Sponsored by:

Ioniser

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022 | 09:26 AM
john30
Advanced

Default Ioniser

Hello everyone, hope you're all well.

I am finalizing the build for the 992 that I'll be getting and the final small decision I have is whether or not to include the Ioniser. The price to add it is cheap anyway but I'm more concerned about other things.

1. Does it actually work? I do have some allergies at times so I wouldn't mind getting it at all if it actually works.
2. Would it require any further or additional maintenance at all during the next 5, 10, or 15 years? Basically I don't want to get it if it will need a repair or maintenance or add any issues at all to the car no matter how small it is.
3. Does it work anything like regular air purifiers that people buy for homes? Because I believe even these need the filter to be changed every once in a while.
4. Does it need to be turned on any time we would like to use it? Or does it need to be turned on once and it will always stay that way? Or does it not even need to be turned on at all and works automatically?

Thank you very much.
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:20 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by john30

I am finalizing the build for the 992 that I'll be getting and the final small decision I have is whether or not to include the Ioniser. The price to add it is cheap anyway but I'm more concerned about other things.

1. Does it actually work? I do have some allergies at times so I wouldn't mind getting it at all if it actually works.
2. Would it require any further or additional maintenance at all during the next 5, 10, or 15 years? Basically I don't want to get it if it will need a repair or maintenance or add any issues at all to the car no matter how small it is.
3. Does it work anything like regular air purifiers that people buy for homes? Because I believe even these need the filter to be changed every once in a while.
4. Does it need to be turned on any time we would like to use it? Or does it need to be turned on once and it will always stay that way? Or does it not even need to be turned on at all and works automatically?

Thank you very much.
There was a thread on this topic a few months back. One of the posters seemed to know a lot about ionizers in cars, and no, they don;’t have replaceable filters - ie., no maintenance required). I have the ionizer in my car and can’t honestly say I smell/sense any difference in the air quality….however, some other folks said it help them in regions of the West that were experiencing forest fires. I’m sure it helps in situations of poor air quality, and for the price, it’s a no bringer, IMO.
Old 01-21-2022 | 10:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by john30

Thank you very much.
Do not waste your money on it. Nobody can notice a difference.
Old 01-21-2022 | 11:45 AM
Skarz
Instructor

I work in the automotive hvac field. In the future, there will be ionizers that air in the airstream in front of the cabin air filters, and that type will yield improved filtration, as the filter will be electrostatically charged and when tiny particles are ionized, the will get attracted to, and captured by the filter. Most automotive ionizers today simply include an ionizer that goes in the airstream downstream of the filter. So ions are added to particles in the air…..some small quantity of these ionized particles may get attracted to the plastic of ducts, outlets or the instrument panel, but, in my opinion, it is more of a placebo affect. Not to mention the crazy price of the feature! I do not know which type is in the 992, but I think it is the old version, as I am unaware of any of the new technology being used yet. I could be wrong on this point, however……
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:54 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I'd spec it .. and did. The thread from a few weeks ago was very convincing.

Quick Reply: Ioniser