Tyre Replacement Query

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 09:38 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tyre Replacement Query

Hi,

I dropped my car off at the OPC to get some warranty work carried out yesterday and just been informed I need to replace 2 rear wheels.

Tyres are not even 6 months old and have plenty of tread.

My question is, do you think these warrant a replacement? The damage to me look minimal and the car is not used on tracks, just normal everyday driving.

Last edited by LARNIOCNK; 05-05-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:50 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Shows cut to cord. If true are you willing to risk a blowout at any speed?
Old 05-05-2022, 10:08 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Shows cut to cord. If true are you willing to risk a blowout at any speed?
Never experienced a ‘cut to cord’ before in a tyre in all my years of driving, a nail, yes, but not a cut, I would’ve thought a nail in a tyre is the same as that would cut the cord in a tyre?

To me the damage looks extremely minimal to dispose of a tyre with plenty of tread, but now that you mention there’s a risk of a blow out, may as well cough up the money and replace it…

Annoying, it’s on the both inside tyre so no idea how that happened.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:10 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

I believe Porsche's policy is never to recommend repair to a tire and only replace. If you were taking the car to the track or driving very hard often then I would agree that they should be replaced.

In those pictures the puncture in the lower photo looks to be pretty close to the shoulder (edge) of the tire and I'd be hesitant to plug/patch that as flex in the tire there could be problematic. The upper one looks squarely in the meat of the tread. It would *probably* be ok to plug or (ideally) patch/plug that one if you aren't driving at high speeds or cornering loads.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:00 AM
RaulBaca
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

If what they’re saying is true, i.e. both tyres have cuts that go down to the cords, then if it was me I’d be replacing them.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:54 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Just curious on where you are driving to get that much damage. They look like they should have lost air already. I would get those changed and really alter your driving route going forward.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:08 PM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Just curious on where you are driving to get that much damage. They look like they should have lost air already. I would get those changed and really alter your driving route going forward.
I literally have no idea… this is normal roads around London, not country lanes, narrow roads or industrial places, just everyday driving roads…

They haven’t lost any air at all funnily enough. The tyre pressure has been fine throughout.
The following users liked this post:
Autobacs (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:36 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

I’m not sure about that! Out of interest, which dealer?

I’ll have a look at the tyres on mine tomorrow, see if they look similar. Mainly I drive up and down the A12 and to the shops with the odd back road blast, but have some nasty road humps that have fallen apart on the sides on my way too and from home, I’d expect similar from them.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:05 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Originally Posted by LARNIOCNK
I literally have no idea… this is normal roads around London, not country lanes, narrow roads or industrial places, just everyday driving roads…

They haven’t lost any air at all funnily enough. The tyre pressure has been fine throughout.
Tyres will hold air unless the liner itself is penetrated, or the bead seal is broken. Least that's my experience; I remember one endurance event when we were limited to 6 tyres. Most of them were down to the belts by the end but they still held air, not much good at keeping the car on the road though.

Quick Reply: Tyre Replacement Query