Sponsored by:

Europipe Sport Cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 10:30 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Before you go digging in the scrapyard , I was referring to the regular OEM 992 Carrera exhaust, not the PSE. As far as I know the Euro and US PSE are identical.
Well that’s a bummer.
The following users liked this post:
zachr (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:37 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Curious - those of you that are disappointed with stock PSE on your GTS — are you in soft break in period? I wind mine out to 7k and it’s pretty glorious.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:49 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Curious - those of you that are disappointed with stock PSE on your GTS — are you in soft break in period? I wind mine out to 7k and it’s pretty glorious.
No GTS here but PSE is pretty underwhelming under 4-5000 rpm or whatever it takes before it opens up. I can run it with the switch on all day long on the interstate and not hear it over the road noise. Now wide open it sounds fantastic but the valve algorithm they use sucks.
Guzzgreg (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:02 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

I'll hit 5k miles this week after about 2 months. I'm unintentionally on the @detansinn program 😁

Glorious indeed at 7k, I agree. Not so glorious at 2000, or even 3000 really. Of course, coming from a C63 with sport cats I expected to lose some of the glorious exhaust noises I was used to, but to me the car sounds downright pedestrian unless you're revving it out. It's certainly a weak point IMO. Although I see how this is preferable for many 911 customers, for the GTS, for me, it was a letdown that driving around town doesn't induce more auditory pleasure.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
Guzzgreg (07-28-2022), shrimp money (08-05-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
No GTS here but PSE is pretty underwhelming under 4-5000 rpm or whatever it takes before it opens up. I can run it with the switch on all day long on the interstate and not hear it over the road noise. Now wide open it sounds fantastic but the valve algorithm they use sucks.
When I drive on an interstate, I tend to wind it out during merge, and run through some gears getting to the lane I'm targeting, and to these ears, it leaves nothing to be desired. I would not want it to be louder under 3 or 4. I like that it screams up high, but is not too loud at cruising RPMs. That said, I'm always met with "we knew you were here when you drove up" when I go to friend's/family's houses. So clearly it's louder than a normal car.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirm5:
KLOC (07-26-2022), Tobeit (08-06-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 02:50 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

My Carrera S w/ PSE has been underwhelming for thousands of miles. It finally started to get a bit louder after maybe 3K miles. The worst part is how little difference there is btw normal and sport - like almost imperceptible with windows down. Your experience is different b/c you have a GTS and a convertible and I'm sure that makes your exhaust much more noticeable.

I finally got the M Engineering tune about a month ago and now I have the PSE set to fully open exhaust valves 100% at all RPMs when in sport and sport+ mode and now there is a pronounced difference btw normal and sport. There is also a subtle vibration that goes through the car when I place it in sport mode that wasn't there before. It's definitely more enjoyable and truly sad that the stock PSE exhaust programming is so pathetically weak.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
911-AL (08-09-2024), Love_Tacos_911 (10-25-2023), shrimp money (08-05-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Following
Old 08-06-2022, 01:28 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
it’s intended that way and fine with me. My exhaust does not need to be so loud that I can hear it driving 100mph…that would be annoying on long HW trips.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:31 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
My Carrera S w/ PSE has been underwhelming for thousands of miles. It finally started to get a bit louder after maybe 3K miles. The worst part is how little difference there is btw normal and sport - like almost imperceptible with windows down. Your experience is different b/c you have a GTS and a convertible and I'm sure that makes your exhaust much more noticeable.

I finally got the M Engineering tune about a month ago and now I have the PSE set to fully open exhaust valves 100% at all RPMs when in sport and sport+ mode and now there is a pronounced difference btw normal and sport. There is also a subtle vibration that goes through the car when I place it in sport mode that wasn't there before. It's definitely more enjoyable and truly sad that the stock PSE exhaust programming is so pathetically weak.
your experience sounds weird. I can easily hear the difference between normal and sport when flipping the switch at idle. It’s still not loud as you may like it but clearly distinguishable. Actually, the difference is more pronounced compared to my C63s.m with AMG PSE. AMG just rumbles more at any mods.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:39 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Reading these exhaust threads makes me wonder what people expect from a stock twin-turbo flat 6. Also, noise and smog regulations particular in EU cause limitations what stock sound can be. Also, I would argue most 992 buyers prefer an exhaust that wakes up when pushing RPM and not be excruciating loud in the city or when cruising. Also, if the stock is not loud enough for some of us, easy to modify to make it as loud as you wish. Will never sound like a rumbling V8 or a high revving V10/12 hypercar. I do like the PSE in general and in sport plus the high pitch shifting sound is very enjoyable. I still modify my PSE but not because I think Porsche did a terrible job with that exhaust but only because I do like it a little more recognize able and maybe simply different than most other 992’s on my streets
Old 08-06-2022, 01:44 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Could someone with factory sports exhaust please do a interior cabin decibel test before and after installation of the 200 cel cats?

Both with and without the valves open?

Interesting mod, but honestly I don't want any additional noise inside the cabin, but like the idea of freeing up the turbos a tad.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2022, 01:55 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Reading these exhaust threads makes me wonder what people expect from a stock twin-turbo flat 6. Also, noise and smog regulations particular in EU cause limitations what stock sound can be. Also, I would argue most 992 buyers prefer an exhaust that wakes up when pushing RPM and not be excruciating loud in the city or when cruising. Also, if the stock is not loud enough for some of us, easy to modify to make it as loud as you wish. Will never sound like a rumbling V8 or a high revving V10/12 hypercar. I do like the PSE in general and in sport plus the high pitch shifting sound is very enjoyable. I still modify my PSE but not because I think Porsche did a terrible job with that exhaust but only because I do like it a little more recognize able and maybe simply different than most other 992’s on my streets
This is all very subjective. Personally, I felt that the PSE needed to have more presence at lower RPMs without being obnoxious.The Akrapovic slip-on (with OEM Cats kept in place) achieves that and provides a deeper, raspier sound profile. That, however, comes at a cost: a VERY loud cold start and a loss of the "stealth mode" (also normal mode is now louder and the exhaust button no longer creates a meaningful difference). The Akra sounds great in all drive modes. I got used to the cold start - I doubt my neighbors ever will... 😎
Tobeit (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 09:59 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

I feel like electric cutouts where the link pipe attaches to the muffler on each end is the answer.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:05 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Is there a online link to purchase?

Last edited by westsiderkg; 08-07-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:43 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
your experience sounds weird. I can easily hear the difference between normal and sport when flipping the switch at idle. It’s still not loud as you may like it but clearly distinguishable. Actually, the difference is more pronounced compared to my C63s.m with AMG PSE. AMG just rumbles more at any mods.
What year is your car? I think the difference in the 2020s are more pronounced than 2021. Some with 2020 models have gotten their ECUs updated and complained that their exhaust sounded much tamer after the update.

It could also just be my expectations as I am used to running aftermarket exhausts on all my cars and just like louder cars in general. Still though, for the first 3000 miles or so, it was almost impossible to tell the difference btw normal and sport and the burbles in sport were barely perceptible and again, this is with the window rolled down and me trying hard to hear the difference.

Quick Reply: Europipe Sport Cats