Sponsored by:

Battery woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:48 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Thanks, that is good news. So, you also see 12.2ish after starting car for some time (mine was like 10min at least) and then after a while it bumps up to 13.2ish? Best news of the day. Just curious why it does not show more when driving thinking it should charge at higher voltage similar to breaking recovery?
It stays around 12.2-12.4 for a bit. However, while breaking I see fluctuations all the way up to 15. These BMS only charge the battery "when needed". I got frustrated on my BMW on several occasions in a deep freeze because I would only see the battery getting charged while engine breaking.
I still believe the batteries are undersized for the car, but we won't change that.
CTEK with installed pig tail is your friend.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
It stays around 12.2-12.4 for a bit. However, while breaking I see fluctuations all the way up to 15. These BMS only charge the battery "when needed". I got frustrated on my BMW on several occasions in a deep freeze because I would only see the battery getting charged while engine breaking.
I still believe the batteries are undersized for the car, but we won't change that.
CTEK with installed pig tail is your friend.
Thanks! Got the Ctek already permanently installed in car and garage....simple 5second job to connect.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:18 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks! Got the Ctek already permanently installed in car and garage....simple 5second job to connect.
Are there any videos or instructions on doing the permanent install?
Old 04-08-2022, 05:16 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by 992gts
Are there any videos or instructions on doing the permanent install?
Open frunk...

Take off piece of trim at back of frunk - it just lifts/snaps off. It is one piece that goes across the back of the frunk (or piece just forward of the windshield.

You will see the battery on the passenger side of where the large trim piece was.

With your charger you have a pigtail that came with it. Connect the pigtail to the battery (I connect to both positive and negative) some connect the negative to the grounding post (you will see it to the right of the battery) you can connect the negative to that or the black battery negative connection.

Facing the car - I fished my connector just out the front of the windshield just left of the passenger side wiper (there is a little alcove there). It can stay there permanently - it will not got anywhere when driving.

Replace the trim piece.

Close Frunk.

Hook up charger to the little dongle which you will see right by the passenger wiper with the frunk now closed.

Will take no more than 10 minutes. You just need a pair of pliers to losen the side bolt to attach the eyelets of the charger dongle to the battery.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:19 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks for those instructions, very helpful
Old 04-08-2022, 05:25 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Open frunk...

Take off piece of trim at back of frunk - it just lifts/snaps off. It is one piece that goes across the back of the frunk (or piece just forward of the windshield.

You will see the battery on the passenger side of where the large trim piece was.

With your charger you have a pigtail that came with it. Connect the pigtail to the battery (I connect to both positive and negative) some connect the negative to the grounding post (you will see it to the right of the battery) you can connect the negative to that or the black battery negative connection.

Facing the car - I fished my connector just out the front of the windshield just left of the passenger side wiper (there is a little alcove there). It can stay there permanently - it will not got anywhere when driving.

Replace the trim piece.

Close Frunk.

Hook up charger to the little dongle which you will see right by the passenger wiper with the frunk now closed.

Will take no more than 10 minutes. You just need a pair of pliers to losen the side bolt to attach the eyelets of the charger dongle to the battery.
Just as an aside, when I connected my charger to the positive battery terminal and the negative grounding post, the battery discharged completely when I attached the charger. Wiring to both the positive and negative terminals on the battery worked perfectly.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:13 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Open frunk...

Replace the trim piece.

Close Frunk.

I have my connector coming out next to the strut as there is an opening. How do you get it to windshield w/o either cutting the plastic or pinch the connector wire once you slide the cover back in and under the clips/latches?
Old 04-08-2022, 07:58 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Btw, anybody has experience with a larger replacement battery? Is it drop-in?

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
Old 04-08-2022, 10:05 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

I have my connector coming out next to the strut as there is an opening. How do you get it to windshield w/o either cutting the plastic or pinch the connector wire once you slide the cover back in and under the clips/latches?
In my 2021 992TTS, there is ample space under the rear edge of the plastic cover, and when the front lid is closed for easy passage of charge cables.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:48 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
In my 2021 992TTS, there is ample space under the rear edge of the plastic cover, and when the front lid is closed for easy passage of charge cables.

This above.

When you fish the connector end, it easily fits just in the little alcove by the windshield by the passenger wiper. Their is no issue with the plastic cover putting it there - and it is easy to connect and disconnect as well if you need to charge. You also do not see it (unless you look in that little alcove between the bottom of the front glass and the space between the back of the frunk and the windshield/plastic piece. It is like a little cave right there. I do have a rubber end cover for the dongle that is attached (assume all of them do - I run a CTEK lithium charger and dongle) - that way if it rains or whatever when driving - it has an rubber plug/cover over the connecter piece where it plugs into the actual charger.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Btw, anybody has experience with a larger replacement battery? Is it drop-in?

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
The antigravity team can speak up, but if you have a lithium battery, porsche is proprietary and you cannot yet use any other LiPo battery (unfortunate) due to the BMS that porsche uses. If you have an AGM, you can go something different.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:54 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 745 Posts

The antigravity team can speak up, but if you have a lithium battery, porsche is proprietary and you cannot yet use any other LiPo battery (unfortunate) due to the BMS that porsche uses. If you have an AGM, you can go something different.
Exactly. The car will try to connect the battery to the local network. Because aftermarket or AGM units don't have the capability to LIN join, the car enter emergency mode. I may be off the proper details, but that's the gist if you have a Li unit. It's about $2500 at the end. The cayenne has a one-use glue on bracket that's back ordered for weeks. My wife's car is in the shop for the last half month waiting on this disposable part to come from Germany.
Many more batteries will be sacrificed to low state of charge. Amazing how the Germans get all ruffled about carbon neutral, cow neutral, green production car and come up with a battery solution that goes against all common sense. Something that should last 4 years craps out in 6 months and cannot be easily recycled. On top of that, li battery storage is dangerous. Bunch of hypocrites.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:09 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Exactly. The car will try to connect the battery to the local network. Because aftermarket or AGM units don't have the capability to LIN join, the car enter emergency mode. I may be off the proper details, but that's the gist if you have a Li unit. It's about $2500 at the end. The cayenne has a one-use glue on bracket that's back ordered for weeks. My wife's car is in the shop for the last half month waiting on this disposable part to come from Germany.
Many more batteries will be sacrificed to low state of charge. Amazing how the Germans get all ruffled about carbon neutral, cow neutral, green production car and come up with a battery solution that goes against all common sense. Something that should last 4 years craps out in 6 months and cannot be easily recycled. On top of that, li battery storage is dangerous. Bunch of hypocrites.
Well that stinks. Even though this webpage says it fits Porsche.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:08 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Very sorry for you and your upset - my 992tts and lifepo battery work just fine, happily.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:09 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

This above.

When you fish the connector end, it easily fits just in the little alcove by the windshield by the passenger wiper. Their is no issue with the plastic cover putting it there - and it is easy to connect and disconnect as well if you need to charge. You also do not see it (unless you look in that little alcove between the bottom of the front glass and the space between the back of the frunk and the windshield/plastic piece. It is like a little cave right there. I do have a rubber end cover for the dongle that is attached (assume all of them do - I run a CTEK lithium charger and dongle) - that way if it rains or whatever when driving - it has an rubber plug/cover over the connecter piece where it plugs into the actual charger.
Changed my setup today to come out all the way on the end of the cover to the windshield. Yes, I have the ctek quick connect with the weather plug. Not sure I trust that plug though in heavy rain. If water gets in there it creates a short. But for now I have it there where I can plug it in w/o opening the trunk. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Battery woes