Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS High Gloss Black Package Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 11:43 PM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GTS High Gloss Black Package Worth It?

All, I've been watching Rennlist for several years, since before we ordered our 2021 Cayenne Coupe GTS in August 2020, and have benefited immensely from this Forum's comments; however, I have not posed a specific question for Rennlisters until now.

Our 2022 Targa 4 GTS build locks in 2 months, but unfortunately Porsche has discontinued PTS for the 2022 model year. We had a terrific PTS metallic paint picked out, and I've always been a fan of metallic paint on these high-end cars (our current Porsche and the 3 BMW's before that all had metallic paint). Now we're considering going with Dolomite Silver Metallic, but I'm just not certain that the center-lock Satin Black Wheels will look all that awesome against the shiny metallic silver paint color so am thinking of speccing the High Gloss Black Package. I'd be interested to hear what folks think about this on a Dolomite Silver Metallic 911 and whether the additional cost is justified. Btw, our Porsche Code No. Is PN28G8E0, and I'd also be interested to hear Rennlisters' thoughts on the overall build spec. Many thanks!
Old 04-01-2022, 11:56 PM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Well, as a novice to this Forum I see that I incorrectly and incompletely posted my build code. The correct and complete posting is http://www.porsche-code.com/PN28G8E0

Many thanks again for any thoughts/comments on our current build spec.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:59 PM
992dreams
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 45 Posts

I initially had the high gloss black package on my Aventurine green GTS. After much debate, I went with the standard black package. I am going to put miles on my car, and I was concerned about scratches and swirls on the high gloss. I have a Tesla plaid, and there is so high gloss black trim. It does show some micro scratches and swirls - albeit I daily drive the Tesla and Tesla's fit and finish is a long way from Porsche. I still debate whether I made the right decision the GTS. My car was apparently built in the last few days, so there is no turning back for me.

I do think high gloss will look fantastic on the Silver Metallic. If you are not OCD about little scratches and possible swirls, I say spec the car with it.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:06 AM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

992Dreams, thank you for your thoughts. I should have mentioned that I will PPF the entire car, so hopefully what you mentioned will be mitigated somewhat by that. Many thanks again, and enjoy your ride when it arrives!
Old 04-02-2022, 12:11 AM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw a Dolomite Silver Carrera S with the Carrera S wheels painted in high gloss black at the dealership and it looked great.
I actually really liked the color although I wasn't expecting to.
I agree about the scratches but they shouldn't be visible from a few feet away I would hope.
If you like it, I would go for it. I am not a big fan of satin black though, so I am a bit biased
Old 04-02-2022, 12:15 AM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Panayos, thank you for your thoughts -- I think if the scratches become unbearable I'll just pull out my permanent black Sharpie and touch them up! LOL 😆
Old 04-02-2022, 12:46 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I don’t really care for it; I think it looks weird.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:57 AM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Shrimp Money, thank you -- am really on the fence on this. I'd frankly like to spec the Turbo S Wheels for the car, but CWW has turned that down. I guess I could buy the wheels I really want through Parts, but this seems like a costly fix for a brand new car.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:57 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

I am not a fan of Black Packs on any 911s if your asking my opinion…but only you know if it works for you. Had it on an RS3 which looked OK but the ethos on that car is different than a Targa in my mind. This is my wife’s Dolomite Targa….which we were intent on getting in GTS form but instead loaded this one at the time with all options and lowered it with Techart HAS. Went with graphite blue interior (blue top) to bring out the blue in the Dolomite and with ss seat backs on 18 ways. I was going to paint the rear fascia body color but when it arrived…then liked it as it was….and I think the flat black against the black wheels you’re considering read equally good to gloss wheels you are considering. I wouldn’t do black mirrors (for sure) but again…me. If I would choose Black Pack with slate interior, GT Silver would be my choice (for sure)…and in fact ordered my TTS in GT silver with rear fascia et al painted in body colour - not Black…with slate/ light grey interior. We’ve had a PTS Targa (Horizon Blue Metallic) which was beautiful- but equally happy with Dolomite so don’t feel like you’re missing out. Wonderful think about 911s, three months into then ownership experience you are convinced there is no better colour in the world than (insert colour)* 🙂

Old 04-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

Overdraft, thank you for your thoughts. You are absolutely correct on the mirrors (where we want them to be the Dolomite exterior body color) and have asked our SA to check with Porsche about still getting them painted that color rather than the High Gloss Black.

Would you mind sending me a link to your build sheet? I really like the look of your car, which is very close to what we're trying to achieve. I know you said the roof is blue but for some reason it looks black in the picture. I've gone back and forth on whether blue or black for the roof for the very reason you mentioned but have settled at least for now on black on account of all the other black ascents offered on the GTS. I very much prefer the silver Targa bar shown on your car and will spec that in the build. Many thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:25 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Paint matched mirrors are a low key option with surprisingly big impact. Not commonly spec'ed but it really elevates the look, IMO. Gloss black window trim is another one - it seems like a small thing, but in person it really pops and enriches the look of the car.

My problem with the high gloss black package is that it's a little overkill on the gloss. I do like touches of gloss black here and there (ie window trim), but you can overdo it. Gloss black skirts and lip will strongly contrast against the silver and might be a little more prominent than you want. Gloss black mirror bases don't make a lot of sense to me, aesthetically.

It's all a matter of taste of course - no right or wrong answer.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
M3Inline6 (04-02-2022), Taxjoc (04-03-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Targa4GTSinTX
Advanced

rk-d, I very much appreciate your input as well as the others who have chimed in on this topic. Based on the thoughts expressed, I'm moving away from speccing the High Gloss Package, although I may still get the High Gloss Black calipers. Although I like the GTS red calipers and have them on our Cayenne Coupe GTS, I think having the black calipers on the smaller 911 will make the car appear longer when looking at it from the side.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa4GTSinTX
rk-d, I very much appreciate your input as well as the others who have chimed in on this topic. Based on the thoughts expressed, I'm moving away from speccing the High Gloss Package, although I may still get the High Gloss Black calipers. Although I like the GTS red calipers and have them on our Cayenne Coupe GTS, I think having the black calipers on the smaller 911 will make the car appear longer when looking at it from the side.
My car is a TTS, but FWIW, I went with paint matched mirror bases and skirts with high gloss black window trim and brake (PCCB) calipers. Very happy with the overall look and I've had a lot of compliments on the spec.

The GTS classically has the matte black side skirts and lip - if I was optioning a GTS, I'd probably keep those elements in my spec.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:28 PM
loomis.g
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

For my 2021 C4S sold, I chose the high gloss black and it does look great. But for the coming TT, I didn’t get any high gloss black, simply have the feeling it doesn’t make a big difference and costs too much😂 but it’s quite personal, as a dream car, pick the one you like. If the package makes you happy, why not
Old 04-02-2022, 12:39 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

It's all subjective of course. I really dig the gloss black bits as it elevates the exterior quite a bit over the standard black plastic. Maybe coming from 20 years of BMW has trained my perception that matte black plastic = low model and gloss black = higher end models.

I personally do not like the painted body color trim as it eliminates needed contrast to the exterior (looks like a single blob of color to me).

I ultimately did not tick the High Gloss Package however because I really cannot live with the gloss black wheels -- it really cheapens the overall look in my opinion.

Quick Reply: GTS High Gloss Black Package Worth It?