Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 PSE Programming IS Possible, I think

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 09:11 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 749 Posts

On mine there is a distinct difference on vs off - Something must not be right - did you download the PDF I had somewhere with the instructions for the service tech. When I had mine done they walked step by step and it worked fine.

Old 12-28-2023, 01:18 AM
mahyarv14
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I had my 992 Targa 4S (without PSE) done a few months back, I posted on it. Based on my previous 992 C4S coupe with PSE that I just traded in, when I got the targa - I would say it is about 80% as loud as my 992 with PSE.

I do have a question for you. My dealer programmed the 1st "favorite" toggle switch to activate the PSE (as well as it does it automatically when in sport/sports+).. But I cannot program my 2nd position toggle switch - if I hit it, it just says need to program it. But cannot on the PCM screen. Is this the case for you?

I can however program the steering wheel favorite with no issue.
I have the same problem with my second shortcut button... Did you figure it out?
Old 12-28-2023, 10:18 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mahyarv14
I have the same problem with my second shortcut button... Did you figure it out?
Purchased my 23 C4S w/out PSE as I don’t care for the oval exhaust. I decided to try activating the PSE via PIWIS and was successful in hearing a mild difference as well as being able to now activate via toggle switch (1st diamond) or Chrono **** on steering wheel (sport/sport plus). Unfortunately, I lost functionality of the 2nd Diamond.

Turns out there is a different switch assy to use with PSE that has the exhaust logo in position two. I ordered the assy from a company that had one in England for $100 USD (excluding shipping). Switch assy R&R was not difficult at all but did require removal of panel on passenger side of dash along with the long piece of trim and cup holder.

I also found a PSE muffler ($1000) on eBay and decided to go with a PSE muffler as well.

Bumper removal and muffler install were easy as was the swap of the 2 valves on the muffler.

Programed the new switch assy with PIWIS and everything works as intended. No impact with PSE muffler exhausting on to/through Non-PSE exhaust pipes. 🤗

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwarz992C4S:
AlterZgo (12-30-2023), null (12-29-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:47 AM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
Turns out there is a different switch assy to use with PSE that has the exhaust logo in position two. I ordered the assy from a company that had one in England for $100 USD (excluding shipping).
Any chance you can share the part number or vendor?

Programed the new switch assy with PIWIS and everything works as intended.
Do you think the same would have been true had you not installed the PSE muffler, too? Is, did you see anything different between the PSE and non-PSE mufflers that might affect how the valves interface with the switches, coding, or PCM?

Thanks for sharing your experience and information!!
​​​​​​​
Old 12-28-2023, 12:46 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,522 Likes on 548 Posts

With M-Tuner we can open up your exhaust valves 100% of the way on even non-PSE equipped factory cars.

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (12-30-2023), Galvano (04-05-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 12:28 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by null
Any chance you can share the part number or vendor?

Do you think the same would have been true had you not installed the PSE muffler, too? Is, did you see anything different between the PSE and non-PSE mufflers that might affect how the valves interface with the switches, coding, or PCM?

Thanks for sharing your experience and information!!
The PN installed was 992-941-209-CJ-TER (Center Console Switch Unit) I just checked locally and it’s new here in the US for ~$574. Mine was much less but probably an opened package or installated item (probably returned). Check with the salvage yards and make sure you can return.

I had the same outcome as you with a switch assy with 2 diamonds. I did the software activation without the new switch first and could easily tell the difference. Drive like that for a few days and the loss of the diamond function agitated my OCD side so I replaced the switch (still had non PSE muffler installed). Worked perfectly but then I saw the PSE muffler available and said what the hell…Seller was willing to take a return if there was interference with the quad tips vs the oval tips.

There was no need to recode for the muffler as the valve motors were swapped and there is no difference in valve operation/part number between PSE muffler and non-PSE muffler. Electrically, it’s the same on both. The sound tone is lower, and louder with the PSE muffler and the larger of the two exhaust openings on each side are slightly larger with the PSE muffler.

I could have gone a different path but only wanted OEM design and functionality while retaining the quad tips.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwarz992C4S:
aggie57 (12-29-2023), null (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 03:02 AM
null
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Schwarz992C4S , for taking the time to provide your thoughtful and informative reply. Much obliged!!
The following 2 users liked this post by null:
aggie57 (12-29-2023), Schwarz992C4S (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:27 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
With M-Tuner we can open up your exhaust valves 100% of the way on even non-PSE equipped factory cars.

-Charles@M
as a standalone offering without the stage 1? I would be interested
The following users liked this post:
Faded9 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:18 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Worked perfectly but then I saw the PSE muffler available and said what the hell…Seller was willing to take a return if there was interference with the quad tips vs the oval tips.

I could have gone a different path but only wanted OEM design and functionality while retaining the quad tips.
Thanks for posting about your experiences. Very informative! With respect to the PSE vs non-PSE muffler, do they have the same spacing where the muffler pipes face the exhaust tips? I too much prefer the quad tips over the ovals and I have stock PSE. I was wondering if I can just change the rear exhaust openings and the oval tips to quad tips and it would clear my stock PSE muffler. Appreciate any insight you can give on this. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:08 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
... do they have the same spacing where the muffler pipes face the exhaust tips?
I recall Stef from Europipe measuring the distance and they were the same, both with a 130mm spread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1313861-add-pse-with-base-quad-exhaust-possible.html#post18308116
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:15 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> as a standalone offering without the stage 1? I would be interested

Some ppl here call it ‘Stage 0’: change PSE, cold start, auto-stop and other behaviors without changing engine performance. Same price though. IMHO if the only thing you want to change is valve behavior then it’s cheaper to get the just the Cargraphic controller, but M is awesome if you have other needs.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:16 AM
mahyarv14
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased my 23 C4S w/out PSE as I don’t care for the oval exhaust. I decided to try activating the PSE via PIWIS and was successful in hearing a mild difference as well as being able to now activate via toggle switch (1st diamond) or Chrono **** on steering wheel (sport/sport plus). Unfortunately, I lost functionality of the 2nd Diamond.

Turns out there is a different switch assy to use with PSE that has the exhaust logo in position two. I ordered the assy from a company that had one in England for $100 USD (excluding shipping). Switch assy R&R was not difficult at all but did require removal of panel on passenger side of dash along with the long piece of trim and cup holder.

I also found a PSE muffler ($1000) on eBay and decided to go with a PSE muffler as well.

Bumper removal and muffler install were easy as was the swap of the 2 valves on the muffler.

Programed the new switch assy with PIWIS and everything works as intended. No impact with PSE muffler exhausting on to/through Non-PSE exhaust pipes. 🤗

Awesome, thanks for the explanation! What did you have to recode again, exactly, to get the new exhaust switch to work? My dealer does my coding and I want to know what to tell them to code if I retrofit the exhaust switch.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:07 PM
MiamiDad
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

are your tunes available at dealers (i.e. champion motorsports)? or are they only available through m engineering directly. asking because of factory warranty concerns. TY.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:12 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,522 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiDad
are your tunes available at dealers (i.e. champion motorsports)? or are they only available through m engineering directly. asking because of factory warranty concerns. TY.
Yes, we tune almost all of Champion's cars. They are down the street from us actually.

We also just released M-Coder which allows you to do the PSE valve mod, and other features, while retaining Stage 0 power. The PSE valve mod can be applied to cars that have PSE already equipped, or cars that haven't been coded for it. Just go to "sport" mode and the valves will open up.

-Charles@M

Last edited by M Engineering; 01-24-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:21 PM
MiamiDad
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you....my car does NOT have PSE nor Sport Chrono. I am interested in the Valve mod..

Wondering if any of the tunes increase the rpm on launch, or add launch control? I don't have "launch control" due to lack of Sports Plus....the so called "Soft Launch "(although i have only tried it once) has a lower RPM threshold than the launch control on 992's with sports chrono.

also, Do you have a sales rep at champion motorsports that you recommend? My understanding is that mods done with them dont f up the warranty. (note: my car is from champion).

Quick Reply: 992 PSE Programming IS Possible, I think