Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Classic or GT3 Touring...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 02:35 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I also don't see owning a car I don't drive. I don't have space for a car museum at my place.

Someone should create an asset-backed security comprised of porsche collectable models. That I'd prob invest in.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:05 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Not to be glib, but if it did, so what?

The TTS basically drives like the C2S, except it's faster but heavier. Oh, all four wheels power the car.

My point is that the SC is not a child of the GT department. The Touring is.
I disagree with this, but that's for another thread.

Agree, though re: the SC - it's not designed by the GT dept, so performance at the limits won't touch a GT3.

Of course, Porsche may have something up their sleeve to elevate the experience, who knows. I'll be interested to read some reviews.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:31 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I disagree with this, but that's for another thread.

Agree, though re: the SC - it's not designed by the GT dept, so performance at the limits won't touch a GT3.

Of course, Porsche may have something up their sleeve to elevate the experience, who knows. I'll be interested to read some reviews.
I think you touched on it right there. The experience. This is a semi-retro car, essentially a bit of a parts bin in a way, that has appeal, is limited, and is about the experience. Look at the interior. It screams experience. It only lacks a Blaupunkt radio w tape deck to date it further.
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 03:43 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I think you touched on it right there. The experience. This is a semi-retro car, essentially a bit of a parts bin in a way, that has appeal, is limited, and is about the experience. Look at the interior. It screams experience. It only lacks a Blaupunkt radio w tape deck to date it further.
That's true. I already have a sensory overload car and I just got a daily driver/track car as well, so I have those boxes ticked. This would be completely different.

All moot, of course, if I can't get an allocation (probably won't) or it ends up having some monster MSRP (probably will).
Old 05-06-2022, 03:49 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

That's true. I already have a sensory overload car and I just got a daily driver/track car as well, so I have those boxes ticked. This would be completely different.

All moot, of course, if I can't get an allocation (probably won't) or it ends up having some monster MSRP (probably will).
Based on the UK MSRP of 209k British Pounds, that puts the US equivalent at approximately $259k. You can't go wild with options, as there simply aren't many at all. Yet in making it "classic" they made homelink and comfort access add-ons. relatively inexpensive add-ons, but add-ons. If you tick every option that has a price (most of them are $0.00), the total options adds $12k, bringing it to $271k or so total MSRP.

That's before the Sport Classic ADM. I don't imagine unless you have a significant relationship with a dealer you are getting one for sub $300-350k, and most would guess you need that relationship to get one period, not to avoid any ADM.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:53 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Based on the UK MSRP of 209k British Pounds, that puts the US equivalent at approximately $259k. You can't go wild with options, as there simply aren't many at all. Yet in making it "classic" they made homelink and comfort access add-ons. relatively inexpensive add-ons, but add-ons. If you tick every option that has a price (most of them are $0.00), the total options adds $12k, bringing it to $271k or so total MSRP.

That's before the Sport Classic ADM. I don't imagine unless you have a significant relationship with a dealer you are getting one for sub $300-350k, and most would guess you need that relationship to get one period, not to avoid any ADM.
Optioned up, I'm hearing ~$280k to well over $300k

It's normally very hard to justify a $300k 911 - it stops making sense, except for the fact that this one is sure to appreciate (at least double) in value.

No one is getting an SC without a strong dealer relationship. Same deal with OTD pricing.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:58 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

It's normally very hard to justify a $300k 911 - it stops making sense, except for the fact that this one is sure to appreciate (at least double) in value.

No one is getting an SC without a strong dealer relationship. Same deal with OTD pricing.
I just went on the Porsche site, switched to Europe - Great Britain, which has the SC configurator loaded, optioned it out and converted the base price and loaded price to USD. Rough, but an idea. Of course that is website, not real world pricing.

Oddly enough the SC on the Great Britain configurator is shown as a Left Hand drive.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...start%2fall%2f
Old 05-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Not a huge fan of the ducktail, but the chance to have a Turbo manual makes the Sport Classic extremely compelling and such a unicorn its future value is way off the charts. But if I had the option for anything I wanted, while the GT3, Sport Classic, etc. are all alluring, I would probably go for a very highly optioned C2S to replace mine, and a Taycan 4S or Turbo S.
From a driving aspect, what makes the SC more special than a manual GTS? Both are turbo cars and both can be had with manuals. Both are not as sporty as the Touring, and the only thing that sets them apart is about 70 hp or so. Yes, it has the TT engine, but that's about it. It's a detuned Turbo with a manual and some body mods. I was offered an allocation and turned it down. Fun fact. At my dealer, the SC isn't exactly flying out the door. They seem to be struggling to unload them the same way McLaren cannot unload the Elva. If it had a 70k Euro lower base price, sure, why not, but that's way too much for a 992 with a bit of bodywork. It doesn't even have the new double wishbone front suspension.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:09 PM
Il CP
Pro

I just went on the Porsche site, switched to Europe - Great Britain, which has the SC configurator loaded, optioned it out and converted the base price and loaded price to USD. Rough, but an idea. Of course that is website, not real world pricing.

Oddly enough the SC on the Great Britain configurator is shown as a Left Hand drive.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do...start%2fall%2f
Will it actually be offered in an RHD variant?
Old 05-06-2022, 06:09 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
From a driving aspect, what makes the SC more special than a manual GTS? Both are turbo cars and both can be had with manuals. Both are not as sporty as the Touring, and the only thing that sets them apart is about 70 hp or so. Yes, it has the TT engine, but that's about it. It's a detuned Turbo with a manual and some body mods. I was offered an allocation and turned it down. Fun fact. At my dealer, the SC isn't exactly flying out the door. They seem to be struggling to unload them the same way McLaren cannot unload the Elva. If it had a 70k Euro lower base price, sure, why not, but that's way too much for a 992 with a bit of bodywork. It doesn't even have the new double wishbone front suspension.
Oh wow - that's interesting. I assumed they were all sold out by now. Were they asking for an ADM?

The Elva is sort of a mess; IDK who would buy it other than saudi princes and people that have their own race tracks? Seems rather poorly thought out.

Last edited by dhirm5; 05-06-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:23 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Oh wow - that's interesting. I assumed they were all sold out by now. Were they asking for an ADM?

The Elva is sort of a mess; IDK who would buy it other than saudi princes and people that have their own race tracks? Seems rather poorly thought out.
I would be curious to know where he lives. The SC is framed very differently at/by the dealerships near me. There haven’t been any allocations “turned down.”

For reference….

​​​​​​….of the 10 closest dealerships to me, all have waiting lists for the SC and IF the dealership(s) receives an allocation (…they are expecting 400-500 units total to come stateside), expected price with ADM is about $500k. That is the figure that just about every dealer told me to expect. That is the figure those on the waiting lists are willing to accept. I have no doubt that every single unit will sell.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-06-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:26 PM
Il CP
Pro

Not sure how that price can be right. Base price here in Europe is 276k Euro. I did a config at my dealer just to see what the end price would be, and it landed at 292k Euro.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Do we truly know the details about the SC though?!? Or did I miss it?!! Could it have the TT/S’ underpinnings considering the GTS borrows from the Turbo?
Yes, it is based off of the Turbo chassis, not the GT chassis. The underpinnings is just a turbo, and the gearbox is the same 7 speed you find in a GTS.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:42 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Il CP
Not sure how that price can be right. Base price here in Europe is 276k Euro. I did a config at my dealer just to see what the end price would be, and it landed at 292k Euro.
That's the word I have, but it's all rumor until the configurator is up and running.

The 997 SC was not particularly impressive, spec wise. Of course they only made 250 of those and didn't sell them in the US.

I suspect the 992SC will appreciate nicely, though not like the 997.

I don't think the SC is worth buying with these dumb ADMs. At sticker, I think it's an interesting option in the $280k range, if those numbers ended up correct.

It's all theoretical anyway. Europe may be uninterested, but I suspect these things will be pretty sought after in the US. There aren't many safe investments nowadays.
96redLT4 (05-07-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 07:45 PM
Il CP
Pro

That's the word I have, but it's all rumor until the configurator is up and running.

The 997 SC was not particularly impressive, spec wise. Of course they only made 250 of those and didn't sell them in the US.

I suspect the 992SC will appreciate nicely, though not like the 997.

I don't think the SC is worth buying with these dumb ADMs. At sticker, I think it's an interesting option in the $280k range, if those numbers ended up correct.

It's all theoretical anyway. Europe may be uninterested, but I suspect these things will be pretty sought after in the US. There aren't many safe investments nowadays.
The price I quoted is MSRP here in Europe, no ADM. The price was that quoted by the configurator at the dealer. Way too steep for what it is. About 100k over a GT Touring. It might be popular in the US seeing that people there are willing to pay way over etc. but so far my dealer has been turned down by the clients that were asked, including me. People just seem put off by paying that much for what is essentially just a detuned Turbo with a manual.

Last edited by Il CP; 05-06-2022 at 07:48 PM.
dhirm5 (05-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Sport Classic or GT3 Touring...