Sponsored by:

992 CS Alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 03:03 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts
Default 992 CS Alignment recommendations

Hi All.. Are there any alignment threads here in the 992 section. I looked and searched and found nothing. Even Googled. Does no one play around with their 992 suspensions?!
Old 01-09-2022, 09:17 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

I think it depends on what you want out of the car. Are you looking for better handling on the track? Better tire life? Mostly street driven? The factory specs work well for all around driving. It is worth checking to see if the car is actually aligned to factory specs, however.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:36 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Look at the 991 forum.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:11 AM
Mb111
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 88 Posts

I brought mine in for its first annual service and told the SA while they had it to check the alignment because I recently started getting a slight steering wheel shake at 80+ on the highway (ahem, on those rare occasions when I have to pass someone at high speed) and sure enough when they put it on the alignment machine it was previously way out of the green zones on the print-out they gave me when I picked it up. However, while it's better now and I know the alignment is perfect, it still doesn't feel totally smooth at high speeds (80+) so I called back and the SA suggested we do a high-speed wheel balancing, which I'm taking it in tomorrow to do. When I had the winter tires put on, I don't think they did a great job fully balancing the wheels.

On the print-out from the alignment you can tell that there are factory determined parameters for caster, camber and toe so if you want to play with any of those you probably couldn't take it to a dealer to have it done. Same way every time I bring it in they pump the rears to factory suggested 45psi and my teeth are always chattering on the ride out.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:22 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I think it depends on what you want out of the car. Are you looking for better handling on the track? Better tire life? Mostly street driven? The factory specs work well for all around driving. It is worth checking to see if the car is actually aligned to factory specs, however.
Looking for better street performance alignment... dont really care about tire life. The reason I ask is that I have a 718 GT4 and the factory alignment was a S@it S@ow and im still fiddling
Old 01-09-2022, 01:48 PM
1100S
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

On my previous 997.2 and 991.1 C4s cars the alignment on the cars from new was quite a bit off from the "factory specifications" In fact both had less front negative camber and more rear camber than spec. That led to significant understeer. Proper alignment transformed those cars.
My new '21 C2s actually felt pretty good on track (for a "street" car) but took it in to my local independent who does a lot of track set up for 911s. Interestingly, the 992 can actually get about 1.8 degrees negative on the fronts where before on the 991 it was about 1.4.
He adjusted the front to that max and balanced it with 1.8 on the rear (which was pretty much where it was from the factory). The only oddball thing on my car from new was that there was small toe out! on the right rear.
Hope that helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1100S:
audioslave992 (01-11-2022), dnimi123 (01-09-2022), ooberge (06-07-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 06:18 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111
I brought mine in for its first annual service and told the SA while they had it to check the alignment because I recently started getting a slight steering wheel shake at 80+ on the highway (ahem, on those rare occasions when I have to pass someone at high speed) and sure enough when they put it on the alignment machine it was previously way out of the green zones on the print-out they gave me when I picked it up. However, while it's better now and I know the alignment is perfect, it still doesn't feel totally smooth at high speeds (80+) so I called back and the SA suggested we do a high-speed wheel balancing, which I'm taking it in tomorrow to do. When I had the winter tires put on, I don't think they did a great job fully balancing the wheels.

On the print-out from the alignment you can tell that there are factory determined parameters for caster, camber and toe so if you want to play with any of those you probably couldn't take it to a dealer to have it done. Same way every time I bring it in they pump the rears to factory suggested 45psi and my teeth are always chattering on the ride out.
80+ MPH is the flow of traffic on 70 MPH roads in Pennsylvania. Other states have glorious 85 MPH sections of highway where the flow of traffic is around 100MPH. So, no shame for 80+ MPH. You should definitely not be feeling any shake. With alignment fixed, it's likely a wheel balance issue or a slightly bent wheel.
The following users liked this post:
got2go (01-10-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 08:34 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb111

It is quite possible that you happen to have an alignment issue as well, but wheel alignment has absolutely nothing to do with a vibration you feel through the steering wheel at any speed. A vibration is only due to the wheels being out of balance. I am surprised that the dealer did not tell you this when you mentioned the problem that you are experiencing.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:56 PM
briik
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

removed, experiencing errors w/ forum.

Last edited by briik; 07-09-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:25 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

alignment never causes vibration,it has to be something that rotates. the most likely is wheels.
theoretically a louse tie rod end or bad ball joint could cause some louse felling and slop in the steering but id bet against it in a new car. carl

Last edited by 4carl; 07-09-2022 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (07-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 CS Alignment recommendations