Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Artificial supply and demand

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022 | 08:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is the world now. You can throw a tantrum that you want everything back to the way it was, but that’s just not happening.

It’s not just the 992. Try shopping for any luxury good. Have you tried buying a nice watch lately?

We all need to readjust our expectations on what stuff costs.

As for MSRP, consider it the baseline, non negotiable part. The negotiable part is the ADM or market adjustment. Getting a car for MSRP in 2022 is the equivalent of the 5-7% below MSRP in the pre-2020 before times.

If you’re choosing to sit on the sidelines until this madness ends, you’ll be waiting long enough to see everything become an EV.

So, suck it up.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlterZgo (01-12-2022), Go Bruins (01-12-2022), lucycan (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:26 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

There was something like a boomerang effect that happened. When the pandemic hit, most - if not all auto makers had flashbacks of 2008/2009 during the recession and pulled back on the supply chain, cancelled chip orders, parts, etc. Thinking there would be a huge demand gap in people wanting to buy cars - they did not want to suffer with severe over inventory like they did in the great recession which was still top of mind, and nearly ended several automakers (if not for the bail-out). Thus you see the numbers in 2020 being historically low from a total perspective. Also why many of us (including me) got nearly 10% off MSRP when the pandemic started on my new 992 - dealers didn't want to be holding onto cars (I bought mine from a cancelled order/dealer inventory).

Couple that lower supply with then a market that only stalled for a few months - then a boom happened. More money in the market, investments doing great, stimulus money, historically low lending rates, you only live once attitudes, lower house hold expenditures due to no travel, no going out, etc. etc.

If you look even at our rennlist forum over the past few years, we have a tremendous number of 1st time porsche owners (which is great), but add these factors together now you have "over demand" even if the supply chain recovered to what would have been normal levels or even beating 2019, with the greater demand - we still have a supply deficit.
The following 5 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
AlexCeres (01-13-2022), Als992 (01-17-2022), AlterZgo (01-12-2022), detansinn (01-12-2022), russbert (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:37 AM
TheStanman
Racer

I work in economics and strategy in auto industry, so hopefully can provide some insight. Your question regarding non-GT production is a fair one. This is a real supply issue that's not captured in your original data.

There are 2 main things to consider, which malba2366 touched on.

1) 2018/2019 Wrong Comparison Point -This was the end of 991 production run. Need to compare to start of 991. 991 production averaged ~11K for first 3 years

2) 2020 Sales included 991 - that 8.8K sales sales included many leftover 991, so only a subset is 992.

If you consider those factors, 992 production is down 20%+ vs 991 launch. That production deficit builds up creating a backlog of demand.

As malba noted, production is normalizing and we're starting to see that in prices. However, the 911 still needs to work through the demand backlog. Holding demand constant, we need 2 years at ~13K units to truly normalize.

Hope that helps. It's complicated and there are other factors, but supply is the main driver and is very real.

Last edited by TheStanman; 01-12-2022 at 08:38 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TheStanman:
AlterZgo (01-12-2022), chong0 (01-12-2022), Gohoos (01-12-2022), myidsucks (01-12-2022), Noah Fect (01-13-2022), subwoofer (01-12-2022), Tompoodie (01-13-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-12-2022 | 08:46 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
This is the world now. You can throw a tantrum that you want everything back to the way it was, but that’s just not happening.

It’s not just the 992. Try shopping for any luxury good. Have you tried buying a nice watch lately?

Our Miele dishwasher died on New Year's Eve. After calling 11 places, we found the only unsold upper tier unit (not their "best" - "at least a one year wait on order") in Ohio and I drove 5 hours round trip to pick it up.
I did not ask for a discount. Oh, and our plumber was so backed up he couldn't install it until yesterday.
Our son and DIL ordered the top of the line a year ago and had to wait 4 months for it to arrive, but the line has lengthened it seems.

Watches - ha! It's been worse than cars in that market for years now.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 09:30 AM
Drew46
Drifting

Originally Posted by RickyBobby89
For the most part though, this general increase in price has been due to supply chain issues and chip shortages which have resulted in decreased production of car.
Not only is this a flawed assumption - in fact it seems to be demand (or a combination of both) driving the shortages - it completely contradicts the position that you took in your post that there is no decrease in production.

Originally Posted by RickyBobby89
I understand the relationship between supply and demand.
It's pretty apparent that you don't.

I agree with the consistent message in all of the responses above. By definition, the supply/demand relationship (and thus shortages and surpluses) is affected by both supply levels and demand levels. There has been a lot of good material posted here and in the dozen other threads on this topic that supply is at least somewhat constrained. But regardless of whether you accept that position or not, demand is at an all time high. This is true for Porsche and the other manufacturers. Hence a "shortage" or at least a shifting in of the supply curve and a shifting out of the demand curve which leads to a higher market clearing price. Econ 101.
Old 01-12-2022 | 10:08 AM
Gohoos
Intermediate

As for MSRP, consider it the baseline, non negotiable part. The negotiable part is the ADM or market adjustment. Getting a car for MSRP in 2022 is the equivalent of the 5-7% below MSRP in the pre-2020 before times.

If you’re choosing to sit on the sidelines until this madness ends, you’ll be waiting long enough to see everything become an EV.

So, suck it up.
Based on this forum and friends, if you are willing to wait 6+ months there are plenty of Porsche dealers still selling non GT cars for MSRP. I would say that is not the case generally in certain markets, particularly CA and NY, but there are options out there.
nitam (03-29-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 11:01 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Well, each year, there are more people driving, more people making money, and sometimes, it’s just a trend.

Some people don’t understand the G Wagon craze.

Maybe next year the new hotness will be wagons.
Old 01-12-2022 | 11:18 AM
WellDressedCar
Racer

Originally Posted by Newport IRL
These are historic times, in a bad way. Average transaction price for all cars sold in the US in the second half of 2021 are slightly more than MSRP.
Yep, this chart is for all vehicles. It includes the average of both mainstream and luxury models (like the Urus or any McLaren).

However, if you break down the metrics, the average non-premium vehicle (i.e. Toyota's, Hyundai's, Ford, etc) new car transaction price is just over $40K. It is completely nuts that the average, new, boring vehicle on the road is over $40k. It's no wonder the average American household now finances their new non-luxury vehicle for an average of 70 months. The average monthly payment currently is now a whopping $520 per month (https://www.thedrive.com/news/43769/...-month-edmunds). This is nuts. It is no wonder most Americans don't have an adequate retirement savings account...they are spending all of their money on an F-150!

Old 01-12-2022 | 12:00 PM
davidgriffith
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheStanman
I work in economics and strategy in auto industry, so hopefully can provide some insight. Your question regarding non-GT production is a fair one. This is a real supply issue that's not captured in your original data.

There are 2 main things to consider, which malba2366 touched on.

1) 2018/2019 Wrong Comparison Point -This was the end of 991 production run. Need to compare to start of 991. 991 production averaged ~11K for first 3 years

2) 2020 Sales included 991 - that 8.8K sales sales included many leftover 991, so only a subset is 992.

If you consider those factors, 992 production is down 20%+ vs 991 launch. That production deficit builds up creating a backlog of demand.

As malba noted, production is normalizing and we're starting to see that in prices. However, the 911 still needs to work through the demand backlog. Holding demand constant, we need 2 years at ~13K units to truly normalize.

Hope that helps. It's complicated and there are other factors, but supply is the main driver and is very real.
I spoke with my dealer about placing an order a few weeks ago, order time for a C2 Base is 12 months, a C2 Cab 8 months, a C2S 24 months. That's as a 3rd time buyer without asking for a discount. To add to the supply side issues, the dealership has a bunch of 991.1's sitting out back that they can't sell due to emissions so that pushes more buyers into 991.2 and 992 keeping used prices high. I'm impatient so hoping to get a C2 Cab during the summer
Old 01-12-2022 | 12:27 PM
centaur
Banned

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 911 just prior to the onset of the damn COVID. Big mistake, now I can't even order one without jumping through hoops. Looks like it could be a good while even at sticker and really wonder if the discounts we used to get will ever return in my life. Hell, I can't find the damn bicycle I would like to buy right now.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-13-2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Please refrain from using derogatory terms.
Old 01-12-2022 | 12:35 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

One thing to keep in mind too, is that society has changed. Cars used to sit on the lot at the Porsche dealers - sometimes over a year. Now they don't sit at all, so yes - the sales numbers will be up as its a full sell-through of product as soon as they land. Nothing lasts more than a few days. The 2014 911S Cab I bought new sat at the dealer for 14 months before they sold it to me (it had a manual transmission, which was death the the cab market in 2014). The '21 992S Cab (again manual) I replaced it with was at the dealer for 2 days before I snapped it up in Dec 2020.

Why has demand gone up so much? Well, for one thing you can get in a cool car like a Porsche and head out into the country, pretty much an escape from working at home and you are relatively safe from exposure and crowds in your car. You get your freedom back without exposure to the masses. So you give you your season tickets to the pro sports team and sitting around with 40,000 others in an arena to go for a drive instead. Put that money in another direction, together with the funds for scrapped trip to Italy, the big Wedding, or a hundred other things that didn't come to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
AlterZgo (01-12-2022), Dgags (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 12:41 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by centaur
I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 911 just prior to the onset of the damn WuFlu. Big mistake, now I can't even order one without jumping through hoops. Looks like it could be a good while even at sticker and really wonder if the discounts we used to get will ever return in my life. Hell, I can't find the damn bicycle I would like to buy right now.
Hey, what bike to you want to buy? I have two high end Carbon Fiber bikes in my basement I am no longer using and should sell Santa Cruz ( $ 10K build new) and Specialized ( $ 7.2K build new) both tricked out and each with less than 200 miles. Ping me if interested for particulars.

Old 01-12-2022 | 03:03 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, suck it up.
Originally Posted by Keadog
Our Miele dishwasher died on New Year's Eve. After calling 11 places, we found the only unsold upper tier unit (not their "best" - "at least a one year wait on order") in Ohio and I drove 5 hours round trip to pick it up.
I did not ask for a discount. Oh, and our plumber was so backed up he couldn't install it until yesterday.
Our son and DIL ordered the top of the line a year ago and had to wait 4 months for it to arrive, but the line has lengthened it seems.

Watches - ha! It's been worse than cars in that market for years now.
Originally Posted by centaur
I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 911 just prior to the onset of the damn WuFlu. Big mistake, now I can't even order one without jumping through hoops. Looks like it could be a good while even at sticker and really wonder if the discounts we used to get will ever return in my life. Hell, I can't find the damn bicycle I would like to buy right now.
Watches? Dishwasher? Bicycles?

Heck, have you taken a look at bacon prices? In some cases it might actually be cheaper just to buy NY strip and call it a day.
AlexCeres (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022 | 03:14 PM
centaur
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Watches? Dishwasher? Bicycles?

Heck, have you taken a look at bacon prices? In some cases it might actually be cheaper just to buy NY strip and call it a day.
You got it. The Boars Head Cracked Peppermill Turkey Breast and Top Round Corned Beef that we buy has gone up 25% and about 30% of the time Publix here is out of it. Sucks.
Old 01-12-2022 | 03:17 PM
woobiee
Pro

Crab meat prices were (or still is?) approaching lobster meat prices!

Quick Reply: Artificial supply and demand