Buzzing sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:33 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buzzing sound when accelerating

edit: to specify i have a 992 c2s cab with ras and extended fuel tank

So recently in addition to the "non-error" errors (RAS failure, ACC failure, and more I can't remember, happened a few days ago and randomly throughout the last year - solved by turning car off and on again)

I've been experiencing a buzzing sound in the rear occasionally, kinda sounds like metal vibrating fast

I read some talk about fuel pump recently, I did some testing on my own today and got the sound to show up after a few seconds after refueling and driving at around 3/8ths of a tank + switch to sport+ and going up hill and following ir so on someone else

Normally it shows up on the freeway when I'm first getting on, and in sport+, and accelerating - I usually always have half a tank or less when getting onto the freeway - the freeway is mostly flat where it happens

Also, in the past I have not turned PSM off, Its turned off always now every time I drive - the sound has been around regardless

For the audio clip I included the whole drive (skip ahead for "the sound "), at 33 minutes I switch from normal to sport+ - at 33:39 the "I feel like the car frame is buzzing from rear? right side?" sound starts and lasts for a few seconds - I stop at the top of the hill. Thats the only occurrence today that I know for sure about

My questions are "what is making that sound? is something damaged or are these regular car noises?"

Is it the fuel pump and then a non-issue or is it something serious?

The sound doesn't really show up when I'm cruising but it does other times...... usually speed is involved, but to throw a curveball in it shows up when going from 80-100 more than it does above 100, I dont think i've ever heard it above 110, definitely not above 160. Unfortunately I'm trying to stick to... public speed guidelines .....so I can't and haven't tested 80-100/100-160+ recently (I got a civil speeding ticket, using my defensive driving school for the year so can't get anymore). Todays sounds appeared from 0 to 60 or less.

Lot of text but I think some background might help figure out what's making the noise, if it is not the fuel pump.

idk anything about car parts i'm just driving in circles and want to make sure my car isn't broken 🤣

anyone else experiencing this? if you have an ipad throw it in a back seat and hit record when driving so we can compare/contrast. if you do the ipad thing make sure you have a grippy case, i'm using the standard apple folding cover thing with the screen cover folded back to minimum and camera uncovered with it face down on the seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWez...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by harshalp; 04-07-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:33 AM
dkmwp
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 992 TTS and I hear the exact same sound, mostly accelerating at lower speeds. To me it sounds like an electric motor. I also read lots of threads about fuel pumps but was never convinced it was the same sound I've been hearing. Your audio clip sounds exactly the same as mine. I've not been too worried about it but also wouldn't mind learning more about where the sound is coming from. Great job recording the audio clip BTW. I thought about recording a clip to post but was dubious I could capture the sound on my phone.
The following users liked this post:
harshalp (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:47 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

I (2022 992) had a buzzing sound coming from the rear with radio on or off that seemed to match the revs up and down. It was the small speaker in the rear seat side panel. There are two speakers behind the grill and it was the small one witch mounts in metal that was vibrating. Had nothing to do with volume just a loose mounting. I simply forced some small stiff rubber pieces in there and it is gone.
A word of caution the plastic speaker grill just snaps in but you have to be very slow and gentle when pulling it off as the tabs are easy to break. Someone posted pictures showing this.
harshalp (04-10-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 01:17 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

So many squeaks, rattles and buzzes in this car it’s hard to pinpoint all of them. The intermittent ones I’m living with. The constant noise makers I’m trying to track down. The dealer just made it worse by breaking the door card tabs.
EZ E (10-04-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 03:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I have a '21 992S Cab and get a right rear buzz when in SPORT mode or when the SPORT EXHAUST is activated. Mine is tied to the exhaust valves being open in some manner. Doesn't bug me enough to chase it down, though. Does not occur in NORMAL mode with Sport Exhaust off.
harshalp (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
So many squeaks, rattles and buzzes in this car it’s hard to pinpoint all of them. The intermittent ones I’m living with. The constant noise makers I’m trying to track down. The dealer just made it worse by breaking the door card tabs.
I feel the same way...it didn't annoy me that much at first as I was so pleased with the rest of the car, but all these rattles and buzzes are starting to impact my driving enjoyment.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:33 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkmwp
I have a 992 TTS and I hear the exact same sound, mostly accelerating at lower speeds. To me it sounds like an electric motor. I also read lots of threads about fuel pumps but was never convinced it was the same sound I've been hearing. Your audio clip sounds exactly the same as mine. I've not been too worried about it but also wouldn't mind learning more about where the sound is coming from. Great job recording the audio clip BTW. I thought about recording a clip to post but was dubious I could capture the sound on my phone.
I realized early on my phone would maybe fly around but the ipad would be a bit more planted in the back seat , combining with the ipad pros “high quality” microphones I’ve gotten some good sound clips!

Originally Posted by ohniner
I (2022 992) had a buzzing sound coming from the rear with radio on or off that seemed to match the revs up and down. It was the small speaker in the rear seat side panel. There are two speakers behind the grill and it was the small one witch mounts in metal that was vibrating. Had nothing to do with volume just a loose mounting. I simply forced some small stiff rubber pieces in there and it is gone.
A word of caution the plastic speaker grill just snaps in but you have to be very slow and gentle when pulling it off as the tabs are easy to break. Someone posted pictures showing this.
will see if I can find out any more on if the speaker thing is the issue, makes sense for a possibility since it is mounted to the metal

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have a '21 992S Cab and get a right rear buzz when in SPORT mode or when the SPORT EXHAUST is activated. Mine is tied to the exhaust valves being open in some manner. Doesn't bug me enough to chase it down, though. Does not occur in NORMAL mode with Sport Exhaust off.
I only use NORMAL or SPORT PLUS, but when I did record the sound this time was shortly *after* turning the Sport Exhaust on (via turning the dial to Sport Plus)

going to see if I can record some more occurrences

also in general I agree theres a lot of other noises the car makes but most if not all of the others are what I assume are regular car noises. the passenger visor creaking occasionally is a little annoying sometimes but not something I’m concerned about. whereas this sound seems like it could be something more. maybe it is maybe it isn’t, might as well figure out whats up lol

Last edited by harshalp; 04-08-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

One of mine is so bad that cruising down a smooth highway with cruise control it is so annoying that my wife has to constantly hold pressure against the passenger door. Embarrassing to say to say the least.
harshalp (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 02:49 PM
harshalp
Instructor

that's crazy damn @991.1 Guy , I understand what you mean about that being embarrassing to say the least. Hope you can get it sorted

from the other day, recreated the sound multiple times doing low to medium (0-60 or etc) pulls in SPORT PLUS (so SPORT EXHAUST on), both on flat ground and uphill

time stamps:
2:15-2:25
5:10-5:30
6:25ish?
7:30-7:45
13:40-13:45
14:45-15:00
29:00-29:20 after switching sport+ back on
30:25-30:45? possibly when slowing down and not sure if there was something when accelerating

from a few months back, high speed stuff, don't remember hearing as much of? any? of this sound last year will listen to this one and the other one i have from october more closely

Last edited by harshalp; 04-10-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:29 AM
earldorsey
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They are not the sounds I am experiencing. Mine are vibrations.
harshalp (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:39 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

The entire lower plastic section of the door card wraps around the bottom of the car and is anchored to the door frame. After chasing the same issue I think that plastic piece gets torqued during mounting causing noise. If you open the door and look underneath you can see it clearly. Just stuff some stiff foam or rubber in a few places (obvious when you look) and see if noise goes away,
harshalp (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 05:14 PM
harshalp
Instructor

Originally Posted by earldorsey
They are not the sounds I am experiencing. Mine are vibrations.
Thank you @earldorsey !

Originally Posted by ohniner
The entire lower plastic section of the door card wraps around the bottom of the car and is anchored to the door frame. After chasing the same issue I think that plastic piece gets torqued during mounting causing noise. If you open the door and look underneath you can see it clearly. Just stuff some stiff foam or rubber in a few places (obvious when you look) and see if noise goes away,
Thanks @ohniner going to look at that now
Old 04-17-2022, 09:36 AM
earldorsey
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Having verified that the engine mounts and fuel pump are not the vibration source, the service manager takes the view that the engine compartment noise is a function of normal engine sounds. I have been offered the opportunity to drive another 992 for comparasion.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 PM
dkmwp
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone have any more info on this buzzing sound? I finally got some footage of the noise in my car and confirm that it is the same as that from the OP. The buzzing is more faint in my video but if the volume is turned up, it can be clearly heard (at least by me). I thought it might be the speaker so I removed the grill and filmed the speakers, but then the videos don't seem to show vibration corresponding to the buzzing that is heard. I'm getting used to it and plan to give up on tracing the source but wanted to check one last time if anyone has any further info.

Old 10-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmwp
I'm getting used to it
i heard op is doing the same

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound when accelerating