770 Likes on 5,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I went to my dealer yesterday to change my white tach ring to red and add red seat belts-it was 1 day before freeze date. My dealer cautioned me about making the changes so close to the deadline saying that it will delay the order. Not wanting to disturb the apple cart with changes that were nice but not significant, I decided to pass on the changes. My SA is not a young kid just getting into the business-that was my rationale for listening to him.

While not a big deal, the red tach and belts are something you will see every single goddam time you are in the car.

If you even care about it all -- and it seems like you do b/c you want to make the change -- then I would change it and wait.

Better to wait longer for the car you want than not to wait for the car that you kind of want.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Dan006 (10-14-2022), PHX (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 03:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I am too psyched and preoccupied with the countdown to delivery to want to incur delays and the possibility of a screwup with the change. In my eyes, although I followed your suggestion in an earlier post, the change is not significant enough to give me the dreaded buyer's remorse that a more significant option might.
Smart move. These are crazy times and I would not chance it.

I was at my Dealer earlier today, and they are no small Dealer, and they are out 2 to 3 years for 992s right now. People are placing orders out that far(2025) not even knowing if it will be some sort of hybrid.

Old 10-14-2022, 03:58 PM
scottjays
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

My SA told me the same thing. I rolled the dice made few changes and I've been OK but its a slow ordering process.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:11 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Smart move. These are crazy times and I would not chance it.

I was at my Dealer earlier today, and they are no small Dealer, and they are out 2 to 3 years for 992s right now. People are placing orders out that far(2025) not even knowing if it will be some sort of hybrid.
To be clear, changing your build won't lose your allocation. The worst case would be a couple of months delay, changing your build will not pull you completely out of the line. You're more likely to incur such a delay if your build includes any options that are currently scarce, on a stop sale etc. Not sure if that still applies, but on my build that was delayed and lost aerokit I had quite a few such items: PDCC, PCCBs, Aerokit, and maybe more that I don't remember. I vaguely remember reading that Bose components are currently in short supply.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:33 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts

FWIW I added heated steering wheel to my 992 build 2 days before lock (this week) and it didn't appear to change my dates.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:47 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

If you had the inclination to make the change to a white tach and red belts, then effin do it. If you actually went down to the dealer, not just made an easy email or phone call, you had some energy behind your decision to make those changes.

As ipse said, you'll see those every time you're in the car. Let's think about this for a quick second...this is something you're already ordering up to YOUR specifications and want it personalized to YOUR taste, not a SA's weak "may" assumption of your change. I'm not saying your SA is weak, just that it is a weak forecast not based in anything but his experience. Speaking of, has the SA had that exact change made anywhere in the recent past, say a year?

Anyway, this is YOUR car and if you want a white tach and red belts, then I would take those odds that your car might be "delayed". They always get "delayed" somewhere along the line anyway...just saying.

Enjoy the ride, regardless...just don't stare at that red tach too long and starting crying about it. LOL.

Quick Reply: Dealer says changing options right before freeze deadline causes delay