Sponsored by:

Build Advice - 911 4S - Aventurine Green with Truffle Brown interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:49 AM
Swayze
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrown
You do you, but I'll offer my $0.02 because I'm excited about anyone joining the Aventurine Green club. My delivery date is (tentatively) 12/2, so this excites me!
  • AG + Truffle is the perfect starting canvas, it's the best non-PTS combo on the entire configurator if you ask me. You're off to a good start.
  • Matrix headlights in the US are a waste of money. Because of DOT laws, the individual LED's can't fire independently. There is zero difference between PDLS+ and Matrix in the US other than white pin-striping in the headlight assembly. Highly unlikely they'll be turned "on" when made legal after-the-fact, if ever.
  • Personally, I think AG + Truffle is a bit of a 'heritage' spec and does very well with window trim in silver. Be open minded, watch this video and tell me I'm wrong.
  • Puddle projectors: don't do it. Within 12 months you'll be putting electrical tape over the projectors to hide them. This isn't a teenagers modded civic.
  • PDCC: Only necessary on top-heavy cars, like a Cayenne or Macan. Some say it benefits a Targa, ok, maybe, but this isn't a Targa.
  • Wheels: Similar vibe to the silver window trim, go for colored Porsche center cap crests. For some reason that $190 punches way above it's weight towards making it look "just right"
  • Belts: Dark belts on a dark interior are effectively imperceptible. Like other's said, not worth it and you'll wonder why you spent the money.
  • I personally don't think rear-axle steering and power steering plus are worth it, many people who think they are driving a car with those options actually aren't. They are peer-pressure options. If you're going to track-it, ok, but if you aren't, you won't notice.
Other things I spec'd worth considering:
  • extended range fuel tank ($230)
  • brake calipers in black ($900) objectively, i think the bright red and extremely heathered effect of AG kind of clash
  • Paldao trim: I can't say enough. if AG + Truffle is the best starting place, Paldao is just the perfect jewelry to tie the outfit together.
  • Smoking package: free pen holder for my desk, take my money
between matrix, pdcc and belts, you just saved $6,500. if you agree on RAS and PS+, you're up to $9k. Get the car, take someone special on an incredible road trip and spend that money on a week's worth of luxury hotels along the way and never look back.
Great advice, I agree with all the above. I went with Chalk exterior ultimately on my 992 targa gts, but AG was my other top choice. I went back and forth a ton of times and know I would have been totally happy with either choice. Before locking in my build I checked out a few AG cars in person with different interiors and at different times of the day. My first AG build was with truffle, but after seeing it I also loved the black with Iceland green interior, something else to think about. It’s not club leather so it saves money, but it’s not club leather so that may be a deal breaker.

Only other area I can add insight that hasn’t been mentioned is the remote parking option. I ultimately bought this because it has cross traffic warning and I think the door opening warning that you didn’t get otherwise. But the actual parking is not something I’ll ever use. It essentially uses the sensors to park you between to objects. So it can’t park you between lines, it has to find two cars and use their positions to center you between them. I don’t think they’ll ever come a day where I’m willingly parking my 911 between two cars. I don’t even park my Jeeps between two cars. So just wanted to give you a heads up that the parking feature is going to be a major disappointment. For me, one extra safety feature that might help avoid an accident though was worth the money. I have appreciated the cross traffic alert on all my other cars.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:11 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Ferry Porsche received a new 911 every year. When the factory would contact him every year to spec his new car, he would reportedly tell his secretary that any color was fine so long as it is green. As for interior, he would say any interior is fine so long as it is brown and cloth. Porsche would go to the local upholstery shop and buy a bolt of heavy cloth to hand make him a brown cloth interior. So, you are in very good company choosing green over brown.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Master Deep (09-20-2022), sambrown (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:14 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Ferry Porsche received a new 911 every year. When the factory would contact him every year to spec his new car, he would reportedly tell his secretary that any color was fine so long as it is green. As for interior, he would say any interior is fine so long as it is brown and cloth. Porsche would go to the local upholstery shop and buy a bolt of heavy cloth to hand make him a brown cloth interior. So, you are in very good company choosing green over brown.
Ha ha - good to know !
Old 09-20-2022, 11:14 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Swayze
Great advice, I agree with all the above. I went with Chalk exterior ultimately on my 992 targa gts, but AG was my other top choice. I went back and forth a ton of times and know I would have been totally happy with either choice. Before locking in my build I checked out a few AG cars in person with different interiors and at different times of the day. My first AG build was with truffle, but after seeing it I also loved the black with Iceland green interior, something else to think about. It’s not club leather so it saves money, but it’s not club leather so that may be a deal breaker.

Only other area I can add insight that hasn’t been mentioned is the remote parking option. I ultimately bought this because it has cross traffic warning and I think the door opening warning that you didn’t get otherwise. But the actual parking is not something I’ll ever use. It essentially uses the sensors to park you between to objects. So it can’t park you between lines, it has to find two cars and use their positions to center you between them. I don’t think they’ll ever come a day where I’m willingly parking my 911 between two cars. I don’t even park my Jeeps between two cars. So just wanted to give you a heads up that the parking feature is going to be a major disappointment. For me, one extra safety feature that might help avoid an accident though was worth the money. I have appreciated the cross traffic alert on all my other cars.
Thank you - just confirmed one of my options - I was going back n forth on the Remote Parking -- thanks.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lvelidi
Dang -- really good points -- PDCC was only on my list cuz I went down to the Porsche Drive experience and took a 992 C4S around the track, and the they had this PDCC demo bit, where they jerk you around (literally a metal plate jerks you around with/without PDCC and you see the difference) - but yea I'm nowhere near Monza and wont be taking this beaut to the track anytime soon.

Thanks for your input - very helpful -- off to the config for more tweaks.
Alrighty --- tinkered with the config --

- Took out the PDCC / RA Steering
- Puddle projectors gone !! (sigh my teenage dreams)
- Bouncing around between the Red Brake Calipers vs Black -- I let them be Red for now --
- Paldao Trim - just not feeling it -- maybe if I see it in person it'll change for me --
- You're on the mark with the Porsche Center Cap Crests -- really pop.
- After spending way too much time -- finally realized -- there is no extended fuel tank option on the C4S !!

This is getting pretty close here -- http://www.porsche-code.com/PPPS32A8

Couple of things I'm still mulling over -- maybe you guys can pitch in --
1. ACC --
2. Bose vs Burmester (from everything I read the std. Bose setup seems to suck)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:23 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

- Bouncing around between the Red Brake Calipers vs Black -- I let them be Red for now --
- Paldao Trim - just not feeling it -- maybe if I see it in person it'll change for me --
- After spending way too much time -- finally realized -- there is no extended fuel tank option on the C4S !!

1. ACC --
I went with the Burmester for my on order C2S. My reasoning is:
1. I never will regret getting an option, only regret is not getting an option
2. Burmester is better and more true at higher volumes.
3. In a loud car like a 911, you need higher volume of sound (see #2)

The following users liked this post:
TripleL (09-26-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:31 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I went with the Burmester for my on order C2S. My reasoning is:
1. I never will regret getting an option, only regret is not getting an option
2. Burmester is better and more true at higher volumes.
3. In a loud car like a 911, you need higher volume of sound (see #2)
Just what I needed -- confirmation from someone who's actually gotten it. Thank you !!
Old 09-20-2022, 11:31 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

1. ACC --
That comedy wood look trim you have in the States is an Abhorrence. It isn’t even available in Europe and the Uk thankfully. Why would anybody think anything wood belongs in a modern sports car stuffed with technology? I find that baffling. It isn’t a 50’s woodie station wagon.
Wood trim belongs on kitchen cupboards, not the interiors of modern sports cars.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 AM
sambrown
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

I love that you're thinking it through but still making your own choices, ie; paldao, brake calipers, that's how it should be. If they were all the same, it would be so boring...

I love ACC on my wife's Volvo, that paired with lane keep assist makes long road trips a total breeze. But for a Porsche, my own feeling is that anything which is separating you from the car isn't for me. For 160k, I want to be "in it" as much as possible and not pay more to be separated from the experience. Overly romantic, maybe. But is the point to have a visceral sports car or a long cruiser, that's the answer for you.

I respectfully disagree with @Staffie Guy on the stereo. The dirty little secret with the burmester is that only the front speakers are upgraded, not the rear. So all you're effectively getting is an "upgraded" 2.1 portion of your stereo. I also think because of how much road noise persists through these cars, the added power of the burmester amp just adds noise, not clarity or depth. I was almost tempted to go with the standard radio and not even get the Bose for that reason, but alas Bose became my own little peer pressure option that I fell for.

Completely forgot that the extended range fuel tank isn't available on 4's because of the added equipment, sorry for the wild goose chase!
Old 09-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

I too have an Aventurine Green / truffle Brown car - Turbo S Cab.. The wood is PERFECT complement to the otherwise too technical interior - and it is VERY subtle. Two other options you might consider are the leather covered steering column and leather on the vent at the head of the center tunnel - it does come with leather covered vents, but that is okay. The one option I didn't spec which I wish I had was the passenger's cupholder in leather - it is the one piece of plastic in the knee rail of the dash and it ages at a different rate. I went with the Agave belts - happy I did. Also, exclusive wheels.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:45 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

I love that you're thinking it through but still making your own choices, ie; paldao, brake calipers, that's how it should be. If they were all the same, it would be so boring...

I love ACC on my wife's Volvo, that paired with lane keep assist makes long road trips a total breeze. But for a Porsche, my own feeling is that anything which is separating you from the car isn't for me. For 160k, I want to be "in it" as much as possible and not pay more to be separated from the experience. Overly romantic, maybe. But is the point to have a visceral sports car or a long cruiser, that's the answer for you.

I respectfully disagree with @Staffie Guy on the stereo. The dirty little secret with the burmester is that only the front speakers are upgraded, not the rear. So all you're effectively getting is an "upgraded" 2.1 portion of your stereo. I also think because of how much road noise persists through these cars, the added power of the burmester amp just adds noise, not clarity or depth. I was almost tempted to go with the standard radio and not even get the Bose for that reason, but alas Bose became my own little peer pressure option that I fell for.

Completely forgot that the extended range fuel tank isn't available on 4's because of the added equipment, sorry for the wild goose chase!
--That's exactly what I was thinking -- will it take away from the driving experience. On the flip side -- I know going in - I'm going to keep this car for flipping long and put god awful ton of miles on it, drive it everywhere. If there's a teeny bit that will make that journey more pleasurable / enjoyable heck yea, I don't mind plunking down a tad bit extra now.

With regards to Bose vs Burmester - the auditory experience is so personal to everyone, and some folks do not even want to listen to music, just the sweet sound of the engine - guess comes down to any pangs of regret if you dont get it vs getting it etc.

But appreciate every little bit of input I'm getting here ! you guys are all awesome : )
The following users liked this post:
sambrown (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:46 AM
sambrown
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
Why would anybody think anything wood belongs in a modern sports car stuffed with technology? I find that baffling.
Yes, the sport classic is a real dog, isn't it.

The following 3 users liked this post by sambrown:
balucipher (09-20-2022), Smirnoff67 (09-20-2022), vintage38 (04-05-2023)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:49 AM
Lvelidi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Steven_H
I too have an Aventurine Green / truffle Brown car - Turbo S Cab.. The wood is PERFECT complement to the otherwise too technical interior - and it is VERY subtle. Two other options you might consider are the leather covered steering column and leather on the vent at the head of the center tunnel - it does come with leather covered vents, but that is okay. The one option I didn't spec which I wish I had was the passenger's cupholder in leather - it is the one piece of plastic in the knee rail of the dash and it ages at a different rate. I went with the Agave belts - happy I did. Also, exclusive wheels.
Thanks - that's spoken from experience -- definitely putting that leather bit in.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:55 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, the sport classic is a real dog, isn't it.
Yes it is. Awful coloured orange leather that looks like it was made out of Donald Trump and ridiculous wood trim that looks like my kitchen cupboards. As with all the other models the sport classic can be optioned with a range of interiors but that one is a dog, yes.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:13 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

I went with Gentian Blue with Truffle and Chalk stitching. Was going to do the wood until my wife saw it in person and nixed it. I then did the trim in truffle looks great. You really need to see the wood in person. Not saying it does not look good but it is definitely polarizing. I have the Bose and it is fine, car is pretty noisy. I really thought about upgrading the Bose but in the end is your source going to be good enough to tell. I mostly listen to Apple Music and Fox sports radio on iHeart and the Bose is good for that.

Quick Reply: Build Advice - 911 4S - Aventurine Green with Truffle Brown interior