Sponsored by:

Collision warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 05:41 PM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Collision warning

I have had my 992 S for 18 months. Over that time, I have had the Collision Warning triangle come up five or six times (including today) when I get too close to the car in front at some speed. In each case, I was able to get on the brakes myself. I am wondering who has actually experienced your car doing emergency braking by itself before you hit the brake, and if so, how close did you get to the other car before the automatic braking kicked in and whether it was successful in avoiding a collision.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:02 PM
Hormazd Dalal
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by patentguy
I have had my 992 S for 18 months. Over that time, I have had the Collision Warning triangle come up five or six times (including today) when I get too close to the car in front at some speed. In each case, I was able to get on the brakes myself. I am wondering who has actually experienced your car doing emergency braking by itself before you hit the brake, and if so, how close did you get to the other car before the automatic braking kicked in and whether it was successful in avoiding a collision.
I too have have the warning triangle go off multiple times. But once last year, it really was close on an off ramp where cars suddenly stopped, I swear by the time my foot hit the brake pedal, the computer had beat me to it. It does work and is a saver.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:11 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

The car does jolt you by forcefully applying the brakes if you get too close but I'm not sure if it will brake to a full stop or if it's just designed to get your attention
Old 08-30-2022, 08:12 PM
rm4enjoyit
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally I'm not a big fan of this feature as it goes off too often on false threats. Maybe someday it will save my wallet or my life and I'll sing a different tune.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

More likely to get me rear-ended in dense highway traffic, if it's anything like the implementation in the Gen2 Macan. I feel safer with it turned off.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:20 PM
356Fan3
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by patentguy
From The “Settings” menu:
Select “Assistance system settings”
then, “Porsche Active Safe”
then “Collision Warning”

From here you can select the desired warning threshold;
“Early”
”Regular”
”Late”
or “Off”

I’ve found “Late” to give almost zero false alarms. Only very rarely does it give me the pre-warning chime, which is usually about the same time my foot is already applying the necessary braking.

*Edit to add that I suspect this may only turn off the warning chime and brake pulse feature. It’s possible that the final, last moment break application still remains

Found this on another post. Hope it helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by 356Fan3:
Domer911 (02-22-2023), tourenwagen (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 10:40 PM
rm4enjoyit
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Fan3
then “Collision Warning”

“Early”
”Regular”
”Late”
or “Off”

I’ve found “Late” to give almost zero false alarms. Only very rarely does it give me the pre-warning chime, which is usually about the same time my foot is already applying the necessary braking.

*Edit to add that I suspect this may only turn off the warning chime and brake pulse feature. It’s possible that the final, last moment break application still remains

Wow, good to know, thank you!!!
Old 08-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by 356Fan3
then “Collision Warning”

“Early”
”Regular”
”Late”
or “Off”

I have mine on Early and it has gone off 3 times in 12,000 miles. 1 of which I was checking my mirrors and was just turning my head back straight. 2 I was just coming to a stop quickly while looking forward. It definitely will alert me with enough time to brake and I’m happy to have it in case I’m ever distracted or have my head turned.

I don’t have ACC and not sure if it will brake itself or just warn without it.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:36 AM
81romeo
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Do we all agree it will eventually break and take the car to a still stand? I've got the chime so far ca. 10 times in 12,000 miles.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:53 AM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you need ACC for the braking feature to work? I believe the auto braking is going to be monitory on all new cars within a couple of years.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:05 PM
81romeo
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by joe 997
Do you need ACC for the braking feature to work? I believe the auto braking is going to be monitory on all new cars within a couple of years.
No idea - but I got ACC with InnoDrive on mine
Old 08-31-2022, 01:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I don't think it will brake without the ACC/Innodrive stuff. The warning has def saved me; I was in slow traffic and started futzing with the PCM because I was bored. Yes, my bad. Thankfully the system warned me that traffic had come to a stop for some reason; I had to brake hard to avoid rear ending the guy in front.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
Guzzgreg (09-04-2022), Master Deep (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:17 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I don't think it will brake without the ACC/Innodrive stuff. The warning has def saved me; I was in slow traffic and started futzing with the PCM because I was bored. Yes, my bad. Thankfully the system warned me that traffic had come to a stop for some reason; I had to brake hard to avoid rear ending the guy in front.
Not sure about that. Mine slammed on the brake when it thought I was going to hit a bush while backing out of my garage, and I don't have ACC. I never even knew the feature existed until that happened.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:20 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
Not sure about that. Mine slammed on the brake when it thought I was going to hit a bush while backing out of my garage, and I don't have ACC. I never even knew the feature existed until that happened.
I would like to know how it works, as I thought it only worked at a certain speed - meaning higher speeds. If it works at lower speeds, not sure - as parallel parking has never given me a warning, or applied the breaks (I have a manual trans) so maybe it doesn't work with that.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:41 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I would like to know how it works, as I thought it only worked at a certain speed - meaning higher speeds. If it works at lower speeds, not sure - as parallel parking has never given me a warning, or applied the breaks (I have a manual trans) so maybe it doesn't work with that.
When it happened, it actually made me think I HAD hit something, because it really slammed on the brakes. I didn't even know what it was until I saw the warning in the message area in the gauges. Not sure if this matters, but the bush it thought I was going to hit was off the right front fender; I have to turn the car while backing out of my garage.

Quick Reply: Collision warning