Clutch Damage Launching in Sport Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 02:03 PM
Skarz
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
People should the OP's

What the OP wants to know is if launching in SPORT mode will wear out the clutch more than launching than the Porsche approved SPORT+ launch.

The clutch wear will be the same either in SPORT or SPORT+.
I would certainly expect clutch wear to be higher when launching at 5k vs launching at 4K…………..the clutch engages against more rotational kinetic energy.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:05 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
People should the OP's query.

It's not whether launch control will wear out the clutch. Yes, it will. The OP gets that. In fact, just driving the car will wear the clutch. The OP also gets that.

What the OP wants to know is if launching in SPORT mode will wear out the clutch more than launching than the Porsche approved SPORT+ launch.

And, as others have hinted, it will not. The programming in the drivetrain programming (either in MT or PDK trim) is smart enough to figure out the most efficient way to launch the car. Launching the car in SPORT+ simply maximizes the acceleration of the car from a dead stop. The clutch wear will be the same either in SPORT or SPORT+.
Thank you so much, this is EXACTLY the focus of my query! I appreciate the confirmation!

Also, I wouldn't have even delved into this if not for claims on this thread wherein a poster claimed they were told at PEC LA that they were told of drivers burning up clutches due to launching in modes outside of Sport Plus, and that launching in ANY mode other than Sport Plus places 'enormous strain on the driveline components.'
Old 04-30-2022, 09:26 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Thank you so much, this is EXACTLY the focus of my query! I appreciate the confirmation!

Also, I wouldn't have even delved into this if not for claims on this thread wherein a poster claimed they were told at PEC LA that they were told of drivers burning up clutches due to launching in modes outside of Sport Plus, and that launching in ANY mode other than Sport Plus places 'enormous strain on the driveline components.'
Seriously, if this were a real concern, why wouldn't Porsche just disable launch control in the other modes? On my manual, they prevent us from revving past 3500 RPM when the car is stopped. I'm sure one reason is because they don't want us doing a 7000 rpm clutch drop.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think too many people baby these cars when the reality is, these are very strong and durable cars. You don't hear people complaining of PDK failure much unlike on cars like the Nissan GTR which seems ot have a glass transmission.

Quick Reply: Clutch Damage Launching in Sport Mode?