992 AWD question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 09:01 AM
Epeeist
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 992 AWD question

Hi guys,
I've been searching for but no clue yet.
Do you know the power distribution of Porsche 992 AWD system b/w front and rear wheels?
For example, for Carrera 4 or Carrera 4S, what is the maximum power allocated to the front wheels when needed?

For some other makers, most of power is allocated to rear wheels in normal condition and when desired, the awd system sends as high as 50% (or 40%) of powers to front wheels.

I cannot find any detailed information for Porsche AWD system.

Thanks,

Popular Reply

01-23-2022, 10:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

In normal conditions/driving, almost no power is directed to the front wheels. It’s very much a rear-biased system. As you do lose grip at the rear, the system then begins to variably/incrementally direct (up to 50%) to the front wheels. The rate at which that happens depends upon your selected drive mode.

Per Porsche’s tech notes, the 992 AWD logic implements a drift mode — yes, you can hang out the rear on an AWD 992. Unlike some automakers, Porsche doesn’t include a dedicated “drift mode” option in the PCM. It just works.

The 992’s AWD is supposed to be “all new” over the 991. It certainly feels different when pushed, but I attribute a component of that to software.

If you’re on the fence with going AWD, a few thoughts…
  1. It’s the only way to get a limited slip diff on the Base Carrera, when spec’d with PTV+. Yes, all of those RWD Base Carreras are open diff and this is why you occasionally see posts about rear brake wear — that’s the “e diff” slowing you down.
  2. The weight difference is approximately a full tank of gas. A RWD 992 with a full extended tank actually weighs more than an AWD 992.
  3. Wet mode is substantially more sophisticated on the AWD cars if you plan on driving your car in the wet.
  4. The system delivers benefits in all weather conditions — dry, wet, snow, loose surfaces, etc. This is why the AWD cars are quicker off of the line and beastly in the corners. It’s not just for people where it snows.

Now, I am fully aware that some people just prefer RWD and that’s totally fine. As with manual over PDK, it’s an experience preference.

There will be someone that chimes in about steering feel thanks to Henry Catchpole’s throwaway comment in the Carfection 992 launch video. To be clear, all 992s have excellent steering feel.

Misconceptions around how the AWD system works has led to heated arguments in the past on the RennList. Traditionalists dismiss the cars despite the reality that Porsche has been making AWD 911s for coming up to 35 years. AWD has been an option for 911s for most of the model’s history.

If you think that you might be able to utilize the benefits of the 992 AWD system, go for it. It’s a great system. If you’re building to a budget, you can also easily skip it and still have a great experience.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:09 AM
Epeeist
Intermediate

I just found the following link for Porsche Traction Management (PTM). Does the red colored sentence mean, PTM sometimes sends 100% of power to the front axle?

The technical basic function of Porsche Traction Management is the same across all model lines: As with a conventional rear-wheel drive, engine power is transmitted directly to the rear axle via the transmission. In principle, this means that every Porsche features the easy-to-control handling of a rear-wheel-drive. A second downforce on the transmission output is directed to a multi-plate clutch, via which
the front axle drive can be engaged on a fully variable basis. With this hang-on system, two features in particular truly demonstrate the expertise involved: the intelligent control algorithm and the responsiveness of the system.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/innovation/engineering/porsche-traction-management-ptm-all-wheel-drive-agility-stability-traction-driving-dynamics-15050.html

Last edited by Epeeist; 01-23-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:23 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

This article from Car & Driver from 2020 claims
“up to 50 per cent” shuffled from rear to front
The following users liked this post:
Epeeist (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Epeeist
Intermediate

Thanks a lot for the article link.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:01 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In normal conditions/driving, almost no power is directed to the front wheels. It’s very much a rear-biased system. As you do lose grip at the rear, the system then begins to variably/incrementally direct (up to 50%) to the front wheels. The rate at which that happens depends upon your selected drive mode.

Per Porsche’s tech notes, the 992 AWD logic implements a drift mode — yes, you can hang out the rear on an AWD 992. Unlike some automakers, Porsche doesn’t include a dedicated “drift mode” option in the PCM. It just works.

The 992’s AWD is supposed to be “all new” over the 991. It certainly feels different when pushed, but I attribute a component of that to software.

1. It’s the only way to get a limited slip diff on the Base Carrera, when spec’d with PTV+. Yes, all of those RWD Base Carreras are open diff and this is why you occasionally see posts about rear brake wear — that’s the “e diff” slowing you down.
  2. The weight difference is approximately a full tank of gas. A RWD 992 with a full extended tank actually weighs more than an AWD 992.
  3. Wet mode is substantially more sophisticated on the AWD cars if you plan on driving your car in the wet.
  4. The system delivers benefits in all weather conditions — dry, wet, snow, loose surfaces, etc. This is why the AWD cars are quicker off of the line and beastly in the corners. It’s not just for people where it snows.

Now, I am fully aware that some people just prefer RWD and that’s totally fine. As with manual over PDK, it’s an experience preference.

There will be someone that chimes in about steering feel thanks to Henry Catchpole’s throwaway comment in the Carfection 992 launch video. To be clear, all 992s have excellent steering feel.

Misconceptions around how the AWD system works has led to heated arguments in the past on the RennList. Traditionalists dismiss the cars despite the reality that Porsche has been making AWD 911s for coming up to 35 years. AWD has been an option for 911s for most of the model’s history.

If you think that you might be able to utilize the benefits of the 992 AWD system, go for it. It’s a great system. If you’re building to a budget, you can also easily skip it and still have a great experience.
The following 10 users liked this post by detansinn:
Doppel D (05-06-2024), Epeeist (01-23-2022), Go Bruins (01-23-2022), MG997 (01-23-2022), Moosedoc (01-25-2022), Richard_Wallace (01-23-2022), STIGETTE (01-24-2022), Toybox (01-23-2022), vg247 (01-08-2023), Yojeffo (01-23-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:21 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

A perfect description by @detansinn . My own limited experience with my Targa 4 with PVT+ echoes it. Cornering at speed is when I feel it the most. I have a hard time explaining what it does. I can definitely feel the car dynamic change ever so slightly, with the grip and power delivery making curves really fun.

I do notice more brake dust on the rears than the fronts. That's just after a few hundred miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
detansinn (01-23-2022), Epeeist (01-23-2022), MG997 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:23 AM
Epeeist
Intermediate

Default Very detailed, sophisticated answer!

thanks a lot for your very detailed, sophisticated answer.

I did not no there is an improvement (or change you may want to call) in 992's awd compared with 991's because the latest official information on porsch awd system was in 2018.

anyway thanks again.

cheers!

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/inno...ics-15050.html
Originally Posted by detansinn

detansinn (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 10:32 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

From the 992 Technical Workshop materials...

Epeeist (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 03:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,537 Likes on 5,061 Posts

In the 991 generation, the C4/S had a more communicative and truer feeling EPS steering than its 2WD counterparts.

By all accounts, that's no longer true with the 992 generation.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:53 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
In the 991 generation, the C4/S had a more communicative and truer feeling EPS steering than its 2WD counterparts.

By all accounts, that's no longer true with the 992 generation.
Pulls pin…lobs grenade…

Quick Reply: 992 AWD question