Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

36k mile report

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022 | 02:27 PM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schuverde
I'm currently number 3 on the allocation waitlist for a C2. Also on the list for a C4S but that could be years before I see one. I plan on doing the multiple state runs as you've done. I'm sensitive to loading the car up with options that I really don't need so I'm curious as to what you believe are the "must haves'" for this kind of road tripping? All I'm looking at adding to the base car thus far is the sunroof, 14-way seats, and lane change assist. Probably Bose too. Somehow I think I'll feel better about the investment by being frugal with the options. I could be wrong though
You'll get a ton of opinions on options lol. I'm in the bay area, just got a C2 and put over 1k miles in 4 weeks (not my DD). I wanted to get through break-in ASAP. Drove up and down Monterey, Petaluma/Sonoma, Point Reyes/Panoramic Hwy, Skyline/1 etc multiple weekends. I found the power of C2 more than enough for these roads. For options:
- I really enjoyed the sunroof with the glass closed, or with the roof partially vented from the back and windows partially down.
- LCA has been quite useful for the tight freeways like 101/golden gate where there's really narrow lanes. For 280 its not necessary at all as the car has good viz. Its really useful at night though, since the 911 is so low, the headlight glare from other cars is quite bothersome.
- I really liked ACC/Innodrive as well. After 100+ miles in the twisties, I just wanted to relax on the freeway back home. Innodrive was my most controversial 'save money?' option. I went with it because I wanted Active Lane Keep, not just LaneKeepAssist. It includes ACC with was $1k anyways and Emergency Stop which is a nice safety feature to have.
- Bose - for me it was a must-have. I had it on by Boxster and its nice. Due to parts shortage I could not upgrade the sound system on my SUV and stuck with a base system which sucks.

I probably overspent on the C2 by most people's standards. But for me I didn't want to wait for a C2S, pay an extra $20k post-tax and miss out on some desired options. Get what you like, but to know what you like I suggest doing as many test drives as possible. Find random dealers selling 992s (even non porsche).

Last edited by luckycanine; 01-18-2022 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by luckycanine:
detansinn (01-18-2022), schuverde (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 03:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm currently number 3 on the allocation waitlist for a C2. Also on the list for a C4S but that could be years before I see one. I plan on doing the multiple state runs as you've done. I'm sensitive to loading the car up with options that I really don't need so I'm curious as to what you believe are the "must haves'" for this kind of road tripping? All I'm looking at adding to the base car thus far is the sunroof, 14-way seats, and lane change assist. Probably Bose too. Somehow I think I'll feel better about the investment by being frugal with the options. I could be wrong though
There are no "must haves" that apply across a complete cross-section of Porsche buyers.

What is a must-have for me, may not be even a consideration for you.

And what matters in this question of "what is a must-have" is only what is a "must-have" for you.

If you like a sunroof, go for it.

If the 14 way seats fit you well, go for it.

If you've listened to the Bose sound system, and like it, go for it.

Etc.

All that said, if you are getting a C2, and planning on road tripping, definitely get the extended range fuel tank.

A better question you may want to ask the peanut gallery here is what options should not be considered if you are trying to keep the budget at a certain level.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (01-18-2022), russbert (01-19-2022), schuverde (01-18-2022), Schwarz992C4S (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 08:29 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For a road tripping 911, I am going to offer up a suggestion that people rarely talk about… PDLS+
The PDLS+, non-Matrix, headlights are totally worth it. They adjust with your speed to allow you to see further down the road at high speeds. They swivel for the corners. Automatic high beams are just brilliant. They’re an outstanding upgrade for those of us that keep driving when the sun sets.

Other things to consider
  • While I appreciate keeping an option sheet lean and setting a budget, it’s important to make your 911 a nice place to be.
  • Sunroof really opens up the cabin and makes things less claustrophobic. With the sunroof, you can let more engine sound in the cabin, weather permitting. Good choice.
  • LCA (blind spot monitoring) should be standard on these cars. The 992 system is excellent and is great at detecting high-speed vehicles that might be showboating up into your blind spot. Every 992 should have LCA. Someone will chime in about situational awareness, but when you’re blasting along by your lonesome, it’s like having a second set of eyes.
  • The base audio is not commensurate with a six figure car. Get the Bose. It’s not as nice as the Burmester, but it doesn’t suck — Goldilocks choice.
  • Adding ACC gives you smarter PDK shift programming in auto mode. It will consider vehicles in front of you when selecting gears. I use ACC through construction zones and stop and go. I actually don’t use it at speed. Worthwhile option.
  • Sport Chrono gives you two more driving modes, a slick selector, and sport response button for utterly authoritative passing. Even you if you just use launch control once and never take it to the track, the package of features are entirely useful for a road tripping 911. I’ve said it before and I know that it is controversial for some folks to hear, but a modern 911 w/o sport chrono is a lesser car. It’s the one package that every 911 should have.
  • The base interior looks cheap and feels cheap. Some people don’t care about that kind of the thing, but most of the time that you will be spending will be inside the car. Make it nice.
  • If you’re getting a RWD 911, the extended fuel tank is a nice option to have. That being said, the 992 is pretty good on gas. I’m north of 50 and, as is, the range of of my C4S is greater than my bladder.

These cars aren’t investments. I measure my ROI on the adventures that I have had in the thing. I’ve already built some amazing memories in this car. Drive it and enjoy it. Treat it like a car. Good luck!

The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
2WheelsRBetter (01-19-2022), Flash992 (01-19-2022), Go Bruins (01-19-2022), Schwarz992C4S (01-19-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 08:30 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Detansinn, with the benefit of your 992 4S retrospectoscope, how do you feel about PTV...like or don't like it....or haven't noticed it? Any issue with rear brake pad wear?
I am going to guess you have no regret about not getting RAS....any insights about a 992 handling without it, taking into account no RAS gets a faster steering ratio?
Do you also have a set of 20/21s and if so how would you describe the difference if any with respect to ride and noise vs the 19/20s?
Thank for the 3rd write up, and look forward to the 4th!
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 11:21 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Detansinn, with the benefit of your 992 4S retrospectoscope, how do you feel about PTV...like or don't like it....or haven't noticed it? Any issue with rear brake pad wear?
I am going to guess you have no regret about not getting RAS....any insights about a 992 handling without it, taking into account no RAS gets a faster steering ratio?
Do you also have a set of 20/21s and if so how would you describe the difference if any with respect to ride and noise vs the 19/20s?
Thank for the 3rd write up, and look forward to the 4th!
PTV+ has been great. No issues. It is extremely predictable which is important when you’re engaged in some hooliganism, which I am not above. 😉

I am still on my original brake pads with no unusual wear, but I won’t be surprised to be replacing them this Spring.

At one point, I had spec’d RAS, but my final build did not have it. Having driven a variety of P cars with RAS, it’s got some benefits, if not quite as dramatic as some would have you believe. Less talked about? You do give up a little rear end feel that you’ll notice when you really push the car. I consider a non-RAS 911 to be a little more of a “classic” feel. With RAS, you’re trading some of that feel for RAS benefits when parking and at high speeds. Truth be told, you can’t go wrong either way. As with many options, it comes down to what you want. People like to point out that the GT3 cars have RAS. It should be noted that the GT3 Cup cars do not.

I have RS Spyder Design 20/21s as my summer setup. I prefer them. The 992 was designed for 20/21 wheels. They better fill the wheel arches. You get a more stable contact patch.

I’m happy with my 19/20 winter wheel set, but every year, I look forward to getting the summies back on in the Spring. They’re fine. The official Porsche winter wheels look OE. No regrets.

I scratch my head when people talk about the 19/20 wheels having more sidewall. Truth be told, regardless which wheel size you run with, these are very low profile tires. The tire pressures that you run with have a much greater bearing on comfort than the wheel size. This is what the “Comfort” pressures are for.

Personally, I don’t run with the comfort pressures, because I prefer the stability at speed and the dynamics of the standard tire pressures.

I haven’t noted a substantial difference in noise when it comes to wheel size. Though it’s tough to draw a conclusion not running the same tires on each of the wheels.

I hope that is helpful. Thank you!
Tompoodie (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022 | 12:51 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Nice write up as always. Great to see you’re still enjoying the car.
detansinn (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022 | 01:07 AM
null
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
I’m north of 50 and, as is, the range of of my C4S is greater than my bladder.
I think I've just adopted a new unit of measure for road trip distance. Thank you.
detansinn (01-19-2022)

Quick Reply: 36k mile report