Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about chalk

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 09:18 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

I had a. moment of doubt . I even changed my entire build , called my salesman and sent the code . After a long night I decided to keep the chalk .I dont think I ever ordered a car where I didn't second guess. Some may recall that when I got my 992 I gave every color and combination of options consideration . That car was changed three times over the 1 year span . In the end I am thrilled with the outcome . I do detest the process though. .
Old 09-02-2022, 10:23 AM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw a Macan in chalk and looks gorgeous. I was tempted to order a 992 as well, but this arrived and I said , will not have two of the same color.
Obvious, I love it . If this can help you :

The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (09-06-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 09:20 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you have to ask others (especially strangers) whether a particular color is right for you, then it just means that the color is not right for you.
The best opinions come from an actual owner who gets to live with the car daily . They see it in all settings (night day, rain, overcast, dust , etc) . I have never seen a poll on. Rennlist but did see one a few years back on Macan Forum . The question was what color did you buy and regret and the most popular answer was a popular color (volcano) . It actually surprised people who were ordering a car not because it was just one opinion but because it was a significant number of those who owned the car . In fact it just happens to be the color Nick Murray gave back for his Mamba Macan .

I have owned colors that I never imagined I would love (like my GT silver on this car) as much or disappoint as much (arctic silver on a 997 or platinum satin wheels on a former Macan) . Its living with it daily that isn't shared enough other than by those who love the color.

If I look at chalk just on this thread it gets a high rating by those who have or had the car . I believe they would be honest in either case.

Granted there are some people who know right out of the gate what color they want . Sometimes I am that guy . When however I am unsure anything helps to ultimately make what I think its the best choice for me.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:29 AM
iguana
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife has a (new) Macan in Chalk exterior with gloss black accents, Pebble Grey interior with carbon fibre trim. It was her choice on the build. I wasn't sure, but bit my tongue. But now that it is here, it is pretty awesome.

That being said, I couldn't see myself in a Chalk 911. Can't really put my finger on why. It is awesome on the Macan. But a 911? Maybe it's the lack of drama?

For perspective - if I could get my hands on a GT3 RS - my ideal color would be a metallic Rubystar. The color would match the drama in the car... But YMMV :-)
Yojeffo (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 04:25 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

Personally I much prefer GT Silver over Chalk if you want a light “greyish” colour that will go well with black accents.
Chalk is very much an “of the moment” colour. It’s currently in fashion but when that trend passes it will date the car. This goes for black wheels also.
GT Silver is timeless class, and class never goes out of fashion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marcha:
AlfaQV2019 (09-03-2022), txpackers (09-04-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 05:54 AM
AlfaQV2019
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 992 GTS Cab in chalk with red roof and full bordeaux interior w chalk stitching. I’m obsessed with my interior and roof. I love the contrast especially with the black bits of GTS, but I agree that in some lights Chalk paint can look ugly with brown undertones. I don’t think I’ll ever order another *non-metallic* white, gray/silver or black paint color again. I had a GT Silver Spyder before and the color felt boring at times, but it never looked ugly to me like chalk does. The new ice grey metallic is actually very intriguing and I can’t wait to see it in person.

Also agree that chalk is very much “of the moment” color and I let that influence me into choosing it because all of my friends and family liked it. I do get lots of compliments so maybe I’m crazy. And now there’s just way too many chalk colored cars driving around and seems like 50% of 992s are chalk. It’s definitely not worth the extra cost for “special color”.

Last edited by AlfaQV2019; 09-03-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:45 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlfaQV2019
I have a 992 GTS Cab in chalk with red roof and full bordeaux interior w chalk stitching. I’m obsessed with my interior and roof. I love the contrast especially with the black bits of GTS, but I agree that in some lights Chalk paint can look ugly with brown undertones. I don’t think I’ll ever order another *non-metallic* white, gray/silver or black paint color again. I had a GT Silver Spyder before and the color felt boring at times, but it never looked ugly to me like chalk does. The new ice grey metallic is actually very intriguing and I can’t wait to see it in person.

Also agree that chalk is very much “of the moment” color and I let that influence me into choosing it because all of my friends and family liked it. I do get lots of compliments so maybe I’m crazy. And now there’s just way too many chalk colored cars driving around and seems like 50% of 992s are chalk. It’s definitely not worth the extra cost for “special color”.
yes that’s exactly what happens with automotive trends. The premium top end brands bring them in, they get very popular, a bit too common, then ford and Chrysler and everyone else introduces them for cheapo runabouts and people get tired of it, then it looks “old”.
Black wheels were fresh to me in 2010 when I had them on my 996 Turbo S but they’ve been on everything from grannies hatchback to Korean family SUVs since and it surprises me that Porsche still offer them so prevalently, with no other choice as with the GTS centrelocks, any colour as long as it’s black. That’s old hat.
Wheels are easy to change though, they can be painted or swapped for HRE or Forgeline etc but the colour of the car is permanent.
Id definitely stay away from colours that see a sudden spike in popularity like chalk and shark blue. The plethora of Shark Blue GT3’s being flipped on the market already look too generic and undesirable to me.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:22 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
Personally I much prefer GT Silver over Chalk if you want a light “greyish” colour that will go well with black accents.
Chalk is very much an “of the moment” colour. It’s currently in fashion but when that trend passes it will date the car. This goes for black wheels also.
GT Silver is timeless class, and class never goes out of fashion.
People have been saying black wheels are a "trend that will pass" for 20 years now... I'm sure it will pass any day now

Yes, Chalk (or black wheels) is trendy but that was probably also said about many colors that were introduced on cars and then "stuck". Imagine the first red car... I bet people said it was trendy and would pass too. My point is if the color looks nice, people will continue to like and buy it regardless. Same thing with black wheels. I would worry less about whether it's a trend that will pass and just decide based on whether it's an attractive color and compliments the car IMO.

Last edited by gthal; 09-03-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Yojeffo (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:44 AM
Shikar
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts

White cab with chalk / red inside works like a charm in my car.

Regards.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by gthal
People have been saying black wheels are a "trend that will pass" for 20 years now... I'm sure it will pass any day now

Yes, Chalk (or black wheels) is trendy but that was probably also said about many colors that were introduced on cars and then "stuck". Imagine the first red car... I bet people said it was trendy and would pass too. My point is if the color looks nice, people will continue to like and buy it regardless. Same thing with black wheels. I would worry less about whether it's a trend that will pass and just decide based on whether it's an attractive color and compliments the car IMO.
Yes black wheels haven’t passed for the mass motoring market I agree. They’ve passed for those of us who like our sports cars that we’re paying a fortune for to look different and special. More special than a run of the mill Mazda or Kia family suv that now largely have black wheels. Chalk and black and shark blue and black are now commonly seen on most high street dealer vehicles. I saw a Citroen hatch in shark blue with black wheels only today. In that way it’s got old and it’s no longer something I’m interested in seeing on my Porsche.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:52 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

I have gone back and forth on chalk, to, but one day I saw one pass by and really liked the way it looked. Ordered my TTS in chalk. I’ve gotten more comments on how good the car looks than any other car I’ve owned. I really like the way it brings out the contours of the car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. G:
sslow (12-25-2022), tourenwagen (09-06-2022), Yojeffo (09-03-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 06:40 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 89 Posts

Agree - Chalk looks great on the 911 silhouette with various black accents, glass sunroof, and mildly tinted windows. When I saw Chalk on larger Porsches it did nothing for me. Fascinating how a color can influence your mind based on the shape its applied to.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:04 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Chalk Turbo owner here and really dig it.
But.
On a Macan? No way. The current/new Macan has a large black front "insert" which really breaks up light colors and I could not, in any way, look at the front of a chalk macan with all sorts of black bits breaking it up regularly. Same for white on a new Macan.
Love the two colors; don't love them on the Macan.
IMO.

Quick Reply: Questions about chalk