Sponsored by:

36k mile report

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022 | 06:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohniner
Great report! Porsche 992's are very robust and built to be driven. I've been driving 911's since 1983 and they just keep getting better. My 992 is my favorite (so far) as it's ability to morph from grocery getter, grand tourer to incredibly capable sports car may be under appreciated by many.
Like you I PPF'd the front clip, ceramic coated the car and wheels and never looked back.

I do have one question for you. have you noticed a general reduced amount of brake dust produced compared to 991 series or is it just my imagination?
Agreed 100%. The 992 is an amazing sports car that can play grand tourer and do a fine impression of a supercar. I’ve done plenty of grocery getting in mine. That frunk can swallow bags from Whole Foods. I do have the frunk liner which lets me be pretty careless with what gets thrown up there, including dirty soccer ***** and cleats.

Re Brake dust, it’s tough to say. I have my wheels ceramic coated which makes things considerably easier to clean and slows the initially er.. uh dusting. So, I am not sure that I have an apples-to-apples comparison. That said, I’m not noticing the brake dust to be much different from the 991.2 GTS that I spent time with. Still, maybe the bigger wheels give the dust more places to go.

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2022 | 06:43 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rangerfan94
Fantastic write up! It seems a though you have gotten everything you hoped for from the car, and much more! Money well spent. We are blessed to be able to enjoy them. I'm turning my Cayenne Turbo Coupe into a C4S Coupe that I was able to serendipitously fall into yesterday. More on that soon. Your write up has helped reinforce the decision, as well as my PDK build. Continued driving in good health!
Thank you! That’s going to be a heck of a swap/upgrade for you. Have a blast!
Old 01-16-2022 | 06:51 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Thanks @detansinn I'm on the fence on keeping it past warranty, buying a warranty or not. Likely the result of checking this forum almost hourly and letting all the posts about the glorious manual transmission, different colors, etc. giving me FOMO. I would get a 992.2 to try a manual transmission primarily, otherwise wait until 994.

If I don't go that route, presuming Porsche Vehicle Service Protection cost is $4-6K for the remainder of (what I would consider) the usable life of the car I might consider it reasonable protection against some tragic (non-recall) failure which I could not repair myself.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-16-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 10:34 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by detansinn
If I was plagued by problems, I’d exit before the warranty period, but thus far, the car has met Porsche expectations with no serious issues. I am not sold on the math of an extended warranty for a Porsche 911. While you absolutely need such a thing for a McLaren, I am not sure that you need one here. Of course, everyone’s personal financial situation is different — the difference between begrudgingly writing the “check” for a major repair and not having the cash for a major repair. You need to do what’s right for you.

As for .2 update, I am doubtful that the 992.2 will bring enough changes to the table to merit an upgrade. If I were to buy the same spec C4S today (MY2022) and got it for MSRP, it would be $12-13k more than I paid for my car (pre-pandemic and below MSRP, ah, those were the days). Without a doubt, the 992.2 will be even more expensive with year over year pricing increases. I can’t imagine that it would be worth it if you already own a 992.1 unless you wanted to go up in the model range, ie TTS/TT.

For now, I’ll wait and see what the 994 brings. If Porsche can pull off a plug-in hybrid 911 without significant weight gain, I may go that route.

Thank you!
Thank you for the excellent write-up and sharing you’re experiences! I agree with you regarding extended warranty especially in a MT car. My two, long-term concerns would be the turbos and the PDKs- both high dollar items. But, the turbos have proven to be highly reliable by all reports, and you would logically expect any turbo defect to show during the first 4 years-during the warranty period. So, my bigger concern would be a bad distance sensor-the weak link in a PDK. Although a very low risk, they are starting to occur after the warranty period has expired and Porsche recommends a $25k PDK replacement when it does happen. Ouch! Read “”Guide to Repairing the PDK Transmission” sticky by PV997 in the 997 and 991 forums. T Designs, however, has recently developed an alternative replacement sensor and reputable indie shops in Florida, Georgia, Virginia and Arizona are now doing the PDK distance sensor repair for less than 50% of the Porsche dealer cost.

I look forward to a future report on your coast-to-coast trip with your wife.

Last edited by Fullyield; 01-17-2022 at 10:46 AM.
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 12:28 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here are links to the potential PDK issues. I'm hoping that the displacement distance sensor (masterfully related and documented by @PV997 ) will no longer be such a sword of Damocles given the time elapsed and series progress since the 997.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

https://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_di...on_sensor.html

Great write up and as @ipse dixit mentioned, you should be expecting a check from Porsche

siberian
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 01:30 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Here are links to the potential PDK issues. I'm hoping that the displacement distance sensor (masterfully related and documented by @PV997 ) will no longer be such a sword of Damocles given the time elapsed and series progress since the 997.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

https://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_di...on_sensor.html

Great write up and as @ipse dixit mentioned, you should be expecting a check from Porsche

siberian
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2022 | 01:44 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

After this post, I realized that my state count is off. This is the complete list of states with my travels to date. My 992 C4S has seen 18 (EIGHTEEN) states.

• PA
  • NJ
  • NY
  • DE
  • WV
  • VA
  • KY
  • MD
  • TN
  • AR
  • OK
  • KS
  • MO
  • IL
  • IN
  • OH
  • MI
  • NC
THIRTY ONE more to go! (I am skipping Hawaii, because the rough roads and low speed limits there aren't worth the cost of shipping of the car).
Old 01-17-2022 | 02:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So overlaying mileage wise AK on unseen States you've covered a third of the US... fill 'er up!

siberian
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 02:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
After this post, I realized that my state count is off. This is the complete list of states with my travels to date. My 992 C4S has seen 18 (EIGHTEEN) states.

• PA
  • NJ
  • NY
  • DE
  • WV
  • VA
  • KY
  • MD
  • TN
  • AR
  • OK
  • KS
  • MO
  • IL
  • IN
  • OH
  • MI
  • NC
THIRTY ONE more to go! (I am skipping Hawaii, because the rough roads and low speed limits there aren't worth the cost of shipping of the car).
I want to see Hawai'i on that list ...
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 03:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As soon as they tie in the H-1 interchange!

siberian
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022 | 03:52 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I want to see Hawai'i on that list ...
If I hit all 49, the completionist in me will probably go bucks up to do it. 😉
Old 01-17-2022 | 03:55 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Come back through Illinois and hit me up
detansinn (01-17-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 04:37 AM
Raybold7
Advanced

I've just read your two previous mileage reports and they are superb. Perfect detail for someone just getting into a 992, thank you. I've chosen the same colour (AG) and wheels (RSS) as yourself (car not arriving for a few months yet) and I had planned on front PPF and ceramic. I've also selected the side skirts so after your invaluable info about pitting, I will be sure to get these done as well.

I did ask about the benefits of standard apron over sport a while back and you were the only person kind enough to respond. I am going with standard but I have chosen the exterior painted package to soften the 'full front nose in black' look. While you said it's not a chip magnet, how have you found the front, does the black hide any marks?
The following 2 users liked this post by Raybold7:
aggie57 (01-19-2022), detansinn (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022 | 08:09 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raybold7
I did ask about the benefits of standard apron over sport a while back and you were the only person kind enough to respond. I am going with standard but I have chosen the exterior painted package to soften the 'full front nose in black' look. While you said it's not a chip magnet, how have you found the front, does the black hide any marks?
Thank you for the kind comments!

Porsche puts black plastic in areas likely to get rock or debris strikes. From mirrors to the front fascia, the black plastic hides the impacts.

Good luck with your car. 👍
Old 01-18-2022 | 12:35 PM
schuverde
6th Gear

I'm currently number 3 on the allocation waitlist for a C2. Also on the list for a C4S but that could be years before I see one. I plan on doing the multiple state runs as you've done. I'm sensitive to loading the car up with options that I really don't need so I'm curious as to what you believe are the "must haves'" for this kind of road tripping? All I'm looking at adding to the base car thus far is the sunroof, 14-way seats, and lane change assist. Probably Bose too. Somehow I think I'll feel better about the investment by being frugal with the options. I could be wrong though
detansinn (01-18-2022)

Quick Reply: 36k mile report