Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:36 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
My opinion:

Sports cars benefit from stiff sway bars.

PDCC allows you to have stiff sway bars on demand without the comfort issues of having them full time. If this was a GT car, then it doesn’t matter and Porsche can just spec stiff bars with little care to comfort, plus the benefit of weight savings and less complexity.

The combination of PDCC/RAS/AWD on my TTS is like sorcery. It’s feels like a slot car when cornering, yet retains a comfortable ride.

Now I would not pass on an allocation because a car doesn’t have PDCC, but I think it’s a worthwhile technology for these cars.

Only subjective downside, if any, is that all these systems make the car feel almost mid-engine, but the trade off in performance is worth it IMO.
I agree that PDCC is awesome, but like you, I also wouldn’t wait another year to get it.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:14 AM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Agree with all, get the car ASAP.
I read a thread a while ago in this section before I spec’d my car and tests showed RAS improved lap times while PDCC did not.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:26 AM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I suspect that PDCC is holding up my car. I went into production on 2/15 and was scheduled to come out on 2/28. Now that is pushed to 3/15. I thought that they didn't start you car if they didn't have all the parts ready to go, but maybe I went into the body shop and then got held up. Nobody seems to have any answers. But I am definitely starting to think it is PDCC and perhaps a related chip.
according to TYD my car my scheduled on 2/9, started on 2/23 and finished on 2/28 and has PDCC. Now en route to Emden and appears on the lovely map to be hanging out at a golf course near Düsseldorf. - just checked again and it made it to Emden. MyPorsche app and website both still say scheduled for Production - got to love good data!
Old 03-02-2022, 08:31 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
I read a thread a while ago in this section before I spec’d my car and tests showed RAS improved lap times while PDCC did not.
Honestly, unless you are really good at track driving - your ability is the limiting factor. Not RAS or anything else.

I think the question is more subjective than anything - does the tech make the car more fun?

An old Porsche has a different feel completely. The rear engine bias is more extreme and the lack of technology means that you have to learn to swing that pendulum *** around corners. Primitive, but fun.

Even without all the tech, the newer cars don't really have that same *** heavy feel. Not as much anyway. I think the engine is more midship and even stock, there is plenty of tech: Torque vectoring, etc.

RAS/PDCC really just take the current car's existing tendencies and dials it up, IMO. I feel like they make the car feel lighter and more nimble.

There is an argument that at 10/10 on a track, PDCC starts to less predictable in terms of feedback.I'm sure I'm not good enough to ever know it.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:03 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Skip it. The 911 isn’t a top heavy SUV. You don’t need it.
I agree with this. PDCC is not important enough on a 911 dynamically to skip the allocation IMO. There's a reason it's not on the GT3 or standard on the GTS.

The primary benefit in the 911 is comfort. But if you're getting a GTS, my guess is that is not a top priority for you.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:05 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

There is a reason cars with the light weight package get RAS. Porsche figures if you are getting that package you will be tracking the car occasionally.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:39 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheStanman
I agree with this. PDCC is not important enough on a 911 dynamically to skip the allocation IMO. There's a reason it's not on the GT3 or standard on the GTS.

The primary benefit in the 911 is comfort. But if you're getting a GTS, my guess is that is not a top priority for you.
Primary benefit of PDCC is performance. The car corners flatter and PDCC works well with RAS in allowing the car to pivot hard from center. Personally, I think PDCC is just as impactful as RAS.

The problem is that PDCC is pretty expensive and it's an easy thing to skip. Having now lived with PDCC, I'd definitely pick it over any driver's nannies or Burmester.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:54 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

I’ve been impressed with PDCC and would recommend especially if you will be tracking. Best of both worlds better performance on track and more compliant ride on the street.

Here’s a video showing improved lap time with PDCC, also it’s easy to understand that less roll will result in a better load distribution with a higher lateral grip capability.

Honestly, unless you are really good at track driving - your ability is the limiting factor. Not RAS or anything else.

I think the question is more subjective than anything - does the tech make the car more fun?

An old Porsche has a different feel completely. The rear engine bias is more extreme and the lack of technology means that you have to learn to swing that pendulum *** around corners. Primitive, but fun.

Even without all the tech, the newer cars don't really have that same *** heavy feel. Not as much anyway. I think the engine is more midship and even stock, there is plenty of tech: Torque vectoring, etc.

RAS/PDCC really just take the current car's existing tendencies and dials it up, IMO. I feel like they make the car feel lighter and more nimble.

There is an argument that at 10/10 on a track, PDCC starts to less predictable in terms of feedback.I'm sure I'm not good enough to ever know it.
Not my experience after 6 track days. I find PDCC to be very predictable at the limit, and beyond. When the grip limit is exceeded breakaway is gradual and controlled. No drama.

Another benefit if you track is that tire wear is more even across the tread since the car does not roll.

The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:36 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

PDCC causing delays is news to me. I’ll gladly accept more delay to get the car spec’d as I ordered it - with PDCC and RAS.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RRich
I’ve been impressed with PDCC and would recommend especially if you will be tracking. Best of both worlds better performance on track and more compliant ride on the street.

Here’s a video showing improved lap time with PDCC, also it’s easy to understand that less roll will result in a better load distribution with a higher lateral grip capability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTlryNBn6Y

Not my experience after 6 track days. I find PDCC to be very predictable at the limit, and beyond. When the grip limit is exceeded breakaway is gradual and controlled. No drama.

Another benefit if you track is that tire wear is more even across the tread since the car does not roll.
How do you know your track experience is due to the PDCC and not just the exceptional 992 chassis? Have you driven a non PDCC car at the same level as your PDCC car?
I’m too lazy to find the thread that compared a PDCC car to a non PDCC car that I’m referring to.
Moral to the story to the OP, don’t let your allocation go for the PDCC option during these times of extended waiting periods.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RRich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTlryNBn6Y

Not my words - some German magazine claimed this. I'm not good enough (or psychotic) to remotely come close to 10/10 with a TTS, so it's a non-issue regardless. I don't plan to track this car anyway and on the street, PDCC is a win. It does not surprise me at all that PDCC shines on the track for you.

Not many people have really driven a car with PDCC/RAS and I also dismissed PDCC before actually owning a car that has it. The two technologies really seem to go hand in hand.

Last edited by rk-d; 03-02-2022 at 09:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-04-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 09:31 PM
tiger2021
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a message on Track my Dream
Dear Customer, as the terrible news and pictures continue to reach us from Ukraine, we are appalled and deeply saddened by the situation. Our immediate concern is first and foremost for the people of Ukraine, our colleagues on the ground and peace as a whole.

The situation may mean the ordering and delivery of your car is delayed as a result of the supply chain being interrupted.

We kindly ask for your understanding and for you to keep in touch with your dealership who will do their best to keep you updated every step of the way as we work as a priority to address this situation.

Maybe this is another reason it could unfreeze?
Old 03-02-2022, 09:38 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger2021

What stage were you at when you got this message?
Old 03-02-2022, 09:52 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tiger2021

"Porsche and BMW became the latest carmakers to shut European plants because of a lack of parts from Ukraine, while Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, and Hyundai, which is one of the largest brands in Russia, said they would cease manufacturing in the country. Ford, Renault, and BMW have already closed Russian plants."

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/03...llout-spreads/

If there are critical parts coming from Ukraine, this could last awhile. First world issues in the grand scheme of things, but still.

h/t @wotaskd
Old 03-02-2022, 10:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Primary benefit of PDCC is performance. The car corners flatter and PDCC works well with RAS in allowing the car to pivot hard from center. Personally, I think PDCC is just as impactful as RAS.

The problem is that PDCC is pretty expensive and it's an easy thing to skip. Having now lived with PDCC, I'd definitely pick it over any driver's nannies or Burmester.
I agree, I would skip the adaptive cruise, Innodrive, etc. and get PDCC if it came down to choosing. I actually find in the sport suspension setting with the PDCC button engaged the car rides smoother than in the normal suspension settings with the PDCC in default mode. This is on a TTS so I’m not sure of the differences with the other models.

Quick Reply: PDCC---order won't take on new 992 GTS 4