992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says changing options right before freeze deadline causes delay

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022 | 08:22 PM
Cokerrat
Instructor

My dealer told me the same thing — sometimes late changes have an impact so you’re gambling. The take away however is not to settle for something that isn’t exactly what you want, it’s to figure that out a couple weeks ahead of the lock date. In the Op’s situation, it’s not like red dials and belts suddenly became an option the day before locking.
Old 10-14-2022 | 09:08 PM
sambrown
Advanced

I placed my order on 8/18, my freeze date was 9/29. On 9/27 I changed the interior from standard mojave to truffle. No delay, still showing same delivery date, 12/2.
Old 10-14-2022 | 09:23 PM
Cokerrat
Instructor

Originally Posted by sambrown
I placed my order on 8/18, my freeze date was 9/29. On 9/27 I changed the interior from standard mojave to truffle. No delay, still showing same delivery date, 12/2.
3.5 months from order to delivery - I am in awe. Jealous awe! Mine’s been sitting in Halifax for almost a month now so I’m not seeing a whole lot of urgency on their part. I hope yours stick to that schedule.
Old 10-15-2022 | 03:33 PM
oshuwah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I went to my dealer yesterday to change my white tach ring to red and add red seat belts-it was 1 day before freeze date. My dealer cautioned me about making the changes so close to the deadline saying that it will delay the order. Not wanting to disturb the apple cart with changes that were nice but not significant, I decided to pass on the changes. My SA is not a young kid just getting into the business-that was my rationale for listening to him.

What are your thoughts on this?
Facts. I did it. Ordered the car in November. Made changes in January right before the spec locked and it literally started my 'journey' over with a delivery date pushed out to July. I did not actually get the car until last week (10/10/22).
Old 10-15-2022 | 04:44 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by oshuwah
Facts. I did it. Ordered the car in November. Made changes in January right before the spec locked and it literally started my 'journey' over with a delivery date pushed out to July. I did not actually get the car until last week (10/10/22).

What were your changes if I may ask? Major or something just minor? I am wanting just a simple addition to my spec but do not want to delay anything.
Old 10-15-2022 | 06:01 PM
oshuwah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
What were your changes if I may ask? Major or something just minor? I am wanting just a simple addition to my spec but do not want to delay anything.
I added Carbon Fiber Wheel, Carbon Fiber Illuminated door sill plates, leather door sill, and leather door card. I was on the fence on those items and did not spec them originally because I thought it was an extravagance (and my spec was already really high). Well, it is an extravagance, but… after spec’ing my car I sat in another 992 with a truffle brown interior for the first time. Seeing things in person really gives you context. So, I made the choice to spec “up” everything I touched and felt regularly… Does that make sense? I was going for Lux-daily vibe anyway, but still tried to hold back (at first). Then when I saw the other car I threw caution to the wind and ordered exactly what I wanted. I call it the “no regrets spec” … and I have no regrets!
Old 10-15-2022 | 06:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oshuwah
I added Carbon Fiber Wheel, Carbon Fiber Illuminated door sill plates, leather door sill, and leather door card. I was on the fence on those items and did not spec them originally because I thought it was an extravagance (and my spec was already really high). Well, it is an extravagance, but… after spec’ing my car I sat in another 992 with a truffle brown interior for the first time. Seeing things in person really gives you context. So, I made the choice to spec “up” everything I touched and felt regularly… Does that make sense? I was going for Lux-daily vibe anyway, but still tried to hold back (at first). Then when I saw the other car I threw caution to the wind and ordered exactly what I wanted. I call it the “no regrets spec” … and I have no regrets!
The right call. Who doesn’t love a spec’ed up interior?
Old 10-15-2022 | 06:30 PM
USAJoeH
Track Day

I went to my dealer yesterday to change my white tach ring to red and add red seat belts-it was 1 day before freeze date. My dealer cautioned me about making the changes so close to the deadline saying that it will delay the order. Not wanting to disturb the apple cart with changes that were nice but not significant, I decided to pass on the changes. My SA is not a young kid just getting into the business-that was my rationale for listening to him.

I changed the color and added the aero kit the day before the lock date and it added one week. Glad I made the changes.
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (10-16-2022)
Old 10-16-2022 | 12:32 AM
johny221
Instructor

I was about 13 days from freeze and added side skirts and it added a week to the build. I was told to try to have it done at least 7 days before the freeze or it could change the dates. Even with doing it that far out still added length.
Old 10-16-2022 | 01:42 AM
EZ E
Pro

The only thing normal now with Porsche is everything can and will change. I changed nothing and was kicked back to a 2023 after being V200 for months. Odds are it's not the change a person made but the issues with parts inbound to Porsche. You look like everything is normal and on target and Russia attacks a supplier. DELAY! Build what you want and don't give it a 2nd thought. I lock in 2 days with a 12/23/22 delivery but plan on 2/1/23!! LOL Fact is the closer you get to lock anything will and can happen. I've seen cars lock a week early and days later. I'd bet I'll lock late.

Last edited by EZ E; 10-16-2022 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2022 | 09:40 AM
sambrown
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cokerrat
3.5 months from order to delivery - I am in awe. Jealous awe! Mine’s been sitting in Halifax for almost a month now so I’m not seeing a whole lot of urgency on their part. I hope yours stick to that schedule.
Don’t get jealous yet, it’s all hypothetical until I can actually touch it with my own 2 hands. I’m kind of expecting everything to go awry at some point, just lucky it hasn’t yet.
Old 10-17-2022 | 11:12 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

The Porsche Factory works like a clockwork, when a car enters production all the things are there to complete the buiflld. Parts get delivered a day or two prior. If anything is missing or doesn't show up, it will delay the build and might not enter production.

Porsche gets parts from everywhere, even Ukraine (while they are at war). The wiring harness for Porsche Cayenne and Macan comes from their. They may or may not have the parts you wanted in surplous.

So changes will most likely delay things, especially if it brings good changes.

Quick Reply: Dealer says changing options right before freeze deadline causes delay