Sponsored by:

Dealership Add-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 AM
nv992gts
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dealership Add-Ons

After a year long wait, my GTS is here and I plan to take delivery today. I understand that these choices come down to individual needs and priorities, but I’m curious about what packages are considered valuable and/or less desirable. Living in a big city, I am strongly considering the windshield protection package. Possibly the wheel protection package as well.

Any other tips for the dealership would be appreciated as well!
Old 09-07-2022, 10:26 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts

Just remember that the prices are negotiable. If the windshield protection package is about stone chips, etc., doesn't your Auto insurance have that coverage already? Tire/wheel protection probably makes sense if you're going to drive a lot.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

As I said in previous threads - I would vote against any dealer add-ons. Only thing I would do it buy the prepaid maintenance (calculate how long you like to keep the car) as these are typically 50% off from when paying as you go. All other packages are overpriced and can be had cheaper and better quality ()PPF etc) somewhere else.
The following users liked this post:
GuardsRed992 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I might buy the Porsche brand All-Weather floor mats. That’s about it though.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
detansinn (09-08-2022), Fullyield (02-10-2023), Vista6019 (02-09-2023)
Old 09-07-2022, 12:15 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

I only took the pre-paid maintenance. Seems like it is worth the cost given that service costs go up.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:46 AM
rdv
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nv992gts
After a year long wait, my GTS is here and I plan to take delivery today. I understand that these choices come down to individual needs and priorities, but I’m curious about what packages are considered valuable and/or less desirable. Living in a big city, I am strongly considering the windshield protection package. Possibly the wheel protection package as well.

Any other tips for the dealership would be appreciated as well!
get the tire and rim protection package. You will thank me the first time you hit a pothole. My package for five years of coverage was $2500. A single tire and rim isn’t much less than that. as others said, prices are negotiable and you should not accept the first quote.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:23 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by rdv
get the tire and rim protection package. You will thank me the first time you hit a pothole. My package for five years of coverage was $2500. A single tire and rim isn’t much less than that. as others said, prices are negotiable and you should not accept the first quote.
This is where we disagree. $2500 are a lot of tire punctures and any wheel shop can fix curb rashes for $100. Only if the wheel gets bend would it be more costly but have not heard of anyone who hit a pothole that bad and had such severe damage, in particular with the forged wheels.
Did you damage on that needed replacement?
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Andy2021 (02-09-2023), detansinn (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 08:54 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I purchased the PPF package from my dealer. I wanted it done before I hit the roads. The independent installer is well known in the area/ Pricing was negotiated to the same level as if I went to the independent installer myself. The dealership made a few bucks and made them happy.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:24 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Nothing offered “in the box” is worth your money. I don’t understand why people spend thousands on this nonsense, more often than not, baked into a car loan.

If you bugger up your wheels, wheel repair is cheap. Road hazard insurance for tires can be purchased after the fact for a few dollars if you’re really worried about such things. Remember that tires can be patched (don’t do plugs). If having to replace a tire on your own dime breaks the bank, do not buy a 911.

Windshield insurance? Your auto policy provides coverage for such things. A do it yourself windshield repair kit costs $12-15, is easy to use, and when used before a chip becomes a big crack, can save you a lot of cash. Keep one in your car.

The “self-insurance” route has served me very well and I drive my cars. I put more than 35k miles on my 992 in 2.5 years. I’ve put 18k miles on my Taycan in 5 months.

Pre-paid maintenance? I also came out ahead with my 992 by paying for the services myself vs the pre-pay. There’s no bargains to be had there. The first one is free anyway and included with the car.
The following 5 users liked this post by detansinn:
911newguy (02-11-2023), Andy2021 (02-09-2023), Fullyield (02-10-2023), Staffie Guy (09-08-2022), Tobeit (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsRed992
I only took the pre-paid maintenance. Seems like it is worth the cost given that service costs go up.
What did the pre-paid maintenance run you? And for how long? miles?
Old 02-09-2023, 10:56 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

What's the downside of prepaid maintenance? Assuming you don't lose your car.
For example, doing a conservative 2 or 3 yr prepaid maintenance?

I always wonder if there is truly a "discount" or if they are just offering the same price and making you pay 3 years in advance. I guess I have a deep distrust for car dealers but if there is a real discount, is there a reason many seasoned pros recommend against it? (assuming I plan to service at porsche dealer and not buy my oil and bring it to excellent joe down the street- I know this path is cheaper)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:43 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> What's the downside of prepaid maintenance?
IMO, unless the 992 is your primary vehicle and you're doing 'commuter miles' then you'll likely never hit most of the service milestones so you'd be quite literally paying 'money for nothing'. Besides, it's just basically oil and filters plus a series of dubious 'inspections' which any competent corner gas station with a clue could handle. While these are amazing cars there's nothing 'special' about them (thankfully) from a maintenance standpoint, though Porsche would love you to think otherwise and despite people's tendencies to fetishize things like oil changes, etc. So the only 'downside' is you'll be wasting money on services you'll likely never use. Remember, until extortionate ADM most dealers make their $$$ on service not sales, so as with all things 'follow the money'....

Last edited by jlegelis; 02-09-2023 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:45 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> What's the downside of prepaid maintenance?
IMO, unless the 992 is your primary vehicle and you're doing 'commuter miles' then you're likely never hit most of the service milestones so you'd be quite literally paying 'money for nothing'. Besides, it's just basically oil and filters plus a series of dubious 'inspections' which any competent corner gas station with a clue could handle. While these are amazing cars there's nothing 'special' about them (thankfully) from a maintenance standpoint, though Porsche would love you to think otherwise and despite people's tendencies to fetishize things like oil changes, etc. So the only 'downside' is you'll be wasting money on services you'll likely never use. Remember, until extortionate ADM most dealers make their $$$ on service not sales, so as with all things 'follow the money'....
Thanks, not hitting service milestones make a lot of sense. Some of the services are listed as 2nd year or 20k miles. So if you reach year 2 and only have 4k miles do you just skip the service?
Old 02-09-2023, 11:56 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
Thanks, not hitting service milestones make a lot of sense. Some of the services are listed as 2nd year or 20k miles. So if you reach year 2 and only have 4k miles do you just skip the service?
​​​​​​​Definitely not. You should do an oil change every 10k miles or 1 year.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 12:11 AM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 917 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
What's the downside of prepaid maintenance? Assuming you don't lose your car.
For example, doing a conservative 2 or 3 yr prepaid maintenance?

I always wonder if there is truly a "discount" or if they are just offering the same price and making you pay 3 years in advance. I guess I have a deep distrust for car dealers but if there is a real discount, is there a reason many seasoned pros recommend against it? (assuming I plan to service at porsche dealer and not buy my oil and bring it to excellent joe down the street- I know this path is cheaper)
The discount is that you pay 2023 service prices for 2025 / 2026 service intervals which would most likely cost a little more due to inflation. I’d rather just pay for it at the time of the service interval honestly

Quick Reply: Dealership Add-Ons