Sponsored by:

Allocation withdrawal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 06:12 PM
jiggyjoejoe
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Allocation withdrawal?

I recently got a 992 allocation plus ADM and have the configuration in my Porsche login with tracking and delivery date in August 2022. However, I don’t have any paperwork documenting the ADM or my agreement. I’m guessing it’s in their computers.

Question is, do I need to have some sort of paperwork written up to make sure the car will be mine at production? Does Porsche have the right to not sell me the car or change my ADM during the process? thank you for the help.

I’m about to order car parts for it now so don’t want to suddenly lose the car when it is being built or arrives.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:38 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

You should have a contract with your dealer that has your allocation / V200 status number, the price and ADM you are paying, and the deposit you have posted. Otherwise you just gave them $$.

Also you should be able to log into MyPorsche.com / track your dream and see the status of the build, with the estimated freeze, completion date, etc. That indicates that your allocation is assigned to you and PCNA has your allocation under your account.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
detansinn (04-28-2022), Go Bruins (04-28-2022), KLOC (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 07:39 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggyjoejoe
I recently got a 992 allocation plus ADM and have the configuration in my Porsche login with tracking and delivery date in August 2022. However, I don’t have any paperwork documenting the ADM or my agreement. I’m guessing it’s in their computers.

Question is, do I need to have some sort of paperwork written up to make sure the car will be mine at production? Does Porsche have the right to not sell me the car or change my ADM during the process? thank you for the help.

I’m about to order car parts for it now so don’t want to suddenly lose the car when it is being built or arrives.
The use of the word “contract” is a misnomer. The only “contract” is the one you sign right before you drive it home. Yes, your agreed upon deal is in their dealer tracking system and they should’ve provided a build sheet printout with your information, V-status, commission number, etc. With that said, the car isn’t “truly” yours until it arrives and you sign on the dotted line. At any point before that - and as unscrupulous as it may be - the dealership can do whatever they want with that car (…e.g…change the ADM amount, pull your name off of the allocation, etc.).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-28-2022 at 07:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
detansinn (04-28-2022), jiggyjoejoe (04-28-2022), sylvainelie (09-02-2023)
Old 04-28-2022, 08:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggyjoejoe

It’s not your car until the transaction is completed on delivery day. If you get twitchy, or bail on the car, they’ll sell it to someone else. It’s not common for a dealer to screw the buyer that ordered the car, but that’s not to say that it never happens.

With that understood, you should have already established the amount of cash needed on delivery day. It’s important to get that in writing. While not the actual sales contract, it does enshrine the terms of the transaction. When you have that established upfront, you’re less likely to get surprised by mandatory PPF, wheel/tire, maintenance agreements, etc (ie. shadow ADM) on delivery day.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
jiggyjoejoe (04-28-2022), M3Inline6 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:31 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 142 Posts

This is only partially true. A good/honest dealer gives you a purchase order / bill of sale at the time of the order that’s signed by a sales manager that clearly specifies the terms. Sure - it doesn’t entirely stop a dealer from potentially screwing you over but it will be much harder especially when you’ve put a deposit down.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:53 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
This is only partially true. A good/honest dealer gives you a purchase order / bill of sale at the time of the order that’s signed by a sales manager that clearly specifies the terms. Sure - it doesn’t entirely stop a dealer from potentially screwing you over but it will be much harder especially when you’ve put a deposit down.
This. I have gotten a bill of sale signed by me and my dealer rep on all my Porsche purchases. It has included the price of the car as well as every option added. It also has a clause which allows me to not accept the car if the price is higher than agreed upon when taking delivery. When I took delivery of my 992 GT3 Touring a short while back, it was 3k Euro above the MSRP that was on the bill of sale due to some small changes in pricing between order placement and pick-up day. Needless to say the dealer ate that as we had an agreed upon price.

in my world, if you don't have a signed bill of sale, you haven't purchased anything. Demand a written document you both sign with all the details.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:48 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

It stops nothing and it’s false security. Nothing matters and nothing is concrete except the paperwork you sign when you pick up the vehicle. A deposit is refundable and it is not security.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-28-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:14 PM
Il CP
Pro

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
It stops nothing and it’s false security. Nothing matters and nothing is concrete except the paperwork you sign when you pick up the vehicle. A deposit is refundable and it is not security.
True. But it does make the dealer out to be even more of a plonker if he goes back on something he signed off on. It's a lot easier for most to lie or go back on their word if there's nothing tangible to hold them accountable. Standing in front of a client and say "I never said that" or "I don't recall agreeing to that" gets a lot harder if you signed a piece of paper that details everything.

Even for the biggest shysters in that line of work, it is never a nice feeling being outed as a such. A bill of sale or written proof of agreement will do that.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:35 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

It’s not false security at all actually. If you give a deposit and you have a signed bill of sale that’s consideration on a contract. Sure if Porsche lost your car on a sunken boat you’re going to have a hard time holding the dealer accountable but it will also not be in the dealers interest to just give your allocation away given they open themselves up to legal liability of nonperformance on a contract. Sure they can give you your deposit back but then when you need to pay even more to buy a replacement you have a case that they most likely won’t want to fight. Crap dealers don’t do things in writing for a reason… good dealers do. Does it mean you are 100% protected… no… can you sleep a bit better at night… yes.
The following users liked this post:
Il CP (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:47 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Il CP
True. But it does make the dealer out to be even more of a plonker if he goes back on something he signed off on. It's a lot easier for most to lie or go back on their word if there's nothing tangible to hold them accountable. Standing in front of a client and say "I never said that" or "I don't recall agreeing to that" gets a lot harder if you signed a piece of paper that details everything.

Even for the biggest shysters in that line of work, it is never a nice feeling being outed as a such. A bill of sale or written proof of agreement will do that.
I agree 100%.

It’s not false security at all actually. If you give a deposit and you have a signed bill of sale that’s consideration on a contract. Sure if Porsche lost your car on a sunken boat you’re going to have a hard time holding the dealer accountable but it will also not be in the dealers interest to just give your allocation away given they open themselves up to legal liability of nonperformance on a contract. Sure they can give you your deposit back but then when you need to pay even more to buy a replacement you have a case that they most likely won’t want to fight. Crap dealers don’t do things in writing for a reason… good dealers do. Does it mean you are 100% protected… no… can you sleep a bit better at night… yes.
NO it is NOT! It is not legally binding whatsoever. You will not have a “Bill of Sale” unless you are paying cash and have all rights to the vehicle. If you’re financing, you sign all DMV documents at the time you sign the purchase contract. Nothing binding is signed until your car is delivered.

You're contradicting yourself. Either you’re protected or you’re not. There is no halfway. An ordered car is NOT yours until you’re driving away with it and have assumed all financial liability for it. This legality works both ways. If that car arrives and you want to walk, the dealer cannot make you pay for it. It is their car……..until it is your car.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-28-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:20 AM
Il CP
Pro

I agree 100%.

NO it is NOT! It is not legally binding whatsoever. You will not have a “Bill of Sale” unless you are paying cash and have all rights to the vehicle. If you’re financing, you sign all DMV documents at the time you sign the purchase contract. Nothing binding is signed until your car is delivered.

You're contradicting yourself. Either you’re protected or you’re not. There is no halfway. An ordered car is NOT yours until you’re driving away with it and have assumed all financial liability for it. This legality works both ways. If that car arrives and you want to walk, the dealer cannot make you pay for it. It is their car……..until it is your car.
I think the issue is that there is no "standard" for how such a written agreement should be drawn up. Some good dealers will have you sign an agreement that states that they ars obligated to sell you the car. However, such an agreement usually comes with a clause that you are obligated to buy the car. The only way out is if price gets higher due to a higher list price due to something the manufacture changed, or if there's faults or missing items etc. These types of contracts are very common here in Europe and work because they go both ways. The dealer is obligated to sell the car to you, and you will lose some of or all of your deposit if you back out. That's what the deposit is for from a dealers standpoint. That said, dealers are usually very lenient with a car such as the GT3, as it is easilly sold. It is of course also dependent on what the reason is.

In my country there's a law,holding a dealer responsible. If the dealer does not honor the agreement the dealer will be fined and made to pay a restitution to the client. All without the need of a civil suit.

Looking in from the outside, it looks like the US doesn't have much in terms of legislation to protect consumers. A real shame.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:58 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

I agree 100%.

Wow - getting pretty animated… Have you ever had a buyers order when ordering a vehicle? Did you read the terms? The terms on mine, at least, states what happens if there is a failure to deliver etc and… gets at under what conditions a dealer may increase the price which pretty much is only when the manufacturer increases the price prior to delivery. Even then the buyer can back out. It is a contract to be clear - the reason I sounded like I was contradicting myself is because I hate to tell you - contracts don’t necessarily mean people won’t breach them… they do all the time and hope the other party lets it go. I’ve fortunately never had to challenge mine but my main point was just that good dealers use these (and don’t be confused they don’t just do it to be nice - it includes protections for them as well). I will concede that every state is different so I’m not sure how it’s handled everywhere but I’ll take these all day long over nothing when ordering a vehicle - you should feel free to send deposits and hope for the best though!

Last edited by av12345; 04-29-2022 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:32 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Wow - getting pretty animated… Have you ever had a buyers order when ordering a vehicle? Did you read the terms? The terms on mine, at least, states what happens if there is a failure to deliver etc and… gets at under what conditions a dealer may increase the price which pretty much is only when the manufacturer increases the price prior to delivery. Even then the buyer can back out. It is a contract to be clear - the reason I sounded like I was contradicting myself is because I hate to tell you - contracts don’t necessarily mean people won’t breach them… they do all the time and hope the other party lets it go. I’ve fortunately never had to challenge mine but my main point was just that good dealers use these (and don’t be confused they don’t just do it to be nice - it includes protections for them as well). I will concede that every state is different so I’m not sure how it’s handled everywhere but I’ll take these all day long over nothing when ordering a vehicle - you should feel free to send deposits and hope for the best though!
I’m not animated at all. I’m just trying to clarify the legalities for those who are obviously confused and/or misinformed, and who think a commission number, an allocation or an agreed upon price in writing means they own that vehicle (…which is surprising considering the age demographic of the average Porsche buyer; this isn’t likely the first car they’ve ever purchased). Ultimately my finer point stands: the car is not legally yours until you sign the legal documents that officially transfer ownership and liability from the dealer/manufacturer to the person/finance company….

​​​​​​…..and if we’re nit-picking, you don’t even own the car if you financed it. The bank does! I do concede that an owner/bank relationship at least provides you legal ownership interest.

P.S. Unless your state has a cool-off period, there is no backing out once you sign the legal documents. That car is yours and you are stuck with it unless you decide to sell/trade the vehicle.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-29-2022 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Allocation withdrawal?