Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM on 23' 911 "S"....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022 | 12:05 PM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Default PASM on 23' 911 "S"....

I am a bit confused and hoping somebody can help. On the 23' Carrera S configuration page it shows PASM Sport Suspension as a $1020.00 option. This used to be included when you checked the 7 speed manual box. So my question is what suspension is standard? In my case I am looking for the smoothest ride possible (please don't laugh) and need a bit of advise as to which suspension is best for me. Thanks.

Last edited by Motorin Mark; 09-15-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2022 | 12:49 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

I think the pasm was included with a sport exhaust package not the 7 speed manual.
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:06 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
I am a bit confused and hoping somebody can help. On the 23' Carrera S configuration page it shows PASM Sport Suspension as a $1020.00 option. This used to be included when you checked the 7 speed manual box. So my question is what suspension is standard? In my case I am looking for the smoothest ride possible (please don't laugh) and need a bit of advise as to which suspension is best for me. Thanks.
As standard the S gets the same suspension as the base Carrera. Sports suspension is the $1020 option, with the stiffer springs / 10mm lower ride height etc. Gets confusing because people refer to that sports suspension as SPASM even though all 992’s get PASM.

As @Staffie Guy says you can option the sports suspension as a bundle with sports exhaust as well. If you want the smoothest ride possible then don’t option either but do option PDCC, although that will need rear steer as well so $5k. Ouch!
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:13 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

If you go under Performance and choose the "7-speed manual transmission and sport chrono package" for zero dollars, you get sport chrono but not any of the other sport pkg stuff including S-PASM. If you look under Packages and choose "Sport Package i.c.w. Manual Transmission" for $3,390, you get the full monty - sport exahust, S-PASM, and sport chrono (which is included automatically w/ manual trans).

And yes, avoid S-PASM if you want a good ride. IMO the stock SPASM ride quality is noticeably worse than standard PASM. SPASM equipped cars drive like lowered cars... which they are. I just didn't think 10mm would be such a dramatic difference but it is.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 09-15-2022 at 01:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 02:56 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

I disagree. I have a 21 C2S with manual and sport chrono of course. I opted for the Sport Package which got me the PASM Sport Suspension and PSE. I had test driven the PASM Sport and read up that there were several advantages to it, not just the suspension setup, but also:

Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"
Ride height lowered 10 mm compared to standard
Stiffer anti-roll bars (front and rear)
Extended front spoiler lip
Increased maximum rear spoiler height

In fact some reviews I read said that the Normal mode on a SPASM setup is very very similar to the regular PASM cars. I do not find it to be a rough ride at all. When I know I will be on better roads as our roads are not that great around here, I do sometimes engage the Sport mode for the suspension. It will automatically come on in Sport Plus mode, but you can also turn on Sport Plus and deactivate it right away or set an individual mode without the Sport suspension engaged.

As to PDCC, I follow the train of thought that it is unnecessary for a 911 unless you are talking about a top heavy Targa and is much more suited to an SUV. I would shy away from PDCC in favor or Rear Axle Steering.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
balucipher (09-23-2022), M3Inline6 (09-23-2022), Winnetka (01-13-2024)
Old 09-15-2022 | 03:04 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I disagree. I have a 21 C2S with manual and sport chrono of course. I opted for the Sport Package which got me the PASM Sport Suspension and PSE. I had test driven the PASM Sport and read up that there were several advantages to it, not just the suspension setup, but also:

Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes: "Normal" and "Sport"

In fact some reviews I read said that the Normal mode on a SPASM setup is very very similar to the regular PASM cars. I do not find it to be a rough ride at all. When I know I will be on better roads as our roads are not that great around here, I do sometimes engage the Sport mode for the suspension. It will automatically come on in Sport Plus mode, but you can also turn on Sport Plus and deactivate it right away or set an individual mode without the Sport suspension engaged.

As to PDCC, I follow the train of thought that it is unnecessary for a 911 unless you are talking about a top heavy Targa and is much more suited to an SUV. I would shy away from PDCC in favor or Rear Axle Steering.
I was never in favor of PDCC until it was pointed out that it reduces roll-bar stiffness in straight lines and with an advantage to ride. Personally I still wouldn't option it for the same reason as you though.
Old 09-15-2022 | 06:19 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

this gets into another subjective rabbit hole as comfort is highly individual.

that said, i felt that my 997.1 TT would pogo a bit in sport suspension. my 991.1 with PDCC and SPASM was phenominal in sport suspension mode. since then i've been a big fan of PDCC and SPASM and have it ordered on my 992. could have just been the overall platform change.

anyway, last fall i drove a SPASM and a PDCC/SPASM/RAS 992 back to back and found the latter to be more comfortable over the rougher sections of road on our test drive route.
Old 09-15-2022 | 09:13 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

It will depend on your roads. Down here in Florida where I see a pothole twice a year and the roads are smooth, I run SPASM in sport setting daily and the car glides and doesn’t feel rough at all. Pressures 33F/36R. Car runs much better and smoother at these pressures than 29/32.
Old 09-15-2022 | 10:32 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal

I had PDCC w SPASM on my 2013 C4S Coupe and 2016 Carrera GTS Club Coupe when rolling straight down neighborhood roads those two cars rode like butter , because their roll / sway bars were virtually decoupled until steering angle was applied ...on my 992 Carrera S Coupe w SPASM /RAS but w/o PDCC , traversing the same roads I definitely feel the car bumping /diagonally pitching from side to side so the resultant low speed ride , though not harsh in any way , is more lumpy
At speed , things smooth out and I can't tell the difference in ride quality of the 992 from my prev PDCC equipped cars .

Last edited by MKW; 09-15-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2022 | 03:36 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Carrera S comes with regular PASM standard (even with 7sp manual - which I also have) - SPASM requires extra $$$. Ideally you can test drive a car with regular PASM and SPASM to compare. I opted for regular PASM and am happy with my decision.
doug_999 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022 | 02:16 AM
RexG
Cruisin'

I think the way Porsche words their website is very deceiving. While building the new 992 911 GTS, if you select PASM, you actually removing the Sport PASM. The helper springs etc etc. Porsche needs to do a better job with their wording and make it very clear.....Choosing PASM REMOVES the sport suspension components that come standard on the GTS. Happened to me as the dealership, not realizing either, suggested I check that box and of course, I approved and my salesman went ahead and "added it". The car arrived 8 months later and I did not realize what had been done until after I took delivery of it. I am currently waiting for an answer from the dealership and Porsche USA for some sort of resolution. Call me crazy, but if something as expensive as 911 Turbo suspension components are removed, shouldn't there be a price adjustment? I have the 911 GTS Cabriolet. It drives and handles amazingly. I won't track it...and after reading this thread, maybe I dodged a bullet by not getting the sport suspension and I should just be happy with the smoother ride with the PASM.....and frankly, I don't know if there is a solution to this and I doubt Porsche would offer one.
Old 11-15-2022 | 10:52 AM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Originally Posted by RexG
I think the way Porsche words their website is very deceiving. While building the new 992 911 GTS, if you select PASM, you actually removing the Sport PASM. The helper springs etc etc. Porsche needs to do a better job with their wording and make it very clear.....Choosing PASM REMOVES the sport suspension components that come standard on the GTS. Happened to me as the dealership, not realizing either, suggested I check that box and of course, I approved and my salesman went ahead and "added it". The car arrived 8 months later and I did not realize what had been done until after I took delivery of it. I am currently waiting for an answer from the dealership and Porsche USA for some sort of resolution. Call me crazy, but if something as expensive as 911 Turbo suspension components are removed, shouldn't there be a price adjustment? I have the 911 GTS Cabriolet. It drives and handles amazingly. I won't track it...and after reading this thread, maybe I dodged a bullet by not getting the sport suspension and I should just be happy with the smoother ride with the PASM.....and frankly, I don't know if there is a solution to this and I doubt Porsche would offer one.
You are correct, on the "S" you have to add SPASM by checking a box, Opposite on the "GTS", you remove SPASM by checking a box. Kinda confusing to say the least. As again I personally am looking for the smoothest ride. Thus on my new "S" I did not check the box for SPASM and went with the standard PASM. Hope this makes sense.
Old 11-15-2022 | 12:34 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately it sounds like you were given bad advice. The option says: "Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Raised 10 mm)" the information icon says: "Raised ride height of 10 mm in relation to the standard -10 mm suspension. The stiffer GTS anti-roll bars are replaced with standard 911 Carrera S anti-roll bars. Deletion of rear helper springs is required. " $0 option. Pretty clear.
The following 3 users liked this post by dudeoverthere:
CanAutM3 (11-15-2022), johny221 (11-15-2022), minn19 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022 | 02:51 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

…… I have the 911 GTS Cabriolet. It drives and handles amazingly. I won't track it...and after reading this thread, maybe I dodged a bullet by not getting the sport suspension and I should just be happy with the smoother ride with the PASM.....and frankly, I don't know if there is a solution to this and I doubt Porsche would offer one.
IMHO, you dodged a huge bullet. A sport suspension on a cab does not make a lot of sense - and in the targa, a car a heavier than yours, they remove the S-PASM in the GTS.

Last edited by doug_999; 11-16-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2022 | 02:57 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
To clarify, was never included. You are thinking sports chrono that is included as part of the 7-speed.

and lots of people (some in this thread - and Car and Driver) will tell you the S-PASM does in fact ride rough. So if you want the better ride, don’t add that. You can still get the sports exhaust however.
Motorin Mark (11-16-2022)

Quick Reply: PASM on 23' 911 "S"....