Sponsored by:

Maintenance and protection plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 10:42 PM
NKM
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maintenance and protection plans

My base carrera is finally at the dealer. Going for a full wrap and ceramic coat and I’ll get it in about a week or so.

dealer quoted me a couple add-ons and was curious on the price and thoughts of folks here.

I tend to keep my cars for a while.. 7-8 years. Maybe I’ll keep this one longer.. but I don’t know. Not high mileage… maybe at most 8k miles a year.

for the platinum Porsche protection plan, 96 mos, 60k miles - $4083.
for the Porsche maintenance plan 60 months - $5035.

Are these negotiable? I remember on my Honda minivan I could buy this stuff online from other dealers and was able to get it deeply discounted.

in leaning towards the protection plan at a minimum. But wasn’t sure if the cost is reasonable.

appreciate everyone’s thoughts.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:08 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

With the EVs looming, you might be switching up sooner to another, newer 911, before it goes hybrid en masse.

Id just pay for service out of pocket each year.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
detansinn (03-22-2022), Yojeffo (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 01:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Always pass on maintenance plans.

As to the Vehicle Protection Plans (or extended warranties), why not just wait until your OEM warranty expires before deciding? Even if those plans are transferrable for a nominal fee, who knows if you'll end up keeping your car 7-8 years as you intend to do so now. Things change, life happens. Why tie up 4k for no reason.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (03-22-2022), russbert (03-22-2022), Scott P (03-22-2022), Yojeffo (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:20 AM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

I personally passed on all the protection and maintenance plans offered by the dealer.

However, to answer your question - yes they should totally be negotiable. My finance manager tried to reel me in with discount offer one after another. I think his final offer was about 30-40% off initial price. So definitely do not purchase these at initial cost offered.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Read the fine print; IIRC the maintenance plan is not refundable…so if you sell early the buyer gets free service.

I passed on everything except PPF, which was discounted and handled at the xPel HQ location.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I only bought the wheel and tire package plan as it was decently discounted for 6 years unlimited miles through Fidelity from my dealer4. If I mess up 1 wheel on my car and it needed to be replaced, it would cost most that this plan cost.

As to the extended warranty, I may buy that at some point much later but have decided to put it off for now. I was offered a 10 year Fidelity plan which my dealer highly recommends for about $5100 if I sign by December 15th 2022. I'll probably pass on it and just wing it for a while, since my car will be in warranty for 4 years from this past December. I'm sure I'll have to pay more for it later, but I don't want to invest in it yet. I paid about $4200 for an extended warranty of 7 yr/70000 miles on my 2012 911 Turbo S and only used $1100 of it in the 6 years I had the car. It never needed anything and I drove it a lot.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:25 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Agree with most here. You are pre-purchasing something that you don't need to pre-purchase.

For instance, the maintenance plan (which as noted STAYS WITH THE CAR - even if you total it), can be purchased right up until the 2nd service. That's up to two years after your purchase date. So I don't think anyone should be buying that two years early. As for the warranty - once again, you will have the opportunity to buy that after 4 years or 50,000 miles - so why spend the money now?

And yes, we all think we will keep the car forever - until we get one that breaks down all the time or we just end up hating... then ..... well it hurts even more to get rid of it if you have pre-purchased the above.

PS - you will love the car however
The following users liked this post:
nitam (04-16-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:59 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I only bought the wheel and tire package plan as it was decently discounted for 6 years unlimited miles through Fidelity from my dealer4. If I mess up 1 wheel on my car and it needed to be replaced, it would cost most that this plan cost.

As to the extended warranty, I may buy that at some point much later but have decided to put it off for now. I was offered a 10 year Fidelity plan which my dealer highly recommends for about $5100 if I sign by December 15th 2022. I'll probably pass on it and just wing it for a while, since my car will be in warranty for 4 years from this past December. I'm sure I'll have to pay more for it later, but I don't want to invest in it yet. I paid about $4200 for an extended warranty of 7 yr/70000 miles on my 2012 911 Turbo S and only used $1100 of it in the 6 years I had the car. It never needed anything and I drove it a lot.
I agree, no one needs to worry about extending their warranty until about 6 months left of Factory Warranty, at the end of your factory warranty, for a Manufactures Extension by Freedom Warranty, comparable to Fidelity Platinum, you're looking at $4,660 for 6 years / up to 100k miles (125k miles for $400 more), repairs accepted at all Porsche dealers in North America, covered for up to $275 an hour in labor, only $100 deductible, 0% financing is available. Contact me at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.comif you have any questions or would like to see an example contract.

I used a 2018 911 Carrera w/ 30k miles as a reference to the age and miles you may be looking at when your factory warranty expires.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 03-22-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:12 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by NKM
My base carrera is finally at the dealer. Going for a full wrap and ceramic coat and I’ll get it in about a week or so.

dealer quoted me a couple add-ons and was curious on the price and thoughts of folks here.

I tend to keep my cars for a while.. 7-8 years. Maybe I’ll keep this one longer.. but I don’t know. Not high mileage… maybe at most 8k miles a year.

for the platinum Porsche protection plan, 96 mos, 60k miles - $4083.
for the Porsche maintenance plan 60 months - $5035.

Are these negotiable? I remember on my Honda minivan I could buy this stuff online from other dealers and was able to get it deeply discounted.

in leaning towards the protection plan at a minimum. But wasn’t sure if the cost is reasonable.

appreciate everyone’s thoughts.
Nothing presented to you in the “box” is a good deal. Hold onto your money.

Never prepay for service, even when they scare you with numbers. Having paid for more services than 99% of 992 owners, you’d come out ahead and I most certainly did by paying out of pocket.

If you think that you need an extended warranty, you can make that decision right up until the end of your factory warranty — spoiler alert, it’s still not worth it. This isn’t a McLaren that will break every other week. It’s a Porsche. Maintained and driven, it will basically go forever. Sit and neglect is when they get expensive.

If you bought an extended warranty, then decide to put a tune on the car, it’s money out the window. If the car gets totaled, it’s money out the window. If you simply put that $4k into some other investment, by the time you needed to pay for some repair yourself, you would have a nice pile to spend.

Now, there will be some folks that argue for the above. Some will even point out that opting in, at the time of sale, allows you to bury these things in the monthly loan payment. That’s not how I roll, but YMMV.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:58 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Nothing presented to you in the “box” is a good deal. Hold onto your money.

Never prepay for service, even when they scare you with numbers. Having paid for more services than 99% of 992 owners, you’d come out ahead and I most certainly did by paying out of pocket.

If you think that you need an extended warranty, you can make that decision right up until the end of your factory warranty — spoiler alert, it’s still not worth it. This isn’t a McLaren that will break every other week. It’s a Porsche. Maintained and driven, it will basically go forever. Sit and neglect is when they get expensive.

If you bought an extended warranty, then decide to put a tune on the car, it’s money out the window. If the car gets totaled, it’s money out the window. If you simply put that $4k into some other investment, by the time you needed to pay for some repair yourself, you would have a nice pile to spend.

Now, there will be some folks that argue for the above. Some will even point out that opting in, at the time of sale, allows you to bury these things in the monthly loan payment. That’s not how I roll, but YMMV.
I bought extended warranties on both my M5s because I was worried about high cost repairs like the SMG and then DSC transmission. Never made a single claim on either policy. Now I am a fairly risk averse (financially) guy but I don't see myself buying an extended warranty for the 911 unless I have some really bad experiences during the first 4 years.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:06 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drew46
I bought extended warranties on both my M5s because I was worried about high cost repairs like the SMG and then DSC transmission. Never made a single claim on either policy. Now I am a fairly risk averse (financially) guy but I don't see myself buying an extended warranty for the 911 unless I have some really bad experiences during the first 4 years.
If only everyone was so lucky, the good thing is with top tier policies, in the event of not using your policy, you are offered a prorated refund.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:11 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
If only everyone was so lucky, the good thing is with top tier policies, in the event of not using your policy, you are offered a prorated refund.
Says the person selling the policies. You only get a refund if you cancel the coverage. The longer you go into a policy, the more likely it is you will use it. So they are offloading their highest amount of risk for a "pro rata" cost.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:30 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drew46
Says the person selling the policies. You only get a refund if you cancel the coverage. The longer you go into a policy, the more likely it is you will use it. So they are offloading their highest amount of risk for a "pro rata" cost.
Correct, you've passed Extended Warranty 101!
Old 03-23-2022, 12:39 AM
Swayze
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

I’ve bought pretty much all the plans at one point, always thinking this will be the car I’m going to keep. Agree with everyone on not prepaying maintenance and not extending the warranty until the end of its time.

My new car is coming in the next few weeks hopefully, I am still thinking about the wheel plan. Do any of you guys use third party plans for that or just not worry about it. I’m getting a GTS with center locks so thinking it would be worthwhile.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:19 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Swayze
I’ve bought pretty much all the plans at one point, always thinking this will be the car I’m going to keep. Agree with everyone on not prepaying maintenance and not extending the warranty until the end of its time.

My new car is coming in the next few weeks hopefully, I am still thinking about the wheel plan. Do any of you guys use third party plans for that or just not worry about it. I’m getting a GTS with center locks so thinking it would be worthwhile.
Find a good wheel repair shop. It’s considerably more cost effective than the wheel plans.
The following users liked this post:
Swayze (03-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Maintenance and protection plans