Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matrix Headlight Activation - CALL YOUR DEALER & PCNA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022 | 09:44 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Default Matrix Headlight Activation - CALL YOUR DEALER & PCNA!

Notwithstanding that the NHTSA rule change was approved a month ago (2/1/2022), Porsche has not, according to my dealer, responded concerning the possibility or procedure for activating Matrix functionality on USA-market, Matrix-equipped cars.

In fact, my dealer (when asked to contact PCNA) stated that PCNA informed them that Matrix-equipped cars produced prior to the rule change lack the necessary physical capability and cannot have their Matrix functionality activated. (Which I doubt.)

I would urge everyone whose car/cars has Matrix headlights (for which, let’s not forget, one paid a substantial premium) to call their dealer AND PCNA to insist on immediate activation of the Matrix functionality that is now legally permitted.

I have told my dealer that I want their and PCNA’s response in writing, rather than continued delays and runaround. I’ll report back if I make any progress as well as any other response.

Please post your efforts and results!
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (03-03-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 09:54 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
Notwithstanding that the NHTSA rule change was approved a month ago (2/1/2022), Porsche has not, according to my dealer, responded concerning the possibility or procedure for activating Matrix functionality on USA-market, Matrix-equipped cars.

In fact, my dealer (when asked to contact PCNA) stated that PCNA informed them that Matrix-equipped cars produced prior to the rule change lack the necessary physical capability and cannot have their Matrix functionality activated. (Which I doubt.)

I would urge everyone whose car/cars has Matrix headlights (for which, let’s not forget, one paid a substantial premium) to call their dealer AND PCNA to insist on immediate activation of the Matrix functionality that is now legally permitted.

I have told my dealer that I want their and PCNA’s response in writing, rather than continued delays and runaround. I’ll report back if I make any progress as well as any other response.

Disappointing, but I'm not remotely surprised.

Porsche doesn't want to deal with the hassles. The cars are sold and there is nothing to be gained by adding a new variable. I suspect they are busy enough as it is dealing with the Ukraine fallout.
Old 03-02-2022 | 09:58 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I’m not impressed with Porsche customer support, and will remember this when I go to get my next car. I had planned to get a Porsche SUV for my wife. Not anymore.

AS far as “lacking the physical capability”…I don’t believe. I did just contact my dealership to see what their official position is, but not optimistic.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-03-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2022 | 10:09 PM
frankchn
Pro

I would not be surprised if there are differences required in hardware in the final standard from NHTSA vs the EU standard. Global Automakers commented on this during the rule making period: https://www.regulations.gov/comment/...2018-0090-0182
Old 03-02-2022 | 10:10 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by frankchn
I would not be surprised if there are differences required in hardware in the final standard from NHTSA vs the EU standard. Global Automakers commented on this during the rule making period: https://www.regulations.gov/comment/...2018-0090-0182
Apparently it’s functional in Canada…and has been.
KLOC (03-25-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 10:12 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Here in the US it was always pretty clear that by ordering the matrix headlights you were pretty much paying for cosmetic differences since the lights weren’t approved. Now that they are, will Porsche be building new cars with functional headlights for the US market?
Old 03-02-2022 | 10:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This has been discussed to death on this thread from just a couple of weeks ago…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1289...ctivation.html
Old 03-03-2022 | 01:34 AM
frankchn
Pro

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Apparently it’s functional in Canada…and has been.
Canada's CMVSS allows the EU/ROW standard, but FMVSS doesn't.

Source: https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2...ors43-eng.html

Instead of being equipped with headlamps in accordance with subsection (1) or (2), as the case may be, passenger cars, three-wheeled vehicles, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks and buses may be equipped with headlamps that conform to United Nations Regulation No. 123, Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Adaptive Front-lighting Systems (AFS) for Motor Vehicles, as amended from time to time.

UNR123 is the ECE EU/ROW adaptive headlight standard.

Last edited by frankchn; 03-03-2022 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2022 | 04:16 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’m not impressed with Porsche customer support, and will remember this when I go to get my next car. I had planned to get a Porsche SUV for my wife. Not anymore.
THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!! WON'T HAVE MRS BIG DOG TO KICK AROUND ANY MORE.
manifold danger (03-13-2022)
Old 03-03-2022 | 07:23 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Any known factual basis for your view that the installed Matrix lights are not physically capable of compliance with the NHTSA final rule performance specifications (which were finalized and published in October, 2018 - before 992 release in the US)?

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-03-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2022 | 07:57 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
This has been discussed to death on this thread from just a couple of weeks ago…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1289...ctivation.html
actually — NOT.
that thread focused on the rule change and whether there might be a charge for activation and did not address dealers’ or PCNA’s response to activation requests.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-03-2022 at 09:06 PM.
CodyBigdog (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022 | 08:48 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If they decide to do anything, PCNA is not going to do this as a for free, gratis activation. It’s much more likely that Porsche will make no change that impacts the homologation of the older cars. They would have to re-homologate the 992.1 with Matrix functionality.

It is unlikely that a dealer is will be your path to get this done. If the hardware is there, I imagine that the independents will be the likely path to activation. It’s just like any other forward dating modification.

If you insist on throwing a tantrum with your dealer and make their lives miserable over this, best of luck when it comes to your next allocation.

Personally, I don’t understand the energy around this. You bought the Matrix headlights knowing the functionality did not work in the US. Porsche was very clear on this. Everyone who spent time in the configurator knows this.
txpackers (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022 | 08:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Do not assume the hardware is 100% the same in the US as in other markets. Yes, it seems logical that it would be but Mercedes for example has a (deactivated) matrix system sold in the US with similar disclaimers as Porsche but the hardware is actually different to other markets. You can activate the US version via coding changes but what you end up with is different, mainly around the cornering lights.
detansinn (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022 | 09:04 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by detansinn
If they decide to do anything, PCNA is not going to do this as a for free, gratis activation. It’s much more likely that Porsche will make no change that impacts the homologation of the older cars. They would have to re-homologate the 992.1 with Matrix functionality.

It is unlikely that a dealer is will be your path to get this done. If the hardware is there, I imagine that the independents will be the likely path to activation. It’s just like any other forward dating modification.

If you insist on throwing a tantrum with your dealer and make their lives miserable over this, best of luck when it comes to your next allocation.

Personally, I don’t understand the energy around this. You bought the Matrix headlights knowing the functionality did not work in the US. Porsche was very clear on this. Everyone who spent time in the configurator knows this.
you could be right - and you could be wrong.
my belief is that you will be proven wrong.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2022 | 09:13 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterdouglas

Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me. Porsche sold you Matrix headlights and promoted their specific function and benefit to lure you into buying them. The assumption can be made, and it may have even been promised by Porsche or your dealer, that you’d be able to utilize their functionality when DOT/NHTSA approved the technology for US roads. Now that it’s approved, they say they didnt include specific hardware to use them? They never should have been sold to you then. Its false advertising at the very least.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 03-03-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Schwarz992C4S (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Matrix Headlight Activation - CALL YOUR DEALER & PCNA!