Sponsored by:

Targa 4S: which color to get?! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 11:11 PM
Vader1287
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader1287
I just got a call from my local dealership about a Targa that I put in for late in 2021. I have a few weeks before the lock and I’m torn.

I know there’s been many conversations around color but I’m curious thoughts on a 4S.

I’ve been debating on black vs chalk vs aventurine.

I’ve always wanted chalk but I hear a lot of thoughts on how it doesn’t showcase the car well enough. Black is timeless and classic but will be tough to keep clean. Aventurine is the dark horse in this convo as it looks extremely sleek.

I’m planning to make this a forever car but you never know. I’m seeing a lot of differing material and data regarding greens in the resale market and that’s what is potentially holding me back from purchasing.

Any thoughts?

visuals below.
Coming here for input has actually been very helpful so I appreciate the insights.

Here is what my build looks like: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN9LHJW2

I've reached out to the local dealerships here to see if they have Aventurine in person to review. I've watched at least two dozen videos on YouTube today to get a better understanding of the color.

Only outstanding Q's:
- Wheels in Satin Black while most other features in high gloss and matte. I didn;t like the high gloss on the SportDesign package. Anyone else have an opinion on the multiple blacks accents?

I am trying to keep under 170 but a little tough! I feel pretty good with the Sport Package but anything else anyone swears by? At the end of the day, I don't want to not spend another 2-5k if it means ensuring this car has everything I'd ever need.

A couple of thoughts:
- Silver targa bar gives the car a nice contrast
- I do like black wheels. Switched to Spyder.
- Design Taillights & Rear Lid Grille Vertical Slat Inlays in High Gloss Black to remove the red and give more black contrast
- Calipers in black are the only option with Aventurine imo.
- Feels like black interior is the safest way to go. Was considering chalk stitching but feels unnecessary
- While I do love the Chalk, it looks best on the Carrera IMO.
- Black looks great when it is clean but I won't spend the necessary time cleaning it.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:29 PM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Great looking build, but have you considered the Truffle Brown leather interior -- in the pics/videos I've seen, really dresses up the interior. AG was my second color choice and would have spec'd the Truffle Brown in the 930 Leather Package. My top choice is Dolomite Silver with a silver Targa bar like yours but a blue top and a Graphite Blue interior, with the blue complements designed to pull out the blue hue in the Dolomite. Also, I don't recall if you spec'd the Porsche crests on the front headrests, but as this is a 911 and a Targa to boot, may want to consider adding this relatively cheap flair that certainly will be visible when driving in the open air. Congratulations, and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 PM
Vader1287
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Good call out! I definitely considered the Truffle because it is beautiful. I watched a number of videos with that setup.

That said, I felt it looked best with the top down.

With the black top and truffle interior, I thought the car was searching a bit for complimentary colors. I am only considering the black targa roof.

I wasn't sure if the decal in the headrest was too much.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:52 PM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Like you, I don't normally advertise my cars -- currently have a 2021 Cayenne Coupe GTS and stripped it of all Porsche monikers but the model designation on the back. Will do the same with my Targa 4 GTS, but my terrific SA convinced me that the Targas are something special and that the simple Porsche crests on the headrests are one of the top 5 most requested options on these -- thought this emblem not over the top but just Goldilocks right
Vader1287 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:52 PM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I have the Chalk and I love it. Like AG, it does change a bit in the light from almost white to much darker. I have to admit that my color choice was a bit "inverse" for me. I know I wanted an interior color with more character and really like the Bordeaux/Black. Once I made that choice, the only external colors that went well with it (and that I liked) were Chalk and Agate and (maybe) silver. My last 5 cars were all either silver or very similar to Agate and I wanted to force myself into something new.

Color is a very personal choice. None of the 911 colors are "bad" in my opinion. While I might not have stated it the same way, I do agree with Ipse Dixit's sentiment. If you are indecisive, you are not likely to remedy that by asking us. It will likely only make it worse.
my thoughts were similar. Bordeau/black interior was highest priority. Then exterior color is somewhat limited. Don't like black and silver seems boring to me. Went with white metallic. I wanted something bright and think white does the trick. Did not want red or yellow....too much attention.

Went with Turbo S wheels. Most expensive but they are gorgeous on the Targa. My targa arrives in August. Silver targa bar.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:03 AM
Aussman
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go shark blue
Old 05-14-2022, 02:45 AM
Rainer K.
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 32 Posts

Chalk or carrera white
Old 05-14-2022, 06:42 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

That car in any color is awesome, so congrats. However, in my view, chalk, black or AG basically is white, black, and grey which is just about what you’ll see on all the cars and SUVs parked in a typical shopping center parking lot. Why not go with something with a bit more flair like a light or dark blue, red, or a real green that looks green and not grey?
Old 05-14-2022, 07:20 AM
Miki997.2
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-14-2022, 08:22 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader1287
Coming here for input has actually been very helpful so I appreciate the insights.

I've reached out to the local dealerships here to see if they have Aventurine in person to review. I've watched at least two dozen videos on YouTube today to get a better understanding of the color.
Contact your local PCA chapter if you can't find a car at the dealer to look at. Surely someone in your area has a car in this color.

Only outstanding Q's:

A couple of thoughts:
- Feels like black interior is the safest way to go. Was considering chalk stitching but feels unnecessary
Truffle works very well with AG and a black soft top, IMO.
- Black looks great when it is clean but I won't spend the necessary time cleaning it.
Full PPF makes caring for a black car much easier, but having had both, I now much prefer the Aventurine Green for the 992. Personal taste of course.
Nice build. Not sure you need power steering plus or the painted silver fuel cap. Depending on where you live, maybe consider FAL with Sport Design package? Wheels are a personal choice but it irks me to pay extra for cast wheels. I liked the Classic look but went with Turbo wheels to get forged wheels.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:53 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

The chalk will show off the SportDesign package the best. The black would look awesome, but the SportDesign package would not be as noticeable. I had Aventurine Green on my 992 C2S and have pushed it down on my list.

I was hot to design one with the black Targa bar, but the silver bar is so classic. I hadn’t considered it, but my SA said he would love to see somebody build a guards red Targa with silver rims and bar. It’s on my list.

I also considered doing gray like this one. The SportDesign package makes no sense to me on dark colors.

I have really enjoyed Shark Blue on my Boxster GTS 4.0, so this is in the running, too.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-14-2022, 09:15 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Why not go with something with a bit more flair like a light or dark blue, red, or a real green that looks green and not grey?
A primary reason would be that, out of those colors, only red (and maybe light blue if you consider Shark Blue to be light blue) is an available choice unless you want to go PTS. One drawback of PTS is the cost and the second is availability. PTS slots are harder to come by and (apparently) unavailable for the remainder of MY22.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:17 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/po...on-992-models/

If i wouldn't been approved for pts i was going to copy this car in chalk ( or maybe gt silver) w exclusive wheels in sat platinum..as the hoop is more satin than silver

I believe the targa needs a bit of retro look

I have sport design and no fal..have had mo need for it. Mu taycan scrapes more than targa does
Old 05-14-2022, 10:35 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 933 Posts

AG is great color in person. I'm a fan of rear steering at well.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-14-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:13 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
A primary reason would be that, out of those colors, only red (and maybe light blue if you consider Shark Blue to be light blue) is an available choice unless you want to go PTS. One drawback of PTS is the cost and the second is availability. PTS slots are harder to come by and (apparently) unavailable for the remainder of MY22.
How about Gentian Blue though? Isn’t that still available? I’m biased though, as I’m a sucker for blue and tan…

Last edited by Carreralicious; 05-14-2022 at 02:16 PM.
doug_999 (05-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Targa 4S: which color to get?! Help!