Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speculating On 992.2 Carrera Major Changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:10 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,319 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Speculation from inside my head: When the Carrera T came out in the 991.2 gen, it was said that part of the reason was a way to get rid of the last narrow body shells before the 992 gen came out. I'm wondering if Porsche bringing the T out this time during the first gen has something to do with the bodyshells again. Perhaps the front tub doesn't mesh well with their hybrid layout and so bring in the T!
Old 10-28-2022, 12:28 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Speculation from inside my head: When the Carrera T came out in the 991.2 gen, it was said that part of the reason was a way to get rid of the last narrow body shells before the 992 gen came out. I'm wondering if Porsche bringing the T out this time during the first gen has something to do with the bodyshells again. Perhaps the front tub doesn't mesh well with their hybrid layout and so bring in the T!
I wouldn't think so... they don't seem to be having any issues selling allocations yet, so I doubt there is an excess supply of body shells that they need to liquidate.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:33 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
I mean... in the INITIAL press release for the 992 they made a big deal about the transmission being pre-built bigger to house hybrid infrastructure... so I don't think its a stretch to think we'll see something hybriddy in the 992 generation.

Otherwise digital cluster. Initially people will miss the physical tach... but honestly I think over time digital cluster will be preferable

From spy pics looks like shiny black plastic and shavershifter are surviving.

Obviously some updates to bumpers

Updated engine cover which I think will be good/needed

and more money.
I’m buying a CPO 992.1 just in case my allocation doesn’t come in before the .2s full digital dash. I much prefer the central tach. Crazy, maybe? But these are emotional purchases and we all like different things. I’m sure the digital dash will be super cool, but it isn’t my thing.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:38 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts

While the Car magazine article was talked about in another post. There were some key details skipped though!

Here is the Car magazine article: https://apple.news/AG2wAj6R-SNiyqQCJbHl9DA

My summary in focusing on just the upcoming 992.2 Carrera models:
  • The 992.2 should expect up to a 30% increase in production capacity – up from the current 40,000 a year.. "...from November onwards delivery times are set to come down.."
  • The technical summary is that, for the 992.2 Carreras: "...a bigger displacement, more potent turbochargers and multi-tier hybridisation."
  • The current 3.0L engine will get bored out to 3.6L, still turbo but mild-hybridized.
    • Engine code: 9A3 Evo
    • Base engine output increased to 406hp, 347 lb ft.
    • S engine output increased to 460hp, 405 lb ft.
    • GTS increased to 490hp, 413 lb ft.
    • rev limiter possibly down to down to 6,800 RPM.
    • Possibly as large as a 10.8KWh 48-Volt battery + e-motor located under rear seats. Some Carrera models may get smaller battery packs. Turbo + will likely get the biggest.
    • Unconfirmed if it will have a KERS.
  • I get the jist that manuals will still be offered.
  • Panels will largely go unchanged and exterior changes will be limited to headlights, exterior plastic trim and front coolers. "...cleaning up the front and rear by reducing the number of ungainly black plastic inserts, freshening the four-dot matrix headlights and honing the aerodynamic performance"
  • Too many people complained about the obstructed dials so "...the prominent tacho – is about to be replaced by a fully integrated digital item ...cleaned up the centre stack and introduced the latest Porsche cockpit tech; check out the 2024 model-year Cayenne for reference."
  • "...an available lightweight Clubsport package could replace the half-hearted Carrera T model"
  • "...there is talk of a widebody option for the GTS"
  • "...the Targa may reappear in less luxurious and more emotional form"

Most of this is pretty tame, perhaps with the exception of the hybridization. No talk of a NA motor in the Carrera models though! I guess those rumors were not true?

I also think that increasing production makes sense and help the 911 still be a non-exclusive car, one that with the magical powers of depreciation anyone can afford!

As a 992.1 T model owner I think the fact that the T will be available as a package is great news!

Pretty conservative changes imo overall....

Last edited by A Nonce; 06-23-2023 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cwbrown (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 02:25 PM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty conservative changes imo overall....
Funny - I thought the complete opposite. These are major changes - it should be called the 993. These should fix a lot, if not all, the issues with the 992.
A Nonce (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 02:39 PM
JoeyBagadonuts
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche is in an interesting position. You have this company that values tradition but also being a leader and moving into the future. They have their flagship product, the 911, whose customer base is largely not big fans of change. Then there are Taycans, electric 718s and Macans, products aimed to lead Porsche into the electric future. Yet I don't think they are going to let any of these products outperform the 911. So you have to somehow keep the internal combustion (or at least mostly internal combustion) sportscar at the top of your performance heap while keeping your electric lineup competitive with new offerings from Lucid, Mercedes, BMW, and all the others. And also keep it better performing than your own 1,000 hp upcoming electric 718. Very curious to see how this is all going to play out over the next 5-10 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeyBagadonuts:
A Nonce (06-23-2023), Tedster (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 02:40 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Originally Posted by Surge74
Funny - I thought the complete opposite. These are major changes - it should be called the 993. These should fix a lot, if not all, the issues with the 992.
Hm... Perhaps you are right. Though the major thing is the hybridization, imo. Which, as far as I understand it, was already engineered in when they did the 992.1.

So i guess from an engineering perspective this work was already done so no big deal. But from a product perspective, possibly a huge deal!
Old 06-23-2023, 02:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

No doubt there will be new drivetrains with the 992.2. It's Porsche's pattern to introduce new drivetrains with the facelift 911, and spy shots confirm it.

Unlikely to go above 3.0, as China and other countries tax significantly above that displacement.

We know the gauges will be all digital. See the 2024 Cayenne for other UI changes.

Originally Posted by R N M
Mild-hybrid powertrain is probably also coming as BMW and MB have put these systems in almost every car now. Just more complexity for little gain.
If the system eliminates one of the turbos and associated plumbing along with the accessory drives, as MB has done, a 'mild hybrid' doesn't increase complexity and is potentially a wash in terms of weight. Benefits are near-seamless start/stop and no turbo lag, along with 1-2 MPG and reduced emissions. Win/win. IMO it is further advancement of the ICE, and using 'hybrid' in the name is a disservice to the technology and benefits. I can't stand actual hybrids, but am a big fan of the (relatively) new MB I-6 with this tech.

Actual hybrid 911s are coming as well, likely with one electric motor for AWD models to eliminate the front drivetrain, and multiple motors for higher performing models.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
A Nonce (06-23-2023), Tompoodie (07-01-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 02:56 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
... it should be called the 993 ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_993
Old 06-23-2023, 02:59 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

^ They just might call it the 993. This is the same company that put a Turbo badge on an electric car.

993.2?
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
A Nonce (06-23-2023), bwhale (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:06 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Unlikely to go above 3.0, as China and other countries tax significantly above that displacement.
I disagree.

They have to increase it to 3.6L apparently due to Euro7 specs (as discussed in the article) because if they don't they will not be able to physically sell 911s in Europe. Period.

At least in China they will still be able to sell 911s even if they don't sit under the 3.0L lower-tax cutoff.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

We know the gauges will be all digital. See the 2024 Cayenne for other UI changes.
Biggest question for me regarding the interior: Do you think the Passanger Display will be also available for the 911 range? Could be cool if they do something similar with what Ferrari does...
Attached Images  

Last edited by A Nonce; 06-23-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:25 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
I mean... in the INITIAL press release for the 992 they made a big deal about the transmission being pre-built bigger to house hybrid infrastructure... so I don't think its a stretch to think we'll see something hybriddy in the 992 generation.
My understanding of hybrid is so-so (basically just what I read from media and press releases), but it seems that non-plug-in hybrid tech in nearly all cars is housed at the engine. So why did Porsche have to alter the transmission tunnel? Is it possible to co-locate the battery in the transmission? And given they are very different transmissions, would both PDK and manual be receiving this change?

Manual is already an anachronistic car for enthusiasts, I don't really see the point of putting a hybrid on it. I can see the argument of hybrid on PDK/auto, where you get your track rats who want performance or your boulevardiers who want a smoother drive.
A Nonce (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:36 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Originally Posted by bwhale
And given they are very different transmissions, would both PDK and manual be receiving this change?
🤔 I think thats a very good question! My bet is on is slightly biased towards yes due to why Porsche invested in engineering a new manual transmission shift actuator for the 992.1 generation:

...The starting point for the new no-cost option seven-speed is the 991.2’s PDK automatic, which Porsche has converted for manual control. It’s had something called ‘MECOSA’ (mechanically converted shift actuator)
- CarThrottle

Though I am not sure how that would work in practice. Perhaps the 992.2 models with the e-motor won't be available with a manual?

Though that would mean that if all Carrera models get an e-motor then a manual will not be available?! Carreras losing the manual option would be a huge blow! That would mean that you'd have to step up to a GT3 to get a manual in a 992.2. That would be hugely disappointing and Porsche would lose on a lot of sales hence why I don't think that would happen (Porsche loves money 💰!).

Last edited by A Nonce; 06-23-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A Nonce
I disagree.

They have to increase it to 3.6L apparently due to Euro7 specs (as discussed in the article) because if they don't they will not be able to physically sell 911s in Europe. Period.
Let's be clear that the article had no actual facts, just thoughts and opinions, and there are more than a few items that make no sense. Stifling an emerging market is one of them.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:11 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Chinese buyers of this car can afford to pay the tax on the 3.6L engine if it comes to that - its sold to China's wealthy elites.
A Nonce (06-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Speculating On 992.2 Carrera Major Changes