Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 12:07 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 30 Days From Lock - Change My Mind

PNSUTHL8
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSUTHL8

I'm roughly 30 days from lock. Getting this car at MSRP, been waiting since September 2021 and it's my first Porsche. I think I'm fairly set on the options. But I'm willing to consider a couple changes and highly considering the PEC ATL delivery experience.

You guys know what to do!
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (05-13-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Flash992
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminyGl!ck
PNSUTHL8

I'm roughly 30 days from lock. Getting this car at MSRP, been waiting since September 2021 and it's my first Porsche. I think I'm fairly set on the options. But I'm willing to consider a couple changes and highly considering the PEC ATL delivery experience.

I think it is a sensible build. I chose the 18 way seats instead of the 14 ways, having tried both. I am glad that I did. I recently completed a 4 hour trip with one intermediate stop and i can attest to their support in all the right places.
JiminyGl!ck (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:40 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm with you in going the base model, with relatively low-option approach.
I don't know where you live, but personally I'd go with the standard wheels rather than the S wheels. I think you'd get a slightly better ride and more resistance to rim damage on potholes, etc. due to slightly taller tire profile. 19 and 20 inch wheels are still pretty big.
I haven't tried the 18-way seats, but I'd imagine they'd be slightly more confining around the shoulders. We have the 14-way and find them very comfortable.
I would think long about whether you really need or want the sport chrono mode.
We bought an S because I wanted a manual transmission, and it came with Chrono. I don't find myself using it much, and I would never use launch control. It's a nice gimmick for YouTube videos.
Would it make more sense to get the Premium package rather than getting Bose separately etc.?

The following 2 users liked this post by garthg:
JiminyGl!ck (05-04-2022), Scott P (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:47 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

PNSUTHL8

Nice build - you added the two feature that matter to me a on a new build (Sport Chrono and Leather). I would want to add the sport suspension and performance exhaust next vs paying for the upgraded wheels, but both can be handled aftermarket when the time comes (so do wheels).
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
JiminyGl!ck (05-04-2022), Scott P (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 12:52 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Any Guards Red 911 is a great addition - I am biased, of course!

If you decide to spring for full leather w/ deviated stitching then I would go with stitching in GR. Looks great!

I also have 14-way seats and find them very comfortable.

The following 2 users liked this post by German1967:
JiminyGl!ck (05-04-2022), Tobeit (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 01:20 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Nice spec. I initially had the Turbo wheels but I will say there are very close to the Turbo wheels on our Macan S from 2015 and that Porsche has had this wheel or a variant very close to it available for the Taycan, Macan, Cayman/Boxster, and 911 for some time, and that it is very popular on the SUVs. It is also a bit for me on the lux side and not that sporty. personally I changed to the Classics and am very happy with them. That would be my recommendation. And it will save you $1500.

My only other input is the interior. The slate is lighter I think than the config, look at some pics. I went black w chalk stitching b/c I didn't like a lighter wheel color and wanted a black steering wheel.
JiminyGl!ck (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 01:52 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Originally Posted by garthg
I don't know where you live, but personally I'd go with the standard wheels rather than the S wheels. I think you'd get a slightly better ride and more resistance to rim damage on potholes, etc. due to slightly taller tire profile. 19 and 20 inch wheels are still pretty big.
I haven't tried the 18-way seats, but I'd imagine they'd be slightly more confining around the shoulders. We have the 14-way and find them very comfortable.
We bought an S because I wanted a manual transmission, and it came with Chrono. I don't find myself using it much, and I would never use launch control. It's a nice gimmick for YouTube videos.
Would it make more sense to get the Premium package rather than getting Bose separately etc.?
Launch control at PECLA is what pushed me over the edge to get one of these things I live in an area that has a lot of empty highways and interstates. Believe me, I will be using the launch control
Kurac (05-05-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 01:54 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Nice spec. I initially had the Turbo wheels but I will say there are very close to the Turbo wheels on our Macan S from 2015 and that Porsche has had this wheel or a variant very close to it available for the Taycan, Macan, Cayman/Boxster, and 911 for some time, and that it is very popular on the SUVs. It is also a bit for me on the lux side and not that sporty. personally I changed to the Classics and am very happy with them. That would be my recommendation. And it will save you $1500.

My only other input is the interior. The slate is lighter I think than the config, look at some pics. I went black w chalk stitching b/c I didn't like a lighter wheel color and wanted a black steering wheel.
There is certainly something to be said for black interior in this car. But I went to the little design studio at the Porsche dealership and Slate with GR just looks really, really good. That's not to pooh-pooh black, far from it, I just like being a little different in choosing slate since its not an interior you see very often.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:58 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Originally Posted by German1967
Any Guards Red 911 is a great addition - I am biased, of course!

If you decide to spring for full leather w/ deviated stitching then I would go with stitching in GR. Looks great!

I also have 14-way seats and find them very comfortable.

Geez that looks nice, kudos to you on the build. I'm going to go back and see how that change looks in the builder, you are making a good case for the GR stitching. I thought Chalk would add a nice little contrast - I don't want the car to be too red - but I definitely like the pic you posted.

Also, I'm with you, I don't understand the people that get white or silver or black. What is the point of a luxury car if you can't have a little "whimsy" with the color??? Guards Red was the ONLY color I ever seriously considered for this (yellow was a distant second).
German1967 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:45 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Geez that looks nice, kudos to you on the build. I'm going to go back and see how that change looks in the builder, you are making a good case for the GR stitching. I thought Chalk would add a nice little contrast - I don't want the car to be too red - but I definitely like the pic you posted.

Also, I'm with you, I don't understand the people that get white or silver or black. What is the point of a luxury car if you can't have a little "whimsy" with the color??? Guards Red was the ONLY color I ever seriously considered for this (yellow was a distant second).
You won't be able to. For MY 2020 and MY 2021 the Configurator wouldn't show deviated stitching or seat centers but had an alternative 360 mode that when you turned it on, you would see the full correct interior.

For MY 2022 the Configurator lost that mode, and none of the personalized deviated options show up in the Configurator online. You can choose the Exclusive Manufaktur and a color and that will work, but if you add any other deviations, it won't. Unfortunate, as you can't get into the details. I tried putting in a Excl. Man. in Black w/ Chalk and then adding the Red Deviated Stitching and Red Belts. Only the Red Belts show up. None of the deviated does.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

1. PECATL was terrific. Our complimentary lunch for two would have been about $140 with tip and then there's the 90 minute track time plus a bunch of swag. We really enjoyed it. They do a really nice job with the entire 1/2 day.
2. The 18 ways seem much nicer than the 18s in the 991s. We had a 9 hour drive with two stops for gas and my son commented on how comfortable the seats were (he has a Cayenne with 14s). They are more, but I've had both and always order 18s now (very personal preference).
3. The Turbo wheels are forged, not cast, but that's a pretty big % of your options total. You can always change wheels; options not so much. Therefore:
4. If you give on the wheels (assuming you want to stay close to your MSRP), that gets you the Premium package which adds PDLS, power folding mirrors (a must for me), vent seats (another must), surround view (works very well so far) and ambient lighting (meh, but OK) to your BOSE and LCA.
5. After driving the PDK C4S cab at PECATL and trying launch control, you definitely want SC on a PDK car.
6. Most everything else is fluff (colored belts, stitching, dials, etc.) - fun to play with if budget no concern, but doesn't add anything to the drive experience really.

Last edited by Keadog; 05-04-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

Oh, and lots of builds lock before the stated date; several of mine have.
Fullyield (05-06-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 07:03 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
1. PECATL was terrific. Our complimentary lunch for two would have been about $140 with tip and then there's the 90 minute track time plus a bunch of swag. We really enjoyed it. They do a really nice job with the entire 1/2 day.
2. The 18 ways seem much nicer than the 18s in the 991s. We had a 9 hour drive with two stops for gas and my son commented on how comfortable the seats were (he has a Cayenne with 14s). They are more, but I've had both and always order 18s now (very personal preference).
3. The Turbo wheels are forged, not cast, but that's a pretty big % of your options total. You can always change wheels; options not so much. Therefore:
4. If you give on the wheels (assuming you want to stay close to your MSRP), that gets you the Premium package which adds PDLS, power folding mirrors (a must for me), vent seats (another must), surround view (works very well so far) and ambient lighting (meh, but OK) to your BOSE and LCA.
5. After driving the PDK C4S cab at PECATL and trying launch control, you definitely want SC on a PDK car.
6. Most everything else is fluff (colored belts, stitching, dials, etc.) - fun to play with if budget no concern, but doesn't add anything to the drive experience really.
I've got to say this was my 1st ordered P-car and 3rd overall (bought a used 997.1 in 2019 and have a 2015 Macan S). I went with a mix of performance and interior option as I felt the interior is where I actually spend my time. And I did not opt for the Prem. Pkg. as PDLS+ was not something I felt I really needed. You get the same lights either way, PDLS+ just adds some additional features to the lights. I also didn't need Surround or folding mirrors as I found that the proximity sensors work quite well, as does the backup cam, and I didn't need Surround. Or LCA. So added Bose, ventilated seats and ambient lighting a la carte. I did go with the crests on headrests as I like the little touch, but I wish I had added the leather visors as my understanding is they don't have the annoying stickers. I could have added the headliner in race-tex but didn't and I'm fine without it, but it would have made the interior a bit nicer.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:40 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Ditch LCA and the turbo wheels. Wheels are a personal preference obviously but I don’t think they look $4K better.
I’d consider the standard Carrera S rims. I just saved you thousands.
Scott P (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:01 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
REALLY?? In-My-Not-So humble opinion that advice will be regretted for life.

Quick Reply: 30 Days From Lock - Change My Mind