Sponsored by:

My 4GTS coupe should I keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 05:04 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by YL992GTS
We have a bring unique property in Orange County on a very special lot. To replicate the feeling in NC where we’re moving our mortgage will be substantially higher (much bigger house) I know, it’s shocking and unbelievable to me as well. Lower taxes will offset some, but not the mortgage differential.
If you have kids, I strongly recommend (first hand experience) you budget for private schools. We made the mistake when we first moved to NC (yes, not all areas are the same) of putting our two boys in NC public schools…terrible mistake. After a few years, we moved to a state known for superior schools. What a difference. And yes, in NC, compared to many states like Cal, your money will go a lot further. We doubled the size of our house, when we moved from Md to NC, and, had waterfront property in NC…all for the same price that we sold our Md house.

Best of luck.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-14-2022 at 05:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
detansinn (04-15-2022), Go Bruins (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:14 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yep. And like warranties, so-called non-refundable deposits are just the starting point for a discussion.
I think you should offer to cancel your order if the dealer will return your $5k and give you an additional $10k. Then the dealer can sell it with an ADM
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:17 PM
rockbottom8
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the build code. Would love to see it!!
Old 04-14-2022, 06:30 PM
YL992GTS
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rockbottom8
Do you have the build code. Would love to see it!!
PNV9G9TV
Old 04-14-2022, 06:31 PM
YL992GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
If you have kids, I strongly recommend (first hand experience) you budget for private schools. We made the mistake when we first moved to NC (yes, not all areas are the same) of putting our two boys in NC public schools…terrible mistake. After a few years, we moved to a state known for superior schools. What a difference. And yes, in NC, compared to many states like Cal, your money will go a lot further. We doubled the size of our house, when we moved from Md to NC, and, had waterfront property in NC…all for the same price that we sold our Md house.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. We’re definitely going private schools. We’re taking the kids to visit soon.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:34 PM
YL992GTS
Intermediate

Don’t keep it.

If you are moving to a new place and looking to buy something comparable, I would liberate myself from any existing financial burdens until you know what the final price tag is, and all the associated costs of buying a new home and landscaping/furnishing the way you want.

Then, once settled in, if the finances will support, try again. Who knows, by then, you may have entirely new priorities of where to put your money, eg, bigger house, boat, plane, golf CC, etc. Or, the new 992.2 will be coming out.

This has been my thought process, but there is a possibility that it will completely work out and I’d hate to be out this car. That’s why I was curious what the community thought about my financial position on the car if I did need to sell afterwards.

Last edited by YL992GTS; 04-14-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:35 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Buy it and sale it for a profit.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:51 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

This has been my thought process, but there is a possibility that it will completely work out and I’d hate to be out this car. That’s why I was curious what the community thought about my my financial position on the car if I did need to sell afterwards.
I learned from my Depression era parents to be financially conservative, even though I have a significant savings. They were part of the Greatest generation, so I felt they had a lot I could learn from them. By the way, my parents have live in Coronado, ca for over 50 years…so have done very well.

Moving to a new state, new schools for your kids, new house expenses, etc, etc, could bring unforeseen expenses. I’d let the smoke clear until you and your family are comfortably settled in before adding a $177K financial burden for a new toy? What’s the rush? Porsche will still be selling 911’s, and who knows, you may get a better deal from the Porsche near your house in NC? Might strike up a good relationship with the dealership that you will be taking your car to?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-14-2022 at 06:54 PM.
VintageRacer (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 07:37 PM
rockbottom8
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PNV9G9TV
Odd it says not found. Wonder if it disappears after you get the car built? Wanted to see what was in the build.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:53 PM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you guys know if it's possible to sell the car without first paying taxes? Assuming that you will never drive it.
For example, I bought a car out of state and didn't pay tax when I received it but had to pay at the DOL when I registered the car.
Could I have sold it before registering it?
If yes, that could a way for the OP to get out of this with some extra money.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:58 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

I'd say for sure that most Porsche guys buy with cash or a small temporary loan?
Old 04-14-2022, 10:42 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Panayos
Do you guys know if it's possible to sell the car without first paying taxes? Assuming that you will never drive it.
For example, I bought a car out of state and didn't pay tax when I received it but had to pay at the DOL when I registered the car.
Could I have sold it before registering it?
If yes, that could a way for the OP to get out of this with some extra money.
I believe that dealership can help you do such a transaction without you getting hit with sales tax. The same can be done, for example, if you lease the car and then sell it private party (i.e., you don't buy the car and pay full sales tax only to turn around and sell it to someone else).

I still say leasing is a good way to keep the car for a short time, little down, and get out of it easily soon or later.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:14 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Best of luck.
Cody, what happened with your sons in the public schools?
Old 04-14-2022, 11:36 PM
YL992GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockbottom8
Odd it says not found. Wonder if it disappears after you get the car built? Wanted to see what was in the build.
I went with
Exterior Color
Chalk
Interior Color
Leather Interior in Black with Chalk Stitching
Rear Axle Steering
Deletion of Model Designation
Power Steering Plus
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Front Axle Lift System
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
930 Leather Package
Ventilated Seats (Front)
Deletion of "GTS" Logo on Side Skirt Inlays
Premium Package
Adaptive Cruise Control
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
rockbottom8 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 12:47 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

I say dump it.

Quick Reply: My 4GTS coupe should I keep it?