Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matrix Headlight Activation - CALL YOUR DEALER & PCNA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 09:53 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by frankchn
To add on, Canadian / European standards are based on the UNECE standards, and the NHTSA has explicitly said in its final rule that the FMVSS standard differs. Even the NHTSA thinks that at least some ADB systems will not comply with its new rules:

It is unclear if the modifications are purely software or require hardware changes.
Is there any factual basis for believing that Matrix headlights which physically have complied with European/Canadian standards cannot also comply (when activated for the US market) with the new US-NHTSA standard?
Old 03-03-2022, 09:55 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

I’m not trying to be rude here but it’s clear that OP is pretty delusional and nothing will change their mind. The configurator quite specifically says no matrix functionality in the US. You have not been wronged if you bought them and Porsche does not enable full matrix capabilities. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

To add on, Canadian / European standards are based on the UNECE standards, and the NHTSA has explicitly said in its final rule that the FMVSS standard differs. Even the NHTSA thinks that at least some ADB systems will not comply with its new rules:

It is unclear if the modifications are purely software or require hardware changes.
Why mention just “programming” if hardware was involved?

If hardware was involved, then pretty sure there’s no chance of retrofitting to activate, and I think to avoid any confusion/misunderstanding from customers, Porsche would have specifically stated that the matrix system can not be activated in the US. This is, a simple statement in the configurator that said something like this: “The active matrix system has been deactivated for the NA market”, with no specifics as to why.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
jfr0317 (03-03-2022), peterdouglas (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 09:59 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zachr
I’m not trying to be rude here but it’s clear that OP is pretty delusional and nothing will change their mind. The configurator quite specifically says no matrix functionality in the US. You have not been wronged if you bought them and Porsche does not enable full matrix capabilities. Sorry.
that’s not rude - just completely ill-informed - NO ONE has suggested that Porsche promised full ADB functionality.

Last edited by peterdouglas; 03-03-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Really? Can you quote EXACTLY where it says “no matrix functionality in the US”? In this case, words matter.

Now, if Porsche can activate, but chooses not to, well, that’s another issue entirely.

Let me summarize - there are two issues: (1) Can Porsche activate and (2) Will they?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:08 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by peterdouglas
Is there any factual basis for believing that Matrix headlights which physically have complied with European/Canadian standards cannot also comply (when activated for the US market) with the new US-NHTSA standard?
Three things I can see from a skim:

(1) The transition zone maximum of 1 degree (no other standard sets a limit for this).
(2) The final FMVSS rule also has requirements for both the minimum and maximum intensities of both low and high beams, while the SAE J3069 standards only have requirements for requirements for low beam minimum and maximum, so it is possible that the high beams are too bright.
(3) SAE J3069 allows the headlight to exceed some glare limits continuously so long as the headlight does not exceed 125% of the lower beam illuminance, but the final FMVSS rule allows only momentary glare (i.e. you cannot exceed the glare limit continuously).

Anyway, we are all speculating here. It might be that Porsche's matrix headlights meets all the above criteria, but I won't bet money on it.

Last edited by frankchn; 03-03-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

If I had to guess as why there will be a delay from Porsche, their lawyers and technical people are looking closely at the regulations to make sure that by activating, they will still be in compliance with the revised federal regulation?

This is above my pay grade….

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-03-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:16 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Really? Can you quote EXACTLY where it says “no matrix functionality in the US”? In this case, words matter.

Now, if Porsche can activate, but chooses not to, well, that’s another issue entirely.

Let me summarize - there are two issues: (1) Can Porsche activate and (2) Will they?
You know exactly what the configurator says. You can mince words all you want, but we have documentation from Porsche stating that US buyers will receive a different programming for Matrix lights and no documentation stating that Porsche can or will change that.

Talk yourselves in circles all you want, but the fact is we are entitled to nothing here.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:16 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Three things I can see from a skim:

(1) The transition zone maximum of 1 degree (no other standard sets a limit for this).
(2) The final FMVSS rule also has requirements for both the minimum and maximum intensities of both low and high beams, while the SAE J3069 standards only have requirements for requirements for low beam minimum and maximum, so it is possible that the high beams are too bright.
(3) SAE J3069 allows the headlight to exceed some glare limits continuously so long as the headlight does not exceed 125% of the lower beam illuminance, but the final FMVSS rule allows only momentary glare (i.e. you cannot exceed the glare limit continuously).
as previously noted, can you cite any factual basis for believing that the physical characteristics of US-market Matrix headlights produced after the October 2018 notice of the final NHTSA rule would prevent them from complying with the final rule?
jfr0317 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:27 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

as previously noted, can you cite any factual basis for believing that the physical characteristics of US-market Matrix headlights produced after the October 2018 notice of the final NHTSA rule would prevent them from complying with the final rule?
holy ****. you might be the most stubborn karen I’ve seen so far this year.

How about you cite a factual basis for your claim that Porsche should enable Matrix functionality, since you’re the one making a claim and others have provided numerous reasons you could be wrong.

Your only basis is “well it would make sense for it to work this way”. just stop.

Last edited by zachr; 03-03-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:31 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

You know exactly what the configurator says. You can mince words all you want, but we have documentation from Porsche stating that US buyers will receive a different programming for Matrix lights and no documentation stating that Porsche can or will change that.

Talk yourselves in circles all you want, but the fact is we are entitled to nothing here.

I do know EXACTLY what it says. Do you?

Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.””

Not “mincing words”. But words, especially on a authorized, public site as the configurator, have a very specific meaning.

You seem to be confusing the two issues, which are (I’ll repeat):

(1) Can the Matrix system be activated by Porsche?
(2) Will Porsche activate the system, if #1 is yes?

With regards to #1 - The statement shown above from the configurator indicates that the individual LEDS function as a single source because they are programmed to do so….and therefore, reversing the process, in software, seems plausible.

With regards to #2 - Porsche agreeing to activate, or not,, well, that remains to be seen. I’m sure Porsche lawyers and technical people are looking what the change might mean with regards to still satisfying the new federal regulations?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-03-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

How about you cite a factual basis for your claim that Porsche should be able to enable Matrix functionality, since you’re the one making a claim and others have provided numerous reasons you could be wrong.

Your only basis is “well it would make sense for it to work this way”. just stop.

“Karen”?

Now I see who you are, “snowflake”.

By the way, what’s your stake in all this?
Old 03-03-2022, 10:48 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

How about you cite a factual basis for your claim that Porsche should enable Matrix functionality, since you’re the one making a claim and others have provided numerous reasons you could be wrong.

I have NEVER claimed that Porsche can enable Matrix/ADB functionality or claimed that it is only a software/programming change or claimed that the change (if possible) should be free of charge.

SO… while I don’t know what your problem is, I do know that I can’t fix it.
The following 2 users liked this post by peterdouglas:
CodyBigdog (03-03-2022), jfr0317 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:49 PM
frankchn
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

None, but there is also no evidence that the post 2018 headlights will actually comply with the new rule, especially the one about the 1% transition, which isn't even in the 2018 rules.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:53 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

None, but there is also no evidence that the post 2018 headlights will actually comply with the new rule, especially the one about the 1% transition, which isn't even in the 2018 rules.
thanks - understood and fair enough - but just to be clear, no evidence that the physical characteristics of the US-market Matrix lights are incompatible with compliant activation.
jfr0317 (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Matrix Headlight Activation - CALL YOUR DEALER & PCNA!