Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biggest repair bill you have gotten so far?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 12:04 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Once the whole thing is finalised, I'll write a thread on it. I dont want to hijack a valid question from the OP. Suffice to say that if there's a tune they WILL find out and they will not pay for it. In my case I was upfront the car was tuned in the past but depending on how the whole thing presents, they will dig deeper in order not to pay for the fix. The more expensive, the deeper they'll go. Magnusson act is a joke.
Understand you don't want to side track the thread. Hopefully some day we get the entire story. But I know what you mean - had my AMG black listed because of a tune even though the issue on hand was unrelated. People telling us Porsche will look away...well. Like you said, pay to play.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:08 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Puzzling how a long block alone is $86k for a car that is MSRP $136k before options.
Because OEM Dealer Parts generally have a 110% mark up, that Long Block is probably around $ 39K from Porsche to the Dealer - double it and add 10% and there you are at $ 86K.

Porsche AG makes on average $ 17K on each vehicle, so as you can see the markup is far less on the whole car than buying parts. If you were to build that $ 136K car from the parts book, it would probably cost closer to $ 800K.

If you need something like a new long block, it pays to call around, even out of area. I blew up the engine on my 1996 C4s back in 2002 at VIR during an Instructor Session and even though I am in Virginia, bought the Long Block from Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville FL (the dealership was sold in 2015). They were more sympathetic to my plight and bought a lot of engines from Porsche due to their Race Team needs, and it was about 1/3 less than my local dealers at the time even after I paid the shipping from Florida. Talk to the Parts Manager, not the counter person. Also, you may want to use and Independent to install the engine, they will cost considerably less and it will not void the 2-year warranty on the long block.

Not to pour salt on the wound, but this is why I don't use aftermarket "tunes" on my vehicles, unless that Tuner has a written warranty that covers what is voided by the Porsche warranty.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (10-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:18 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Because OEM Dealer Parts generally have a 110% mark up, that Long Block is probably around $ 39K from Porsche to the Dealer - double it and add 10% and there you are at $ 86K.

Porsche AG makes on average $ 17K on each vehicle, so as you can see the markup is far less on the whole car than buying parts. If you were to build that $ 136K car from the parts book, it would probably cost closer to $ 800K.

If you need something like a new long block, it pays to call around, even out of area. I blew up the engine on my 1996 C4s back in 2002 at VIR during an Instructor Session and even though I am in Virginia, bought the Long Block from Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville FL (the dealership was sold in 2015). They were more sympathetic to my plight and bought a lot of engines from Porsche due to their Race Team needs, and it was about 1/3 less than my local dealers at the time even after I paid the shipping from Florida. Talk to the Parts Manager, not the counter person. Also, you may want to use and Independent to install the engine, they will cost considerably less and it will not void the 2-year warranty on the long block.

Not to pour salt on the wound, but this is why I don't use aftermarket "tunes" on my vehicles, unless that Tuner has a written warranty that covers what is voided by the Porsche warranty.
I tried all that.Your numbers are probably on point. Added issue that the 3L engine is still relatively new. Fixing the engine itself was essentially the price of an used unit. I considered boring it out and keep the car, but that's asking for more issues. Between the current car value vs a year or two down the road, all the questions to answer when selling/trading, any disclosure to avoid liability etc, I traded the car minus the cost to fix (to me). The current car values helped offsetting the pain. Pay to play indeed. I could have fixed it cheaper for sure, but I had no trust in the car or trust that it would work properly as it never did before all this happened. Dealing with PCNA was one of the worse experiences with service providers I had in recent years. I'd rather cancel cable and XM radio on a daily basis than talking to them ever again. Maybe leaving the VW umbrella things will improve, but it will take years.
Tobeit (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I tried all that.Your numbers are probably on point. Added issue that the 3L engine is still relatively new. Fixing the engine itself was essentially the price of an used unit. I considered boring it out and keep the car, but that's asking for more issues. Between the current car value vs a year or two down the road, all the questions to answer when selling/trading, any disclosure to avoid liability etc, I traded the car minus the cost to fix (to me). The current car values helped offsetting the pain. Pay to play indeed. I could have fixed it cheaper for sure, but I had no trust in the car or trust that it would work properly as it never did before all this happened. Dealing with PCNA was one of the worse experiences with service providers I had in recent years. I'd rather cancel cable and XM radio on a daily basis than talking to them ever again. Maybe leaving the VW umbrella things will improve, but it will take years.
Not good to hear. What you mean leaving the VW umbrella. The recent stock offering does not change the ownership I thought...what did I miss?
Old 10-11-2022, 12:31 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Not good to hear. What you mean leaving the VW umbrella. The recent stock offering does not change the ownership I thought...what did I miss?
I'm not going to pretend to fully understand, but it looks that the Piech and Porsche families have blocking minority. I dunno if it will change much on the end of things. https://www.reuters.com/markets/deal...po-2022-09-19/
Old 10-11-2022, 12:37 PM
drcollie
Race Car

I had a recent similar experience actually. I had bought an oil filter off Amazon for my 2020 Ford Ranger Pickup truck, did the oil change myself this past May and of course Amazon says "This fits your vehicle". I used Amazon not to save money, just for convenience. Four months later the oil filter fell off the truck because as it turned out, it was not the correct one after all and the threads were different. - It snugged to the block because of the gasket, but the thread pitch was off so it worked loose over time. My wife was driving the truck and the engine seized almost immediately even though she pulled off the highway as soon as possible.

Ford dealer says "New Long Block $ 13K with installation". They would not do a Short Block because they said on these newer platform engines, once there is oil starvation everything is shot inside, turbos, cam, etc. I had paid $ 31K for the truck new and it was two years old. Would take a month to fix it as well. I walked up to the Sales Dept. and they had exactly one new 2022 Ranger on the lot that I actually like quite a bit. I asked what the trade in was on my 2020 with the blown engine and expected them to say $ 8K or $ 10K, to my surprise they offered $ 17K for my truck against the new Ranger. I said "I'll take that new one, please" and left in it as soon as the paperwork was done. They can fix that truck for about $ 7K and sell it used for $ 28K, so it made sense for both them, and me. I have no down time,,and got a better version of the Ranger than I like so much. Sometimes it pays to punt, I get it.

And the lesson I have also learned is use only OEM oil filters from the manufacturer.

Yes, PorscheNA is useless as well - they are there to service the dealer base, not assist the end user. You are better off going through PCA Ombudsman if you have an issue the Dealer cannot resolve.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-11-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:14 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had a recent similar experience actually. I had bought an oil filter off Amazon for my 2020 Ford Ranger Pickup truck, did the oil change myself this past May and of course Amazon says "This fits your vehicle". I used Amazon not to save money, just for convenience. Four months later the oil filter fell off the truck because as it turned out, it was not the correct one after all and the threads were different. - It snugged to the block because of the gasket, but the thread pitch was off so it worked loose over time. My wife was driving the truck and the engine seized almost immediately even though she pulled off the highway as soon as possible.

Ford dealer says "New Long Block $ 13K with installation". They would not do a Short Block because they said on these newer platform engines, once there is oil starvation everything is shot inside, turbos, cam, etc. I had paid $ 31K for the truck new and it was two years old. Would take a month to fix it as well. I walked up to the Sales Dept. and they had exactly one new 2022 Ranger on the lot that I actually like quite a bit. I asked what the trade in was on my 2020 with the blown engine and expected them to say $ 8K or $ 10K, to my surprise they offered $ 17K for my truck against the new Ranger. I said "I'll take that new one, please" and left in it as soon as the paperwork was done. They can fix that truck for about $ 7K and sell it used for $ 28K, so it made sense for both them, and me. I have no down time,,and got a better version of the Ranger than I like so much. Sometimes it pays to punt, I get it.

And the lesson I have also learned is use only OEM oil filters from the manufacturer.

Yes, PorscheNA is useless as well - they are there to service the dealer base, not assist the end user. You are better off going through PCA Ombudsman if you have an issue the Dealer cannot resolve.
Sorry this happened to you. It blows. In my case, I was bypassing paying for a more expensive car with the tuning. In yours, you were bluntly mislead. I share your perspective. Not only about downtime, the whole thoughts and mood that follows a crappy situation like this. If trading it outside of your plans solves it, so be it. This whole thing happened with me 4 months ago and the car is not yet fixed (I have parts I want to sell out of it).
Old 10-11-2022, 02:19 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

So if anybody asks whether there are examples of a blown engine in a tuned 992, you've got one here. And I also happen to know that John's tune wasn't as aggressive as some of the other ones out there. My tune must've made 120-150 more hp than stock
Ull (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 02:29 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Once the whole thing is finalised, I'll write a thread on it. I dont want to hijack a valid question from the OP. Suffice to say that if there's a tune they WILL find out and they will not pay for it. In my case I was upfront the car was tuned in the past but depending on how the whole thing presents, they will dig deeper in order not to pay for the fix. The more expensive, the deeper they'll go. Magnusson act is a joke.
I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat for this thread, I'm very interested as well. The repair costs you've been given defy belief.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:28 PM
jack_carls0n
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Those are some hefty engine repair bills. Definitely a good insight into something that can impact owners. How about warranty repair work that you all might think that would have costed you a lot if it wasn't under warranty?
Old 10-11-2022, 04:43 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

I found out that a clockspring replacement is $1300.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:51 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Sorry this happened to you. It blows. In my case, I was bypassing paying for a more expensive car with the tuning. In yours, you were bluntly mislead. I share your perspective. Not only about downtime, the whole thoughts and mood that follows a crappy situation like this. If trading it outside of your plans solves it, so be it. This whole thing happened with me 4 months ago and the car is not yet fixed (I have parts I want to sell out of it).
Have you looked around for a 992 engine from a dismantler? These guys appear to have one, front end and side hit with airbag deployment, but the engine should be OK? Only 700 miles on the car.....might be worth a phone call.

https://www.ladismantler.com/2020-po...carrera-911-s/

Last edited by drcollie; 10-11-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:13 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jack_carls0n
Those are some hefty engine repair bills. Definitely a good insight into something that can impact owners. How about warranty repair work that you all might think that would have costed you a lot if it wasn't under warranty?
I don't look or get to see warranty repair cost...its always zeroed out on my bills. Like windshield replacement, PDK shifter replacement and similar.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:44 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have you looked around for a 992 engine from a dismantler? These guys appear to have one, front end and side hit with airbag deployment, but the engine should be OK? Only 700 miles on the car.....might be worth a phone call.

https://www.ladismantler.com/2020-po...carrera-911-s/
That's the one I saw. When compounding the current value of the car minus cost to fix cost vs replace the engine to sell it later, I went with the former as I believe the prices in one year or more will be far lower. BTW, the prices given by the dealer were with a core exchange. They send all the parts to Germany.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Wow!!! Sorry to hear all of this but also so glad you shared your experience. I have thought about tuning my GTS but no way after hearing your story will I now do it. Plus, car is so darn fast any way.

Thanks
SPIKES (10-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Biggest repair bill you have gotten so far?