Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 09:38 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A car needs to be able to just start. You should not need to plug in an ICE car to be able to reliably drive after sitting for 1 or 2 weeks. Period.

And, if Porsche had any integrity and honor they'd give people the Porsche labelled CTEK charger with the car - the fact they charge for it is adding insult to injury and simply outrageous given the cost of the cars. Small gestures matter. 993 crs and 996tt...never any issues like this. Had to do coolant pinning, a vacuum leak, and a known 2nd gear fork issue transmission rebuild on the 996tt (poor engineering x 3 on the top model....whatever you want to say about the 996 the tt with leather everywhere was special...and had a lot of issues.....).

Off warranty....no way on these system. What stinks is they sound like they are locking out third party solutions...that is just wrong.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-24-2023 at 09:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
Fullyield (04-25-2023), null (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 10:23 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I've always said and mentioned it to the Regional Mgr. of PNA: "brand loyalty is fickle, and once it's gone it's gone". I'm very quickly getting there

siberian
Old 04-24-2023, 11:54 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Another Battery Story

On March 21 I went for a drive in my 2020 C2S. The lithium battery (on a CTEK charger) showed a full charge when I unhooked it from the charger. Started the car and I immediately had a "Bad Battery" Message in RED. I noticed the volt meter were at 14+ volts. After a few miles the charging rate went to 13.7 and stayed there. After a 60 + mile drive, mostly at highway speeds, the "Bad Battery" was still there. I called the dealer (130 miles away) and the SA said to call Porsche Roadside Assistance and they would arrange for a flatbed to the dealer. The next day the flatbed showed up, a 1 ton dually pickup towing a 24 foot flat trailer. I expressed some doubts to the driver about his rig, but he showed me pics of his rig hauling Ferraris and Lambos (I live close to Sun Valley) so I went ahead and started my car, (no problem), and drove it up the ramp and then helped him tie it down. He called with an update after he dropped the car off at the dealer.

The next day the Dealer SA called and said my car was ready! I asked "You had a battery?", and she said we had 2 and now we're down to 1. but we expect 2 more to come in next week! All the tow charges and repairs were covered by warranty. When I picked up the car a few days later I noticed the new battery seemed to be a bit taller, and the label said that it was made in South Korea. A month later all seems well with the new battery but I am keeping it attached to the CTEK if I'm not planning to drive for a few days.

And as an aside, I took delivery of my car at the Atlanta Performance Center (Great Experience!) on August 25, 2019,. A few days before we were to fly to Atlanta I got a email saying that we might not be able to drive our car home as the car might not be "ready". As I had made Hotel reservations and other plans for the drive back to Idaho I was somewhat pi--ed. I cancelled all our Reservations and we flew to Atlanta a day before delivery. When we were presented the car the "presenter" told us that we would be able to drive our new car home as the parts had just been delivered that morning. After the initial presentation of our car, it was taken away and we were shown the "features" with a different C2S. I did ask our Presenter/Driving Instructor what was wrong with our car and said they were changing the battery as a "precaution".

Last edited by helispud; 04-25-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:22 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

During shipping, the vehicle is set to TRANSPORT mode (in VOF IIRC) which essentially disconnects all non essential systems from the battery. The dealer MUST change that state to normal or whatever the name is (I forget) once the car arrives at the dealership and is prepped for delivery to the customer. Many things are possible from what you describe:

1) TRANSPORT mode was not set in Germany, and given delays between factory and shipping etc. battery died (doubtful)

2) BMS code once again f*cked up (...)

3) Bad LiFePO4 battery (possible)

4) ...

The dealer knew what was up, but hell will freeze over before they share anything with the customer.

siberian
Old 04-25-2023, 01:25 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
should be covered under warranty. Mine was the same situation and I didn't pay a dime. Biggest problem was finding a new one, for which I got lucky.
Covered! 🙏🏼... But not as lucky. The wait begins to get a battery....

Last edited by Malakas; 04-25-2023 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:57 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

So is this an issue with the battery that comes with the Rear Axle Steering OR is this an issue with all batteries?
Old 04-25-2023, 02:01 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
I believe my battery drain problem is now fixed after the bulletin/fix in the DIY channel was implemented. (2021 C4S). Just left the car for 10-days in the garage and went on a trip in my RV. When I got back... the power was still on and engine fired up immediately! Previously it would have died after 2-3 days. I think I can relax now.

Trying to find your previous post. How was this fixed?
Old 04-25-2023, 02:21 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think he's referring to TSB# 2229. Thanks for confirming @aquatone

siberian
Old 04-25-2023, 03:55 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
So is this an issue with the battery that comes with the Rear Axle Steering OR is this an issue with all batteries?
TSB #2229 applies to 2019 Cayenne and 2020-2021 992s irrespective of battery types and contrary to my wonderful and only dealer in AK who insists it's VIN dependent (since they refuse to do the work) - it isn't.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
itrocks4u (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:35 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
LOL, the banter back and forth. Who Cares? What someone DOES with their 992 doesn't affect you - it only affects them. Post your opinion, people will either go with it or not. Then leave it be - the back and forth sways no one.

and,,,,,Bob's Your Uncle.
i know right? its a battery all! if the OP has owned multiple porsches surely the must be a trickle charger somewhere in the garage?

anyway, i am more interested in whether the dealer replaced it under warranty or if he had to pay out of pocket?
Old 04-25-2023, 07:46 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,503 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Fair question. There are two issues: the drain and the battery replacement. The parasitic drain applies to all batteries which is fixed for all batteries by the software update mentioned by Siberian.

However, the resolving the consequences of the parasitic drain depends on your battery type and whether it needs replacement. If your battery is AGM, battery replacement is quick, easy and $200 even if not covered by warranty. No issue. You can buy a replacement AGM battery anywhere. The problem is battery replacement on cars with the LI -ON battery which would be cars with RAS, Canadian cars and T’s. The LI-ON battery is proprietary to Porsche so cannot be replaced with a third-party battery unlike the AGM battery cars. Because of supply chain issues, the replacement proprietary LI-ON battery often takes 2 months to get from Germany unless you get lucky and the dealer has one. So, car is out of service for two months because of battery??? If not covered by warranty, the Porsche replacement LI-ON battery is $2500. To rub salt in the wound, some Porsche dealers have reportedly not covered the discharged battery under warranty if the car is not driven 6000 miles a year.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:16 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Precisely, thanks @Fullyield !

It's folks who don't read the extensive thread(s) written on the subject, they get a snippet or someone makes a comment and then they expect the answer without understanding the issues.

siberian
Old 04-25-2023, 12:55 PM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

Leaving my story here for reference:

C4S with RAS

Live in the Pacific north west area -- didn't drive the car more than 1-2 days a month during November.

Late november went to start the car, it wouldn't start. Got someone to jump the car -- it started, but had a ton of warnings flash while driving (especially when pushing a bit). Got back home after a few min, turned it off, wouldn't start again.

Towed to Porsche Bellevue. They mentioned that the battery was drained all the way, and now would no longer re-charge.

They were very gracious in replacing it under warranty (I was worried about the price point based on this thread). However it took 2.5 months to get the battery and get it installed.

I've since bought a battery tender, and thinking about getting winter tires
Old 04-25-2023, 01:07 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bkknight369
Leaving my story here for reference:

C4S with RAS

Live in the Pacific north west area -- didn't drive the car more than 1-2 days a month during November.

Late november went to start the car, it wouldn't start. Got someone to jump the car -- it started, but had a ton of warnings flash while driving (especially when pushing a bit). Got back home after a few min, turned it off, wouldn't start again.

Towed to Porsche Bellevue. They mentioned that the battery was drained all the way, and now would no longer re-charge.

They were very gracious in replacing it under warranty (I was worried about the price point based on this thread). However it took 2.5 months to get the battery and get it installed.

I've since bought a battery tender, and thinking about getting winter tires
What year is you car? Do you know if the dealer applied the software update referenced in TSB# 2229? 2.5 months is an eternity when you're unable to drive the car, fingers crossed you're good to go now!
Old 04-25-2023, 01:13 PM
911vsC2s
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Fair question. There are two issues: the drain and the battery replacement. The parasitic drain applies to all batteries which is fixed for all batteries by the software update mentioned by Siberian.

However, the resolving the consequences of the parasitic drain depends on your battery type and whether it needs replacement. If your battery is AGM, battery replacement is quick, easy and $200 even if not covered by warranty. No issue. You can buy a replacement AGM battery anywhere. The problem is battery replacement on cars with the LI -ON battery which would be cars with RAS, Canadian cars and T’s. The LI-ON battery is proprietary to Porsche so cannot be replaced with a third-party battery unlike the AGM battery cars. Because of supply chain issues, the replacement proprietary LI-ON battery often takes 2 months to get from Germany unless you get lucky and the dealer has one. So, car is out of service for two months because of battery??? If not covered by warranty, the Porsche replacement LI-ON battery is $2500. To rub salt in the wound, some Porsche dealers have reportedly not covered the discharged battery under warranty if the car is not driven 6000 miles a year.
so for LI-ON folks, is the bottom line that you need the Porsche trickle charger if let’s say your car is only a weekend car? If so, what model?

no battery issues so far, so maybe it’s just some of the batteries.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!