992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on buying / registering a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022 | 04:56 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Just bought a new 911 in NV and registered it in AZ no drama. Paid AZ sales tax and registration, had to go to AZ DMV. Las Vegas dealer gave me a 30 day temporary plate.

Last edited by Mark S; 01-20-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2022 | 06:32 PM
F8Driver
Pro

This may apply to only my state, but I've done two out of state purchases. The dealer charged no sales tax. When I registered the vehicle in state, I paid the sales tax at the prevailing local rate. My sales tax rate is 5% and the car tags are astronomical, approx 1% of MSRP or HIGHER (that rate goes down incrementally for 10 years), I know of no higher fee for license plates. I don't think you should have to pay sales tax for two different states, but given the progressive nature of some states, it could well be.

I've got my deposit on a C2S in a neighboring state. Sales tax is 4% vice 5%. Tags are approx 1/4 of local fees. My son is a resident of that neighboring state and I will title the car in both our names and use his address for domicile. My insurance company will insure for my residence (higher, oh well) and could care less where I bought the car, whose name/address is on the title in addition to mine, etc. So, to be semi-legal you'd probably need to list your Dad on the sales documents, title, whatever; but the dealer or the state could care less who signs the check.
Old 01-20-2022 | 06:44 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F8Driver
This may apply to only my state, but I've done two out of state purchases. The dealer charged no sales tax. When I registered the vehicle in state, I paid the sales tax at the prevailing local rate. My sales tax rate is 5% and the car tags are astronomical, approx 1% of MSRP or HIGHER (that rate goes down incrementally for 10 years), I know of no higher fee for license plates. I don't think you should have to pay sales tax for two different states, but given the progressive nature of some states, it could well be.

I've got my deposit on a C2S in a neighboring state. Sales tax is 4% vice 5%. Tags are approx 1/4 of local fees. My son is a resident of that neighboring state and I will title the car in both our names and use his address for domicile. My insurance company will insure for my residence (higher, oh well) and could care less where I bought the car, whose name/address is on the title in addition to mine, etc. So, to be semi-legal you'd probably need to list your Dad on the sales documents, title, whatever; but the dealer or the state could care less who signs the check.
1% of MSRP for tags...WTF!
Old 01-20-2022 | 08:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bought a 992 in CT, but they insisted on registering the car (in AK with AK plates) what the paperwork showed when I received them was a 944 given their absolute attention to detail so they could pocket a few hundred bucks (company policy)...

I had to go down myself and re-register the car but DMV here didn't even make me pay for the corrected registration docs as everyone wanted to see a 2021 944...Wish I could have taped the scene... "you just bought a 2021 944?" At which point a couple of other folks tending to business in next cubicles came over and "I thought those went out some years ago (decades).... And you bought this from a dealer, where was that?" Yep definitely told them who the dealer was just in case.

I've always bought my vehicles out of State even when we lived in Hawaii, but I never registered the car other than in the State I reside.

No issues in AK, HI.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:12 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

This is a dealership thing, not a state law thing. You can buy a car out of state, and have the dealer send the tax withholding to the correct local tax authority and give you a temp tag and then you handle the registration locally. There’s no reason to register the car temporarily in the wrong state. That will cost you money.

I suspect these dealers are trying to keep their out-of-region sales stats under control for PCNA, and are basically asking you to jump through a bunch of hoops and pay extra fees for their convenience
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:27 PM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
This is a dealership thing, not a state law thing. You can buy a car out of state, and have the dealer send the tax withholding to the correct local tax authority and give you a temp tag and then you handle the registration locally. There’s no reason to register the car temporarily in the wrong state. That will cost you money.

I suspect these dealers are trying to keep their out-of-region sales stats under control for PCNA, and are basically asking you to jump through a bunch of hoops and pay extra fees for their convenience
Yes, to be clear, the dealer policy is local sales only. Not sure if this is PCNA or if the dealer is doing this on their own. I volunteered registering there since the dealer has no one on waitlist for the base. What I didn't realize is that by doing this I pay sales taxes twice. So, not a great idea unless someone has a clever strategy to avoid double tax.
Old 01-20-2022 | 09:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep and their due diligence cost me 8 weeks for something I could do in 15 minutes with an appointment 4 days hence due to COVID for less than a third of the price. Just more last minute added costs and frustrations.

siberian
Old 01-21-2022 | 02:18 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

I live in CA, purchased the car in PA, and had it delivered to the LA Porsche Experience Center. The PA dealer sent me a PA title with my name and CA address on it along with a temporary registration document and tag. I'll head to the DMV next week and title/register it in CA. I didn't pay PA sales tax, but I'll pay CA tax when I register it. I did the same thing when I bought my Mach E in November. The only stipulation in CA is you must register it in CA within 20 days of it entering the state or you'll pay a penalty.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022 | 08:49 AM
txpackers
Racer

Originally Posted by audi4t
In Georgia regardless that you paid sales tax in another state when you register a car you pay “Ad Valorem” tax (sales tax) on the current value of the vehicle.
This was quite a surprise I got when I moved to GA in 2015. I even called some car dealers to see if they knew a way around it. The best suggestion given is to trade my cars in and buy something new. Then I would only be charged the ad valorem tax on the cost difference. I didn’t go that route and ended up paying close to $5,000 to get the chance to live in GA. It put a bad taste in my mouth for the state that never went away for a variety of reasons.
Old 01-21-2022 | 09:01 AM
Gohoos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F8Driver

this is really interesting. And there is nothing you current state can do to prevent? What happens when registration or inspection needs to be renewed?
Old 01-21-2022 | 09:27 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by txpackers
This was quite a surprise I got when I moved to GA in 2015. I even called some car dealers to see if they knew a way around it. The best suggestion given is to trade my cars in and buy something new. Then I would only be charged the ad valorem tax on the cost difference. I didn’t go that route and ended up paying close to $5,000 to get the chance to live in GA. It put a bad taste in my mouth for the state that never went away for a variety of reasons.
Yes we moved to Ga in 2014 - I had to pay AVT on a new Mercedes and a new Lexus after I had already paid sales tax in Ct
Old 01-21-2022 | 09:31 AM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by malba2366
1% of MSRP for tags...WTF!
Same thing in Iowa - if you keep the vehicle long enough (it takes a LONG time) it does incrementally go down.

Quick Reply: Question on buying / registering a car out of state