Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 or AMG GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:32 AM
BubbaMcCranky
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't speak for the 992. I had a 997 C2S and now have a 997 C4S. The C2S was definitely more loose. When you pushed the accelerator down, the front end got very light and it was quite a ride. The C4S is definitely more planted. You can kick its tail out on loose gravel/dirt/snow but the PSM kicks in pretty quickly. On dry pavement, the C4S is not nearly as squarely as the C2S was.

Again, this is for much older versions of the car, but I'd say the C2S was more fun when driving at 8/10'ths or more.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:35 AM
BubbaMcCranky
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Well some say that AWD like a 911 Turbo S is more planted and more boring than a RWD car. RWD is more unpredictable and more fun, etc.
Can't speak for the 992. I had a 997 C2S and now have a 997 C4S. The C2S was definitely more loose. When you pushed the accelerator down, the front end got very light and it was quite a ride. The C4S is definitely more planted. You can kick its tail out on loose gravel/dirt/snow but the PSM kicks in pretty quickly. On dry pavement, the C4S is not nearly as squarely as the C2S was.

Again, this is for much older versions of the car, but I'd say the C2S was more fun when driving at 8/10'ths or more.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:38 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by BubbaMcCranky

The 992 gets a different AWD system that’s considerably more permissive than the older setup.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:52 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
It's true that the AMG GT suspension is stiffer and steering may be sharper. However, that doesn't mean it's any more or less of a sports car. Many of the best sports cars offer supple rides, which helps maintain composure over mid-corner bumps.

I believe the AMG GT has a stiffer suspension to needed to achieve the desired body control given the extra weight and unique, larger footprint.

The general consensus is that a 992 offers slightly superior driving dynamics (lower weight helps) and better steering feel than the AMG GT. But it's very close, and the AMG GT offers better sound and presence. Both are great cars.

Your car is beautiful and I love the AMG GT. I just am surprised so many people think stiff ride = good sports car.
Thats all true. My point is that grand tourers are meant to have a supple ride and cushy seats and low interior noise for long distance comfort. The AMG GT has none of that.

Body control of the AMG GT is excellent in terms of minimal body roll or squat/dive - as you’d expect for a very wide, low, long wheelbase car with a very stiff suspension. It has very noticeably less body roll/dive/squat than my 718 Spyder. However, I find Porsches much easier to control in tight cornering, and perhaps easier to control in general. I find Porsches make you feel more connected to the car, one with the car. On faster wider roads and tracks the differences diminish and the AMG GT gets into its element.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I've driven 992 4S and AMG GT S. Both coupes. Not the exact cars you're asking about, but just ones with a bit more power and roof. GT S feels exciting even just idling and at low speed. Long hood takes time to feel comfortable placing it on the road. More twitchy than 911 (I've driven plenty of RWD 911's and the GT S is 100% more twitchy). 911 feels more balanced. Seating position is more in tune with what I like. Feel like you can push it harder. The AMG GT engine or a derivative of it is found in many cars (C63/E63). 911 engine is unique to the 911. However, the GT engine does feel more special.

You can't go wrong with either. I've dreamed of a 911 since I was a kid. Porsche club and community is more active. Those are important to me.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 01:29 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I've driven 992 4S and AMG GT S. Both coupes. Not the exact cars you're asking about, but just ones with a bit more power and roof. GT S feels exciting even just idling and at low speed. Long hood takes time to feel comfortable placing it on the road. More twitchy than 911 (I've driven plenty of RWD 911's and the GT S is 100% more twitchy). 911 feels more balanced. Seating position is more in tune with what I like. Feel like you can push it harder. The AMG GT engine or a derivative of it is found in many cars (C63/E63). 911 engine is unique to the 911. However, the GT engine does feel more special.

You can't go wrong with either. I've dreamed of a 911 since I was a kid. Porsche club and community is more active. Those are important to me.
That matches my experience with the AMG GT S precisely.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:13 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
It’s front mid engine car. It’s not a front engine car. The engine is located where it is for balance and gives it a 47/53 weight distribution.
I know why the engine is there, I also know why the sheet metal extends well beyond it.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:59 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRBucks
I know why the engine is there, I also know why the sheet metal extends well beyond it.
The front axle is ahead of the engine for weight distribution. There has to be sheet metal extending several feet ahead of the engine for this to work. That's the whole idea of a front-mid engine car. Front overhang beyond the front axle on the AMG GT is fairly minimal.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,538 Likes on 5,062 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBucks
I considered an AMG GT. I feel they are one of the most beautiful cars made in the modern era, and they sound fantastic too. But to me, it is just a really, really nice Mustang. The 3 feet of car that extends beyond the engine is just there for style. And to me that is where it begins and ends. Yes it is beautiful, yes it is fast, and yes it makes all the right noises, but it isn't a 911. When it comes to cars I am a function over form guy, and the 911 is the ultimate automotive expression of that philosophy.
But to each their own. Whatever car you get, good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
I suppose one could say the same thing about the 992 911 (or even the 991 911).

The extra 10-14 inches that hangs out behind the engine is really there just for, I guess(?), style and balance. Since the current 911 (992 and 991) is a mid-rear engine setup.

And, for what it's worth, I believe the length of both cars are approximately the same, with the GT actually having a longer wheelbase than the 911.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:40 AM
AR_Motorwerkz
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Tough choice! Both looks good on BBSs

Quick Reply: 992 or AMG GT