Sponsored by:

Battery woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 03:29 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
To chassis ground but not the post they show in the manual as the leads are not long enough of the quick connect. I used a post on the other side closer to battery.
If it were me, and knowing what my service adviser said, I would see if you can connect to the grounding post that Porsche stipulates. They seem to make a big deal out of it? Normally, ground is ground and shouldn’t make any difference, but grounds can be funny, and what you think is ground, is not true ground, and therefore, may do something to the battery voltage sensor he mentions?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-07-2022 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KLOC (04-08-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 03:46 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Oh, I believe you, and there certainly are real examples of bad batteries, or possibly a loose battery connection? Have you checked that the battery connections are tight?

That said, when I set up my PCM for the first time, it was at the dealership, with my SA helping me. Can’t remember now whether it was just on the battery, or whether the car was running? But either way, no issues.

As an aside, on my M4, if i turn the engine off, and I’m playing music and doing stuff with the system, after a while the system will alert me to either turn the car on, or the system will shut down in x amount of time. But even when it shuts down, and the screen goes dark, the car still starts fine….and this is still using the original (6yo) battery. My point being…I’m surprised that Porsche doesn’t give you a similar message before closing the PCM? And it should still start after things shut down? Shutting down the PCM is to save the battery…and that certainly should be done BEFORE the battery level ever gets close to not being able to start the car? Very odd.
Interestingly, my 981 does give me a warning that the battery is discharging, and asks me to start the engine or the system will shut down...not sure why they did not implement that in the 992
Old 04-07-2022, 03:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by alvitdk
Interestingly, my 981 does give me a warning that the battery is discharging, and asks me to start the engine or the system will shut down...not sure why they did not implement that in the 992
I’ve never drained my battery, to the point it shuts off, so I don’t know that there isn’t a warning on the 992? You would have to ask the thread OP. I was responding to him.

But even if there was a shutdown warning, in the OPs case, why would it shut down when the battery is at such a low voltage, that you can’t even start the car? The warning, or the shutdown needs to come much earlier.
alvitdk (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 04:26 PM
ZGstar
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Those of us (me) who got hosed by unexpected dealer add-ons at delivery might have gotten some actual value then? The Fidelity Platinum Plus +Rotors warranty includes one (1) OEM battery replacement per year as a listed benefit.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:53 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

13.2v is where a LFP Battery will sit at 12.8 s actually discharged. It may read from 13.7 down to 13.2v... but after a day or two of sitting it will always to go 13.2 and sit there during the majority of its capacity. Also sometimes the BMS can hold a little of what we call phantom voltage while the battery is sitting. but if you put a little load on it it goes back to where the battery cell pack is sitting at.... which, after is have settled down from a Charge, will be 13.2v
Old 04-07-2022, 04:58 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Has anyone on here actually heard of anyone who’s actually tested the battery warranty (verified), and was turned away, by PNA, because they said they hadn’t driven it enough, or was not on a trickle charger? Is this a lot of hype, or for real?

Back in the days when I was working, I did a LOT of travel…and often went upwards of a month without driving my car or putting on a trickle charger…and have never, ever had any problem starting my car upon my return. As it is now, my 2013 Lexus RS sits outside in the Winter (sub freezing temps), and rarely gets driven (our bad weather, dog and go to the beach car). The battery is original, and still starts like a champ after sitting for more than 2 weeks.

My point is - what’s with these batteries in Porsche that a NEW battery, in the garage, can’t hold a charge for many weeks? I’ve never experienced that problem, but seems like a number of you, have. Is there something in the electronics that slowly draining the battery?
It's trickier than that. AGM batteries are unlikely to be replaced under warranty. I did not drive enough but plugged the car if not using it for more than 2 days. If the weather gets colder, the car will die after 2 or 3 days. Yet, the battery "passed" all the VW tests and warranty was refused. The label of the battery is peeled off, which according to the manufacturer, is an indicator of gas leak. It did not matter. The battery dies, I made a video, it also did not matter. VW warranty is largely based on PIWIS errors or tests.

Lithium batteries are not tested. They die when the connector opens and won't return. Then, it's up to you to make the case that you're following the warranty manual. I had to show the Porsche tequipment charger (not a ctek according to the SA) to "prove" I was using it (Cayenne, not the 992 above). In the case of a $2500 bill, I think they expect you to search for arbitration, while the AGM you might just replace with an aftermarket or antigravity.

It's a cluster. I think the lithium connector exists to avoid fires. Funny that the marine shipping that lost its boat says it's not going to transport electric cars. First of many as their insurance will certainly increase as the vendors realize the risk. Long live ICE!
Old 04-07-2022, 05:04 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Wait…so you’re saying it was determined that the ship fire was due to Li batteries in an EV car? Or Li batteries in non-EV cars? That was the source of the fire’s origin?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-07-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by John Mclane
It's trickier than that. AGM batteries are unlikely to be replaced under warranty. I did not drive enough but plugged the car if not using it for more than 2 days. If the weather gets colder, the car will die after 2 or 3 days. Yet, the battery "passed" all the VW tests and warranty was refused. The label of the battery is peeled off, which according to the manufacturer, is an indicator of gas leak. It did not matter. The battery dies, I made a video, it also did not matter. VW warranty is largely based on PIWIS errors or tests.
!
Just curious - If Porsche (VW) is such a dick when honoring an obvious defective battery (your case), how are they when other warrantable items go bad?
Old 04-07-2022, 07:12 PM
BigBob2024C4S
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Had on Ctek this morning. Battery shows 13.6, PCM shows 13.5.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:18 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just curious - If Porsche (VW) is such a dick when honoring an obvious defective battery (your case), how are they when other warrantable items go bad?
Horrible, at least in my experience.
They once refused to cover the plastic lever that flips the seat (991) that broke in my hand. $45 plastic part that is stressed against a metal part, which unsurprisingly breaks.
KLOC (04-08-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 07:25 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wait…so you’re saying it was determined that the ship fire was due to Li batteries in an EV car? Or Li batteries in non-EV cars? That was the source of the fire’s origin?
I don't know about that, I read that the shipping company that owned that boat is not going to transport used (I forgot to add that) electric cars. It seems while the cause may be undetermined, the electric cars made the fire uncontrollable.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintel...sport-69252443

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45112/...ty-ace-sinking
Old 04-07-2022, 07:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Horrible, at least in my experience.
They once refused to cover the plastic lever that flips the seat (991) that broke in my hand. $45 plastic part that is stressed against a metal part, which unsurprisingly breaks.

I have to believe (hope) that there’s a lot of discretion at the dealership? Wonder if the mother ship gives dealership some kickback if they deny a claim against warranty?

If universal, then this is crazy.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:35 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I don't know about that, I read that the shipping company that owned that boat is not going to transport used (I forgot to add that) electric cars. It seems while the cause may be undetermined, the electric cars made the fire uncontrollable.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintel...sport-69252443

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45112/...ty-ace-sinking

Thanks. Appreciate the info and links.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:28 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have to believe (hope) that there’s a lot of discretion at the dealership? Wonder if the mother ship gives dealership some kickback if they deny a claim against warranty?

If universal, then this is crazy.
Not anymore. If the issue doesn't fulfill VW criteria, the dealer won't warrant the part.
Basically, PIWIS code, test failure (eg battery) or visible failure (PDK lever crack on 992) are covered.

On my past car (991.2), a rubber grommet inside the top cover was defective and scratched the top to the point of marking the canvas. The dealer tried with the local Porsche warrant "manager", that goes from time to time to the shop and he denied it.

If you have an electronic issue that is not generating a code and/or is intermittent, they won't fix it under warranty. For example, key fob issues. Mine works from time to time. The door handle needs to be caressed prolongou to respond and open the door. Same for closing. It doesn't matter if I show right in front of them. The reply is "we can't just throw parts at the car". I think if that fixes it, they must as they promise by warranting the car. Some of this is dealer dependent or SA dependent. With dealers not exactly everywhere, you need some degree of luck. Currently my SA is a car guy that I have a decent rapport. I don't push some issues and don't abuse the loaner availability. He helps me out being accommodating.

One could hope things would improve if the IPO goes forward, but I doubt.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2022, 08:33 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's an official doc on the battery behavior, posted before on similar threads:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76854-0001.pdf

Quick Reply: Battery woes