Sponsored by:

Debating a friend on Rear Axle Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 05:32 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Debating a friend on Rear Axle Steering

There are three of use in this discussion . The third person is ready to buy his first 911 and he asked us to crtitique his build . The debate centers on RAS .

My view - My first 991.2 GTS did not have RAS . I loved the car but optioned and have RAS. in my 992 GTS Aside from the 992 being an improved car I notice the agility and turning radius . My suggestion to the 911 newbie was that the only concern I have is the expense of a lithium battery but outside of that I love the feature .

My friends view - He admits its controversial but he felt that at certain speeds and driving circumstances the car did not feel as easily controllable as without it. He feels that he needs it in his Gt3 because of the double wishbone suspension but that in the non GT cars it can be a danger .

I told him that despite every journalist review and tests ranging from the street to the track I have never heard.even one complaint . I know that he feels that I drive like an old man because my max lateral G data is civilized . The truth is that I am an old man .. haha . However , with that age comes enough wisdom to believe that Porsche would not place an unsafe feature into production cars geared towards ordinary drivers .

So here's the question ... Has anyone ever experienced any type of safety concern with RAS in street, track, or road conditions , speed (low or high) oe climate . ? I would like to hear replies that support his claim because even using search features I have found none . Its ok if someone agrees with him BTW . I just want to hear opinions /experiences. .

Thanks .

PS. The third guy ( 911 newbie) has not decided . He simply listened to us both .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-19-2022 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:42 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

I can’t see how RAS can be unsafe compared to one without. The lawyers will be right on that. Unless it malfunctions at high speed and turn the wheels the wrong way, which I assume is not possible.

However if one tries to defy physics in a RAS car, that’s a different story.
The following users liked this post:
garthg (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 06:42 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I've driven 911's with and without RWS. I wish I could tell but sadly I couldn't it was installed. I guess if I was going to track the car I would install but very sadly I think it's more hype about nothing. RWS has no safety issues only $2000 track option.

Last edited by EZ E; 08-19-2022 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
audioslave992 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:40 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I can’t see how RAS can be unsafe compared to one without. The lawyers will be right on that. Unless it malfunctions at high speed and turn the wheels the wrong way, which I assume is not possible.

However if one tries to defy physics in a RAS car, that’s a different story.
That is what I said to him . Every car (or driver) has limits and just like a car cant drive over water or fly in the air maybe it could not do what you expected . He replied that in Florida we don't have hairpin turns and to some extent. that is true . However I am not the only person with RAS and the world is a big place. People would complain . Ion fact look at all the journalist complaints on the 718 . Ranging from the 4 cylinder turbo (base and S) to the long gears in the 6 speed Spyder people voiced it. I told him that I will silence myself with even one similar complaint . My Rennlist search was mostly favorable with the exception of the battery cost .

The funny thing is I do tespect him but I think on this he's wrong . Now it is early in the thread so I hope to hear more .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-19-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:52 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

I have had RAS on both my 992's (including my current Targa), and also on my 991.2 GT3T. On my previous 991's and before I did not have RAS.

The biggest noticeable difference for me has been in slow u-turn situations, the turning radius is much shorter with RAS, freakishly so. I have not really noticed a difference in high speed type driving, I have / not do not track my 911as it is more my Daily driver (and do not track my touring) so I cannot comment on the track part. But I will say it was standard on the 991.2 GT3 cars, so likely does benefit for track use.

I opted for RAS and PDCC on my targa, wanted the best handing as possible (Targas are a bit top heavy) - certainly do not need them, as probably most conditions I or whomever would never notice them being there, but I like them, and for me worth it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
Gables (08-21-2022), Smirnoff67 (08-19-2022), TJacobson (08-19-2022), wingless (05-12-2023)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:05 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

Just get it. At worst theres no perceptible difference but helps with resale. At best you'll beat your buddy in his GT3. Theres no way it impacts safety negatively
Old 08-19-2022, 08:07 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

I also have RAS and PDCC on my Targa. I had never driven a car with RAS before this one. Interesting upon picking up the car in Jan. And driving it home on Parkways I felt almost like I was oversteering the car when changing lanes…what I mean is it seemed the car changed lanes quicker than I was used to. But it was me getting used to the RAS, not the car. Taking it out for a longer ride the next day I quickly got accustom to the handling of the car. To the point now I don’t eleven notice it anymore and love having it especially high speed turns as well as u-turns as Richard above has stated. But do miss not having it on my other cars. This car feels the most planted of any I’ve had before.
The following 2 users liked this post by Guzzgreg:
Richard_Wallace (08-19-2022), Smirnoff67 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:29 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
Just get it. At worst theres no perceptible difference but helps with resale. At best you'll beat your buddy in his GT3. Theres no way it impacts safety negatively
Edit you:

Just get it. At worst…it won’t f*****g start when the battery craps out…
The following 2 users liked this post by BondJ:
EXFIB (08-19-2022), Fullyield (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:38 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

The lithium battery issue seems to be pretty rare. My 991.2 had it and as someone who lives in a pretty big city with crappy streets, it was a godsend. I originally specced my incoming GTS without it but then convinced myself to get it because the turning radius reduction is worth it to me.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:43 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Had RAS on a 2017 991.2 C4S and a 2020 BMW M850xi. Didn't notice it on either except had the Li battery issue in the 850 (car has 2 batteries; 1 AGM, 1 Li). My '22 RWD GTS does not have it and I don't regret it at all.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:47 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

RAS - Have it. Love it. Had my car at the tint, ppf, ceramic shop for 3 week (some of the time waiting for film) for various items. Doors open, closed, key close by, etc and it fired right up after 3weeks of this. Zero battery concerns.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Looks nobody reads and tries to actually answer the OP’s question if anybody has ever heard about safety concerns with RAS. I have not ever heard such concern.

PS: And to continue to just provide my opinion on RAS. If money does not matter, go for it. But if you set a budget for your car - it would be one of the last options I would click on for various reasons: Li battery, never had issues with turning radius, I don’t track, just another thing that can break, weight for something I don’t need, car handles terrific w/o it already….
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

You lose a little rear end feel with RAS when you’re really pushing car. Outside of that, it’s almost all upside.

In regular use of the car, the notable difference will be turning radius at slow speeds. With that being said, it’s not like a 911 has a long wheelbase to begin with. If turning radius is a priority for your sports car experience, RAS will give you the tightest possible turning radius for parking maneuvers.

Personally, I prefer the experience without RAS. I feel like it delivers more of a classic 911 feel.

Regarding the Lithium battery, suck it up. Yeah, it’s expensive to replace in the event of failure, but it’s in car that probably cost you more than $150k. Do not go into the new Porsche 911 experience thinking that anything will be cheap — maintaining the car is part of the cost of ownership. Drive your car regularly and that battery will last a long time.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:24 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I’ve not heard of any safety issues with RAS. OTOH I did not select it for two reasons: First, IMHO it adds a bit of unnecessary complexity to what really is a street car. Knowing the skill levels and the condition of most dealer service equipment. . . . doing an “accurate” four wheel alignment on a RAS car has too many negative variables in my experience. Second, is the Lithium Battery. Between its replacement cost and the issues folks have reported, it seems (to me) that the engineering behind its adoption by Porsche isn’t quite ready for prime time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Fullyield (08-20-2022), TimD (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:24 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

I read a while ago, on another forum, somebody bitching they totalled their 911 due to faulty RAS. Absolutely no evidence for it. Just the fact that it couldn’t possible have been their lack of talent…

Quick Reply: Debating a friend on Rear Axle Steering