Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on buying / registering a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022 | 09:18 AM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Default Question on buying / registering a car out of state

I have been trying to get an allocation for about 6 months. I found an out of state dealer that claims will be able to get me an allocation for a C2 or a C4 in Feb as they expect to receive one and I am the only one on the waitlist for either. Unlike my local dealers, no ADM. The catch is I have to register the car in that state. I do have a bunch of relatives in that state including my dad. Any suggestions on the most efficient way to do this? I assume I can’t be the buyer of record and just register it to my dad’s house. Do I actually have to have my dad buy/register and then buy it from him so I can then register in my state? That’s not ideal because there I believe there is a bit of a resale hit on having a 2 owner car. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing an alternative. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:28 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Firstly, why would you have to register it in that state? That is odd, as I have bought several cars out of state (new and including porsche) and have not had that "request". That is ridiculous, they must have some kind of quota on local/instate sales or something.

Secondly, the big problem with that is (if your dad were to be the purchaser, and you buy it from him) you are going to get doubled up on paying taxes (once in your dad's state) then in yours. Which probably eats away at any ADM you would pay in your state.

Give Porsche Beachwood in Cleveland a call (Kyle Roesch) - they may have a MSRP allocation coming up, and they will not make you go through this in state registration BS.
The following users liked this post:
Gohoos (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:38 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

That does sound strange but there is absolutely no reason that you can’t buy the car register it in your name with yiur dad’s adress. Of course you will pay the local state and/or property taxes. You can immediately bring it to your home state which like most states likely give you a grace period to transfer the car over. You would only be charged a registration fee and not have to pay sales tax again.
exactly what happens when people move from one state to another.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:42 AM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Firstly, why would you have to register it in that state? That is odd, as I have bought several cars out of state (new and including porsche) and have not had that "request". That is ridiculous, they must have some kind of quota on local/instate sales or something.

Secondly, the big problem with that is (if your dad were to be the purchaser, and you buy it from him) you are going to get doubled up on paying taxes (once in your dad's state) then in yours. Which probably eats away at any ADM you would pay in your state.

Give Porsche Beachwood in Cleveland a call (Kyle Roesch) - they may have a MSRP allocation coming up, and they will not make you go through this in state registration BS.
I have heard this from some, but not all out of state dealers. I’m not sure if it is a push from Porsche NA or if they are doing it on their own because with local business they get the trade in, service etc. I’ve never bought a used car before, so I didn’t realize in a private transaction I would have to pay sales tax. That is very inefficient and would make this pointless.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:44 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohniner
That does sound strange but there is absolutely no reason that you can’t buy the car register it in your name with yiur dad’s adress. Of course you will pay the local state and/or property taxes. You can immediately bring it to your home state which like most states likely give you a grace period to transfer the car over. You would only be charged a registration fee and not have to pay sales tax again.
Unless the OP wants it in his name, then there would be a transfer and thus taxes. Unless you did a zero sale, which has its own problems.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:45 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ohniner
In Georgia regardless that you paid sales tax in another state when you register a car you pay “Ad Valorem” tax (sales tax) on the current value of the vehicle.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:55 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gohoos
I have heard this from some, but not all out of state dealers. I’m not sure if it is a push from Porsche NA or if they are doing it on their own because with local business they get the trade in, service etc. I’ve never bought a used car before, so I didn’t realize in a private transaction I would have to pay sales tax. That is very inefficient and would make this pointless.
Yes when you transfer the title and then register in your state, you will have to denote sales price to you from your Dad, and pay taxes on that amount.
Old 01-20-2022 | 10:44 AM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Yes when you transfer the title and then register in your state, you will have to denote sales price to you from your Dad, and pay taxes on that amount.
Yeah, I did some digging and in NY this is definitely the case. I think some other states have different rules. I briefly looked into whether he could gift it to me for a later payment and or we could put it place some sort of loan arrangement but I think those don’t work with the IRS.
Old 01-20-2022 | 11:53 AM
rm4enjoyit
Advanced

Sheepishly, I have purchased a vehicle from out of state twice. In both cases I couldn't find the vehicle in my state.

It is rather easy depending on where you live. The dealer gives you the title transfer, purchase agreement and temporary tag. You take that to the DMV and pay state tax when you pick up the new tag. It is very simple in NM but I assume it's much more difficult in other states. Wiring the funds across state boundaries takes a bit of faith. One other thing to be aware of, the dealer in your state may give you a cold shoulder when taking the vehicle in for service. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2022 | 12:28 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gohoos
I have been trying to get an allocation for about 6 months. I found an out of state dealer that claims will be able to get me an allocation for a C2 or a C4 in Feb as they expect to receive one and I am the only one on the waitlist for either. Unlike my local dealers, no ADM. The catch is I have to register the car in that state. I do have a bunch of relatives in that state including my dad. Any suggestions on the most efficient way to do this? I assume I can’t be the buyer of record and just register it to my dad’s house. Do I actually have to have my dad buy/register and then buy it from him so I can then register in my state? That’s not ideal because there I believe there is a bit of a resale hit on having a 2 owner car. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing an alternative. Appreciate any suggestions.
I don't think any state will let you register a vehicle there unless you can prove residency in that state. If your dad "buys" the car and then sells it to you then you will have sales tax due on the fair market value of the car - ie. if your dad sells the car to you at way below market price they will not accept that price when registering the car for sales tax purposes. Also if there is financing involved, the lien will have to be released before your dad can sell you the car. Overall a very messy situation and will be much easier and likely cheaper just to pay a small adm on a C2 or C4.

Last edited by malba2366; 01-20-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2022 | 01:28 PM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by malba2366
I don't think any state will let you register a vehicle there unless you can prove residency in that state. If your dad "buys" the car and then sells it to you then you will have sales tax due on the fair market value of the car - ie. if your dad sells the car to you at way below market price they will not accept that price when registering the car for sales tax purposes. Also if there is financing involved, the lien will have to be released before your dad can sell you the car. Overall a very messy situation and will be much easier and likely cheaper just to pay a small adm on a C2 or C4.
Thanks. Yeah at this point I would pay a small ADM. But there is also the issue of getting an allocation. The lists in my area are quite long for even the base variants….
Old 01-20-2022 | 03:03 PM
Drew46
Drifting

I would sigh the purchase agreement using your father's address as nobody will bother checking it. When the car is on the ship from Germany, notify you dealership that you had to relocate and are now living in another state with a driver's license in that state. There are a number of different ways to register it in your state after that. The can give you temporary tags (in some states) a mentioned above, they can register it on your state for you, or in a worst case scenario, they can ship the care and title to you without registering it and you can go to your local motor vehicle departments and register it.
Old 01-20-2022 | 03:36 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Drew46
I would sigh the purchase agreement using your father's address as nobody will bother checking it. When the car is on the ship from Germany, notify you dealership that you had to relocate and are now living in another state with a driver's license in that state. There are a number of different ways to register it in your state after that. The can give you temporary tags (in some states) a mentioned above, they can register it on your state for you, or in a worst case scenario, they can ship the care and title to you without registering it and you can go to your local motor vehicle departments and register it.
Seems like the dealer actually wants the car permanently registered in that state. I have been told by a dealership sales manager that I contacted that Porsche is pushing dealers to sell in their "local" market; others have said that dealers do not get credit for a sale (which determines future allocations) to an out of market customer.
Old 01-20-2022 | 03:47 PM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Seems like the dealer actually wants the car permanently registered in that state. I have been told by a dealership sales manager that I contacted that Porsche is pushing dealers to sell in their "local" market; others have said that dealers do not get credit for a sale (which determines future allocations) to an out of market customer.
Yeah, I don't know what is driving it, but DC/MD/VA dealers seem to all have this policy. Economically it makes sense for them to focus on their market since demand exceeds supply and if cars are in their market they are more likely to get trade in and service profit. Dealers I have contacted in other states don't seem to care at all. One dealer said 50% of their sales are out of state.
Old 01-20-2022 | 04:46 PM
Drew46
Drifting

Maybe. I think all the dealer wants is to stay on PNA's good side. If you give them a plausible story, they may be happy to proceed. Given the long waiting lists, I can't believe that PNA expects a dealer to boot a person off their list if they happen to move in the many months of waiting. So you may just need to give the dealer just enough cover to think the can swing it. Hey, it can't hurt to ask. I would rather do that than play games with the tax man.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Question on buying / registering a car out of state