Sponsored by:

[Car and Driver] Tested: 2022 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Manual Embraces Its Niche

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,250 Posts
Default [Car and Driver] Tested: 2022 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Manual Embraces Its Niche

And not one mention of "sweet spot" ...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Tested: 2022 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Manual Embraces Its Niche

The latest GTS model shines bright in the small space that exists between the Carrera S and GT3.

BY DAVID BEARD
JUL 13, 2022VIEW PHOTOS

MICHAEL SIMARICAR AND DRIVERFrom the July/August 2022 issue of Car and Driver.

Tucked away in a lab are Porsche scientists capable of splitting hairs beyond a nanometer. Or so we think. How else could a team develop so many variants of a single car? If the 911 Carrera S isn't enough but the GT3 is out of reach, split the difference with the new 911 Carrera GTS.

The $138,050 Carrera GTS follows the usual formula: Standard equipment includes the sporty options on the Carrera S, such as a 0.4-inch-lower sport suspension, a louder exhaust, and the Sport Chrono package's dynamic engine mounts, Sport Plus mode, and launch control. To separate itself from the lesser model, the GTS also receives helper springs on the rear axle, the Turbo's brake system, and the Turbo S's center-lock wheels.
VIEW PHOTOS

MICHAEL SIMARICAR AND DRIVERHIGHS: Nearly as quick as the automatic, fantastic to drive.
The twin-turbo 3.0-liter flat-six is tuned up with more boost to produce 473 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, 30 more of each than the Carrera S offers. Though an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic is standard, a seven-speed manual is a no-cost option. Here in the GTS it's treated to a shift lever that's 0.4 inch shorter than the one in the Carrera S.

The automatic's brilliant launch programming is entertaining yet so easy, even Ralph Nader could rip consistent sub-three-second 60-mph sprints. But there's a certain gratification in executing the perfect hole shot with a DIY gearbox.
VIEW PHOTOS

MICHAEL SIMARICAR AND DRIVERPerform a flawless slip of the clutch in the stick-shift GTS and it rockets off the line with the same ferocity as the dual-clutch version. In both cars, 30 mph arrives in 1.2 seconds. Nail the one-two shift and 60 mph takes 3.2 seconds, 0.4 second behind the autobox, just a bit longer than the time it takes to shift. That puts this Porsche in a tie with the fire-*breathing 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and the 2017 Dodge Viper ACR for the quickest manual-*equipped cars we've tested (both of those get to 60 mph without a shift to second). The GTS manual demolishes the quarter-*mile in 11.3 seconds at 126 mph, narrowly trailing the automatic.
VIEW PHOTOS

MICHAEL SIMARICAR AND DRIVER
LOWS: Brutally stiff ride, the quickest has yet to arrive.

As with all 992s, the GTS is stupid easy to drive fast. Those not versed in the art of heel-and-toe shifting will benefit from rev matching, which can be disabled through the infotainment system. We defy you to find a better electronically assisted steering system. There's uncanny feedback at the limit, and with optional rear-axle steering increasing stability, the 3401-pound GTS pulls 1.06 g's around the skidpad. Ride quality will depend on location. In Michigan, with the dampers in their softest setting, the stiffer springs were judged brutal.

VIEW PHOTOS

MICHAEL SIMARICAR AND DRIVERThe GTS is a sports car first, but it's also a marvel of efficiency. It returned 32 mpg in our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test. With the optional 23.7-gallon fuel tank, 750 miles on a fill-up is possible.

The GTS can be ordered with a Lightweight package (carbon-fiber seats, lightweight glass, less sound deadening, rear-seat delete) to shave a claimed 55 pounds; spec the carbon-*ceramic brakes and a seven-speed manual, keep the standard fuel tank, and the GTS could be 100 pounds lighter. Or just wait for the 2023 911 Sport Classic, with its 543 horsepower, to arrive as the king of the manuals. We'll test both. For science.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-13-2022 at 01:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlterZgo (07-13-2022), SamD (07-16-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 01:49 PM
davitd
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all, my first post on Rennlist. I just recently got the allocation of 911 GTS and placed an order. This is my first Porsche although have driven lots of Porsche models. Reading this article I got surprised about brutal ride on poor roads. Since roads in my country are not that smooth, would I regret getting the standard GTS suspension or should I switch to Carrera S suspension.

Just to gove the context, this would be my weekend car. From recent 911s I drove 992 Turbo s and 991 gt3 touring. I found both quite comfortable and usable on poor surface. Where does 992 gts end in terms of ride comfort, closer to turbo or gt3?
Old 07-13-2022, 02:02 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Amazing performance for a manual. For any manual GTS owners, can you share how high your car can rev when stopped in neutral? The 3500 RPM limit for my S does not seem like a high enough RPM to get a good clean launch. My car is tuned now so it's a moot point but just curious if Porsche increased the stationary rev limiter given that the C&D article talks about the GTS's "brilliant launch programming". Doe a GTS manual even have an actual launch control or launch programming mode?
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by davitd
Hi all, my first post on Rennlist. I just recently got the allocation of 911 GTS and placed an order. This is my first Porsche although have driven lots of Porsche models. Reading this article I got surprised about brutal ride on poor roads. Since roads in my country are not that smooth, would I regret getting the standard GTS suspension or should I switch to Carrera S suspension.

Just to gove the context, this would be my weekend car. From recent 911s I drove 992 Turbo s and 991 gt3 touring. I found both quite comfortable and usable on poor surface. Where does 992 gts end in terms of ride comfort, closer to turbo or gt3?
It'd be a shame to revert a GTS to the non-sports setup. Roads here in SoCal aren't very smooth either, you do get used to the stiffer SPASM setup that's standard in the GTS. And you can run the tire pressures in what they call 'comfort' setup which does make a difference.

Maybe try and find an S with SPASM, apart from the helper springs that's the same as a GTS.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:15 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Amazing performance for a manual. For any manual GTS owners, can you share how high your car can rev when stopped in neutral? The 3500 RPM limit for my S does not seem like a high enough RPM to get a good clean launch. My car is tuned now so it's a moot point but just curious if Porsche increased the stationary rev limiter given that the C&D article talks about the GTS's "brilliant launch programming". Doe a GTS manual even have an actual launch control or launch programming mode?
It shouldn’t really matter because the best way to launch is not dumping the clutch. Once you begin to move and release the clutch the engine will rev to redline. The limiter does not keep the rpm at 3500 once you begin the launch.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:32 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Dont do it !! This isn't a Macan or Panamera . Its a near Gt level type of 911 .
Flash992 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 04:42 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,360 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
It'd be a shame to revert a GTS to the non-sports setup. Roads here in SoCal aren't very smooth either, you do get used to the stiffer SPASM setup that's standard in the GTS. And you can run the tire pressures in what they call 'comfort' setup which does make a difference.

Maybe try and find an S with SPASM, apart from the helper springs that's the same as a GTS.
From what I gather, the turbo S-PASM, on which the GTS’s is based on, is more stiffly sprung than the Carrera-S S-PASM, hence the need for helper springs.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:54 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

The suspension is fantastic in this car.

Feels exactly like my 2018 GT3 did. Although it is equally stiff it does though eat up the bumps a little better. I would never call this set-up harsh but more firm and sporty. It is actually very amazing.

If you want a cushy drive by like an SUV with air suspension
chance6 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:02 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,364 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Dont do it !! This isn't a Macan or Panamera . Its a near Gt level type of 911 .
Click on that PDCC option (that almost no one orders) and the ride will smooth ride out over lousy roads. I have it on mine, would not buy another 911 without it.

The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
CanAutM3 (07-14-2022), StuM (12-20-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:14 PM
davitd
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the reply. I am not after cushy ride and am totally fine with 991gt3 level comfort. Just got caught with the article that called the ride brutal. I would not call gt3 ride brutal, btw it rides way better than those cushy SUV-s in my opinion.

Will stick with the initial choise, keep sport PASM and play with tyre pressure.

aggie57 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:25 PM
GTS524
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 62 Posts

the Targa GTS variant offers a softer suspension set up than the coupe and in Comfort mode is very compliant. In Sport Plus it firms up nicely but still far from "brutal". I spec'd mine with the seven speed manual and wouldn't have it any other way!!
Albechow (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:48 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS524
the Targa GTS variant offers a softer suspension set up than the coupe and in Comfort mode is very compliant. In Sport Plus it firms up nicely but still far from "brutal". I spec'd mine with the seven speed manual and wouldn't have it any other way!!
Meanwhile I’m patiently waiting for mine!
Fingers crossed it’ll get built soon!
Old 07-13-2022, 06:34 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,053 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Thanks all for the reply. I am not after cushy ride and am totally fine with 991gt3 level comfort. Just got caught with the article that called the ride brutal. I would not call gt3 ride brutal, btw it rides way better than those cushy SUV-s in my opinion.

Will stick with the initial choise, keep sport PASM and play with tyre pressure.
The rude in a BMW M4 GTS is brutal. The ride in a 992 911 GTS in any configuration is a breeze.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (07-14-2022), detansinn (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:19 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The rude in a BMW M4 GTS is brutal. The ride in a 992 911 GTS in any configuration is a breeze.
Well, not to the boys and girls @ Car and driver...of course, a GTS deserves the sport suspension for the full experience IMO.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:28 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

I don’t understand anyone when the say the GTS suspension is brutal. It’s a smooth cruiser in comfort setting with comfort pressures.

I bet they had tire pressures at 50psi like most.
AlexCeres (07-14-2022)

Quick Reply: [Car and Driver] Tested: 2022 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Manual Embraces Its Niche