Sponsored by:

Paperwork, Financing & Trade In

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 09:12 PM
nv992gts
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Paperwork, Financing & Trade In

I’m curious, how are most of you handling this? My SA said we would handle all of this, including the trade-in, once the car arrives at the dealership. I think I would actually prefer to handle as much possible prior to collecting the car. I’d like to make that day as painless as possible. Also, wonder if this is when they try to get me to purchase all the dealer extras.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:21 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Just know how to say "No" and you'll be fine regarding dealer extras. I would most definitely have the trade in value negotiated in advance - if the dealer is local do that in advance. If not local send them a ton of photos. It's all doable - I've purchased a Porsche from a dealer 320 miles away and from one 650 miles away. Traded in a vehicle both times and trade in value was agreed to in advance from pictures and conversation. I've purchased at least 40 new vehicles in my life - and, to be honest, it's still a bit "dizzying" when you see that new Porsche that you'll be about as rationale as a 16 year old boy having sex for the first time. The dealer knows that and will absolutely take advantage of that (and you!) in that situation. Negotiate this in advance. For financing I'd arrange my own in advance to know what you could get - if the dealer can beat that great but otherwise you've got something arranged. Paperwork is easy and shouldn't take over 20 minutes at the most. If you have a good friend who you trust take them along - tell them in advance if you start to do or agree to something stupid that they should intervene. Keep your head in the game, don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't agree to anything you don't want. At the end of the day it's just a business transaction - the dealership staff will forget you as soon as the next customer arrives.
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:36 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by nv992gts
I’m curious, how are most of you handling this? My SA said we would handle all of this, including the trade-in, once the car arrives at the dealership. I think I would actually prefer to handle as much possible prior to collecting the car. I’d like to make that day as painless as possible. Also, wonder if this is when they try to get me to purchase all the dealer extras.
I just traded my car in for a Porsche. Like previous poster:
- agree on trade in value before (provide VIN, photos, Carfax, service record)
- get draft purchase agreement with trade-in and pay off included (that number will change a little later)
- get financing approved and ready to go
- for used car purchase - have then do all services ir repairs in advance. I had them do a Porsche service and fresh set of tires put on as part of my agreed deal

Then on day of trade you just need an updated 10 day pay off from your current car, if you have a pay-off, and they can complete all paperwork fairly fast. I never agree to any add-ons I did not negotiate or ask for in advance.

Still amazing how much time you spent there but it's a little faster and stress free that way as there are no open questions, negotiations or consideration for add-ons.

It was easy and smooth for me. All I did was check the new car out, test drive, double checked they did what I asked them to do, handed the updated 10 day pay off, signed the final agreement and done. No haggling, no negotiations, no bank application, nada.

AlexCeres (04-01-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:45 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Make sure you have THE OUT OF THE DOOR PRICE. Anything else is BS and is a placeholder for hundreds if not thousands that will miraculously be added at the last minute. Unless you live in a megalopolis, do the registration yourself etc. etc.

siberian
detansinn (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:40 AM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Did everything via DocuSign with my local dealer in advance. Once the car arrived, just went in and picked it up, zero paperwork, no meeting with finance person etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Newport IRL:
AlexCeres (04-01-2022), mgi (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

You may want to be careful about signing all the docs too early in advance, or you might on the hook for insuring the car even before it arrives at the dealership for you to take delivery.
AlexCeres (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:54 AM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

True, insurance has to be provided 10 days from executing the docs. The dealer/party at fault is responsible for damage they cause to the car no matter if the car is insured by the buyer or not. Does create the opportunity for hassle nonetheless.

Last edited by Newport IRL; 03-31-2022 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:57 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Make sure you have THE OUT OF THE DOOR PRICE. Anything else is BS and is a placeholder for hundreds if not thousands that will miraculously be added at the last minute. Unless you live in a megalopolis, do the registration yourself etc. etc.

siberian
Doing the registration yourself is great if you pay the vehicle off at delivery - the dealership will give you the MSO. If you carry a lien on it most likely the dealer will NOT give you the MSO - with no MSO I don't think you'll get the vehicle registered (you can't in Iowa).
Old 03-31-2022, 08:24 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Doing the registration yourself is great if you pay the vehicle off at delivery - the dealership will give you the MSO. If you carry a lien on it most likely the dealer will NOT give you the MSO - with no MSO I don't think you'll get the vehicle registered (you can't in Iowa).
dealers rarely give you the MSO , because if lost , it is a big hassle to replace. Most insist on doing the paper work themselves which is great
Old 03-31-2022, 08:34 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

My past few transactions have been pretty brisk and my thoughts are similar to others here.
  1. Be sure to have the out the door price and all of the details in advance of the big day. Even if you are doing financing, establish the cash price and all of the associated costs. You should be able to get this as early as when you get your allocation.
  2. If you are doing a trade-in, the above price should include the trade-in value and tax implications/benefit. Trade-in is part of the negotiation. When I was growing up, I was told to not bring the trade into the picture until you’ve come to the deal, but that’s a bad strategy and poor advice. If you’ve got a desirable trade, especially in this environment, you’re going to end up with a more favorable price on the new car. Here in 2022, the trade-in has more leverage than cash.
  3. If you are financing, you do that on your own — not when you’re sitting there at the dealer. Lock in your rate and get pre-approval prior to delivery day. That approval notice with instructions for the dealer is as good as cash on delivery day. It puts you in a stronger position. Part of adulthood is building a relationship with your banker and that can be surprisingly helpful.
  4. Loan pre-approvals are typically only good for 30 days, so you’ll want to get that with 1-2 weeks of TYD margin of error. Wait until the car is on the boat.
  5. It’s 2022. You’ve got your VIN. Setup your insurance in advance of delivery day. It makes things smoother.
  6. If you push to have the deal (cash out the door price) early in the negotiation, it will move up the dealer add-on discussions from PPF, wheel/tire, etc. Just be aware of it. It’s good to have it out of the way. Dealers have been really pushing PPF, because they get a little margin/referral fee. They’ll likely use a local detailer/installer for the job, which may or may not be cheaper for you to use directly. Know that cost of having it done independently going in so that you don’t end up spending more than you have to.
  7. Email your insurance, loan pre-approval, etc to the SA prior to delivery day. Speeds up the document prep.
Being prepared not only makes for a quicker transaction, it also takes away the pressure that you can feel to accept things that you don’t want just to get things done. Truth be told, the dealer prefers a prepared buyer, because there are fewer things that can go sideways on delivery day when there’s agreement and everything is already in place.

I recently completed a new car transaction in 15 minutes, because sorting things out in advance really helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlexCeres (04-01-2022), shrimp money (03-31-2022), siberian (03-31-2022), TripleL (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
dealers rarely give you the MSO , because if lost , it is a big hassle to replace. Most insist on doing the paper work themselves which is great
Yes, it's so great the geniuses where I bought my car (New Country Porsche in CT) registered my 992 as a 944 and wasted 6 weeks of my time while still not transferring the vanity plates from my previous car. Unless you wait 6 hours at DMV if you live in a huge city, at the height of COVID I had an appointment in 3 days and it took 20 minutes (they even waived the fee as everyone wanted to see a 2021 944 as it had been a while since they'd seen such a FU). Just one more ooze of your cash as they try and add "convenience fee", "business fee", "disposal fee", "prep fee"....

As to MSO and financing you either have cash or you do your financing arrangement prior to getting to the dealership.

Without the OUT OF THE DOOR price you have a place holder. @detansinn summed it up. Caveat emptor.

siberian
detansinn (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:23 PM
nv992gts
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent! Thank you all the for this very helpful information!

I’m doing PPF & a ceramic coating which coincidently is the same shop that the dealer uses (they quoted me ~$600 more). Just need to figure out the semantics of getting it done. The shop does have a flatbed service.
detansinn (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You may want to be careful about signing all the docs too early in advance, or you might on the hook for insuring the car even before it arrives at the dealership for you to take delivery.
I always insure my car before actually signing and receipt of car.

I pick up tomorrow but my Insurance kicked in yesterday.

But, I wonder if one of the Mechanics totaled my car, which has a replacement value $42,000 above MSRP, if I would actually be covered?? I am assuming I would not and just thinking about this scared the crap out of me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
AlexCeres (04-01-2022), detansinn (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 02:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ditto. Car is insured prior to shipment in addition to the paltry $5k or so from the shipper.

siberian
AlexCeres (04-01-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Make sure you have THE OUT OF THE DOOR PRICE. Anything else is BS and is a placeholder for hundreds if not thousands that will miraculously be added at the last minute. etc. etc.

siberian
FIFY.

Last edited by siberian; 03-31-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Paperwork, Financing & Trade In